The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do you keep your QSL cards?  (Read 17024 times)
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2012, 02:05:47 AM »

Do you stuff them away in a drawer?

Do you proudly display them on the walls of your shack?

Do you keep them in an index album(s)

I'm interested to know the best way to display QSL cards

Simon
KB3YLQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 04:19:18 AM »

As a brand new ham, I'll be watching this thread with interest. No QSL cards received or sent yet. Are the electronic ones the norm these days, or do hams still prefer postal QSL cards?

Loren
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 04:28:54 AM »

Of course, I was referring to the 'real' printed QSL cards Smiley

I use LOTW, (although my QSL rate is abysmal).  I always send a hard copy QSL card for my first contact with a new DXCC. and request the same.

Simon
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 04:40:25 AM »

http://kg4rul.info/BinderCover.jpg
I keep mine, in a binder, in 2 up plastic sleeves.  No electronic cards for me.
KB3YLQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 05:40:30 AM »

I can see the benefits of electronic ones, but like anything digital, sometimes it just doesn't feel like the "real thing!"
KG4LMZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 06:00:02 AM »

I keep them in "photo boxes", those roughly shoebox sized boxes intended for storing your snapshots.  I added 5" x 7" index card dividers and order the cards alphabetically by call sign.  The digital log on the computer takes care of turning other data bits, like a date and time, into a call sign, if I need to access a specific card.
W0AAA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 06:05:48 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU-5gGYNFSc    Wink  WØAAA
WB0U

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 06:19:37 AM »

I store QSL cards in plastic flip top boxes designed to hold index cards.  Shoe boxes also work to store cards.

I am pursuing a 10 meter WAS award.  I have a photo album with a pouch (4" x 6") for each state, arranged alphabetically, to store these QSLs.      

To display cards on the wall in the shack, I connect the cards using a stapler.  The cards are butted together with no overlap and two staples hold each card to the one above it.  This makes the cards easier to read instead of being behind plastic in a purchased QSL card holder.

I also use LotW with a return rate is 45%.  I miss receiving QSLs with the envelopes and stamps from overseas.

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 07:55:46 AM »

Ham 55 years.  QSL cards coming out of my keister!  Roll Eyes

I started out sticking them to the wall....then the rest of the walls....then in sleeves which held a few dozen....then boxes..... then I gave up.  I just throw them into a draw which is now getting difficult to find anything in because of the cards.

This is why I no longer encourage anyone to send me cards anymore.  Then came retirement and on a fixed (very) income and can no longer afford to buy nice printed cards plus postage.... then too lazy to pack them up and send them to the ARRL for dissemination....tried LotW and quickly realized that I'm either to damn dumb or old to learn that method.

There you have it..... my history!  I did just send two cards with SASE & green stamps for the Titanic commemorative QSL cards..... very special cards for me.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 09:59:33 AM »

If your are going to store your cards in a box, look around in your attic or at yard sales for plastic boxes used to store the old 5 1/2" floppy disks.  Many of them have multiple dividers to aid in organizing.
WA7KPK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 10:00:29 AM »

Most of mine are in a box in the garage somewhere. I think. They've been stored away since about 1980 when I packed up the shack to go do stuff like get married and raise kids. I'd sure like to find them, along with my WAS certificate, my ARRL Life Member plaque, my Clean Sweep mug from the '79 Sweepstakes, my 10-10 awards, and - most prized and least replaceable - my membership certificate in the Rag Chewers' Club.

Since I returned to HF in March I've gotten one, count 'em, one paper QSL. My EQSLs are stored in a folder on a USB key, and backed up on a server. My LotW QSLs are stored on the ARRL's machines. Times have indeed changed.
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 10:40:29 AM »

As a brand new ham, I'll be watching this thread with interest. No QSL cards received or sent yet. Are the electronic ones the norm these days, or do hams still prefer postal QSL cards?

Loren

I still prefer paper QSLs, but I don't make enough contacts for QSLing to get prohibitively expensive. I know of some contesters who get too many requests and don't even reply to SASEs anymore. Most of them update their QRZ profiles to reflect this, so you don't waste your card and postage.

As a new ham, keep in mind that when sending QSLs, it's best if you enclose an SASE, unless otherwise noted. Also keep in mind that few if any DX entities need a card from a US ham, so unless you do send an SAE and money or an IRC for postage, a card will be sent via the bureau, if at all. The bureau is definitely not the fastest method of QSLing, although I did get a card in only about 9 months that way, but over a year is more typical from what I've heard.

-- Tom
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 11:52:14 AM »

Ham 55 years.  QSL cards coming out of my keister!  Roll Eyes

Do NOT display those  Grin

I use file boxes - sort of green and black marble finish, with lids, and I sort by country, rather than by call sign.  Makes it easier for kids browsing through the boxes -- they seldom get the logic of filing "Greece" under "SV".

So far, I have five boxes for Japan, three for USSR/Russia and about 14 for "other DX".  US cards are by state, in eight boxes.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 01:09:39 PM »

Well, I used to keep them in sleeve's on the wall back in 1978-1980's when I first got licensed.  Then I was inactive for a while and got active again in 2001. since then I have Been doing a bit of qsling.  I recently got my first batch of full color two sides printed  cards and they are impressive to me.  I used to use only a simply black and whit card with just the needed info on the front.  I send buro cards back via the buro, except I always return SWL cards direct, with a nice note.

Most of my cards are in some metal boxes, ( like oversized cookie tins) about shoe box size. and the current batch to be filed is on the desk in a nice little recipe car holder gizmo. Any cards to go for awards are in a Manila envelope marked  TO ARRL.  I have a few important to me awards on the wall, like dxcc and WAS and my ARRL life membership plaque, and the rest of the awards go in to a 2 inch binder with those clear plastic sleeves in them an I put two awards into each page.  I call it my I Love Me book...Smiley  I do enjoy looking at them and send off probably 300 cards a year, for one reason or another.  I also do LOTW and will up load  to eqsl, and I keep a running log  on one computer for DX labs for  my call and a log on AC Log for the club call on a different computer.  Its fun to work folks all over the world and the card is like a thank you for  the Q...
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 01:49:52 PM »

Cards are kept in shoe boxes by callsign.

Cards with really nice graphics (and or rare prefix)
are scanned onto a JPEG file and uploaded to a 5" x 7"
Digital Photo Frame and set to "Slide Show Mode".

Makes a nice conversation piece when showing non hams your shack.

Ken AD6KA
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: