The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu G-450A Wiring Oops, Pulled off molex and need to figure out rotor wiring  (Read 913 times)
N4DWS

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2016, 03:46:16 AM »

I pulled off the molex connector on the controller end and I really cannot take down my tower on my own to figure out the wiring.  Can anyone tell me what the resistances would be for the pins from the rotor with it pointing at about 260 degrees?
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 04:27:43 AM »

Make the measurements and post them. Some of us that don't have that exact rotor can probably provide some good info.
AB3TH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 11:47:33 AM »

It's a two-phase AC motor with a position potentiometer.  You can find a manual at:
http://www.foxtango.org/ft-library/FT-Library/nineties/G-450A_650A_1000A_Manual_and_schematic.pdf

I don't know what resistance the pot is.  Basically two groups of three wires.  Three for the pot, three for the motor.  You'll get pure resistance between any two of the three pot wires.  Since you're not at exactly 180 degrees those resistances will all be different.  You'll read the winding resistance of the motor on the other three (there's also a shunt cap but ignore that for now).  The winding resistances are the same if you measure from the common to either side.  Easy to identify the common.  On the pot, the highest resistance is between two ends.  So, you know which is the wiper.  Now you have four possible combinations (two motor and two pot).  Only one combination will make the rotor  go to the correct position.  Others will drive the rotor to the limit in one direction or the other or the position won't match the dial.  So long as you don't mix pot and motor wires you shouldn't break anything.  You like puzzles?  If you have an inductance meter you can confirm which wires are for the motor.
N4DWS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 12:10:05 PM »

Cheesy  Thanks to all you who responded!  I have a good plan now.  I will post what I find and what I plan to do.  Ideally, others will benefit from this as well.  (Or better yet, not get into this situation.)
Dorian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: