The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARE THERE STILL PLACES WHERE HAM LICENSES CAN BE BOUGHT W/O TEST  (Read 97657 times)
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2017, 07:04:13 AM »

More plankeye gibberish that's as incomprehensible as another well known troll's drunk posts. The resemblance is uncanny.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 07:08:11 AM by N0YXB » Logged
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2017, 07:39:11 AM »

THIS IS WD8T... edit...VECs have been selling licenses and handing them out to their good buddies for years and years...

PLANKEYE

...edit...I understand what he is saying ...

It's clear that neither of you understand the current and/or the previous licensing structure.

There has NEVER been a proven case anywhere of a VEC that violated the integrity of the VE licensing concept.

However, I can tell you for a FACT, that BEFORE the VEC was created, I was offered to be "signed off" for a ticket.
I turned the offer down,.................. Heck, I coulda been a WA8###.
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2017, 04:58:42 PM »

M0HCN

Yea, the licenses are all pretty noddy, but they only form a starting point, setting some very minimal baseline to get on the bands, no big achievement there.

I do not understand the whole pride in having a license thing, pride in being a good operator with a clean station I can see, pride in DXCC or whatever I can see (not something I am interested in, but it is a broad church), pride in having built some neat engineering I can see, but pride in having passed an easy test and gotten a callsign, not so much.....

Regards, Dan.

PLANKEYE

The above statement is not me.  This thread was not started by me but are there still places where ham licenses can be bought w/o test?  In the history of our beloved hobby has there EVER been such a thing? 
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2017, 09:32:11 AM »

You’re getting more strange with every post.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2017, 01:59:12 PM »

A few years back in Illinois, some Secretary of State (drivers license) offices were selling CDL licenses.  Eventually the head man and some underlings went to jail over this.  If something like this high level crime can happen than it is not hard to imagine that a low level crime like selling a ham radio license occasionally happens.
Art
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2017, 04:50:41 PM »

Art, didn’t that go all the way up to governor Ryan?  Highway fatality from one of the sold CDL drivers, or something like that.  Seems like the revolving door from the IL governor’s mansion led straight to the penitentiary.  And who could ever forget Blagoivich? 

Fine, fine state that Illinois is!
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2017, 06:45:22 PM »

M0HCN

Yea, the licenses are all pretty noddy, but they only form a starting point, setting some very minimal baseline to get on the bands, no big achievement there.

I do not understand the whole pride in having a license thing, pride in being a good operator with a clean station I can see, pride in DXCC or whatever I can see (not something I am interested in, but it is a broad church), pride in having built some neat engineering I can see, but pride in having passed an easy test and gotten a callsign, not so much.....

Regards, Dan.

PLANKEYE AGAIN HERE

The license isn't to be able to drive a vehicle it's about getting on the air, having fun and fellowship is the main thing here in radio.  We are not talking about a truck drivers license but a ham license.  But I think the post above makes some really good points, the license is pretty noddy and just a starting point.  If you have pride in having built some neat engineering I can see, but pride in having passed an easy test and gotten a callsign, not so much.....     
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2017, 02:43:42 PM »

K9MHZ--Correct, it went to the top man.  Only thing I disagreed with was the fact that it was equipment failure on the truck that caused the fatality not the fact that the driver had a purchased CDL.  The press spun this event into the stratosphere. 
Art
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2017, 07:34:47 PM »

I personally witnessed a local VE, change two answers on a General license test so a guy would pass.  I tend to think if the money was right, he would just out-right sell you a license. 

WC4V
Steve

The VE system is a joke, any one should have realized cheating would occur and I've heard about it many times.
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2017, 07:38:15 PM »

I was told years ago, probably mid 80's, that "no General class ham around here can copy CW because a VE signs off on them".   One of the signers owned a very small ham radio/CB store.   Most of those guys are long gone now.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: