The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wouxum  (Read 11132 times)
KK6HVO

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2014, 07:47:56 PM »

I read the following from a Wouxum reseller. I would like to know whether any users of the KG-UV2D has experienced any of the issues??

*All Wouxun dual band radios suffer from a defect I refer to as "memory loss".  At some point of time, ALL Wouxun dual band radios will develop this condition.  With no warning, when the radio is turned on, it will revert to speaking Chinese and the channel read-out will revert to Channel Number even if it was set for Channel Name.  Often times, the frequencies programmed into memory are also lost.  Reprogramming the radio via computer will correct the problem but this correction will only last a short time.  Perhaps a week, perhaps a day but normally it will only last one on/off cycle.  Wouxun will blame this problem on using after market software or any other excuse they can think of at the time.  After talking to some experts in the field, I have been told that a certain chip in the radio gets information rewritten to it with each turn-off of the radio.  I've been told that a normal chip should successfully complete this cycle a million times before it fails and that Wouxun must be using a really cheap component to be getting such early failures.  I have seen this problem occur on a new radio within one to two months.  This problem has existed with all their dual band radios and has been a known problem for several years and they refuse to correct it."
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 09:05:37 PM »

You get what you pay for. Spend more money, get a better radio.
Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, Alinco
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 04:41:00 AM »

I have a 'UV-2d' and haven't had this problem in the two years I've had it.  Actually hadn't heard about it either, maybe I'm just 'out of date'?
 - Paul
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 09:11:17 AM »

You get what you pay for. Spend more money, get a better radio.
Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, Alinco

This is what has been said all along.  These cheap radios are sometimes made with cheap, rejected parts from the big 3 in Japan.  Bad lots of parts can be few and far between, but can also be more frequent, and that can be in ANYTHING made in China where QC used to be non-existent. 

China is starting to straighten out it's act now just as Japan did--but they've a long, LONG way to go.

Just as KQ6Q said, if you want a good, dependable radio, spend a little more--and you'll get it.  YOU ONLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR--and if you don't spend much, you don't get much!
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 03:58:40 PM »

Have had mine for 3 years, no problems at all. I know 4 others that have the same radio all have had them for the same amount of time and they have had no problems. I have never heard anyone say anything about this happening. In short it's a great radio especially considering the price! I used it quite a bit working AO50 with it but now I'm not real active on 2 FM and only use it once a month or less but it always has been and still is a very reliable radio.
KF7WTX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 06:39:07 PM »

Mine had that and it was sent in for a free repair. I was told by my dealer that was very common with that radio.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 06:56:59 PM »

Just as KQ6Q said, if you want a good, dependable radio, spend a little more--and you'll get it.  YOU ONLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR--and if you don't spend much, you don't get much!

Let's see, Kenwood has the TS440 which develops a dot problem as the potting compound on the PLL board becomes conductive with age.  The early runs of the TS570D would drain the memory battery in a couple of months.  The TS850 and TS950 has problems where the memory battery will drain and ruin components on the circuit board.

Icom has a long series of radios where the plastic trimmer caps go bad and have to be replaced. If you let the memory battery completely drain, then the RAM board goes dead and you have to send it back to Icom for reprogramming.  GO read the eham.net reviews of the Icom 211 if you want to read about a real disaster in a radio.

The Yaesu FT857D and FT897D have displays that develop lines in them, and ceramic filters that fail.  The bias was also set wrong on these early productions of these models, causing distorted SSB audio and eventually self oscillation on 6m.  The FT100 needed internal grounding to prevent self oscillation on 12 and 10m.  The FT2000 had roofing filters that were absolutely useless.

Yep, spend more money and get a rig from the "big 3".  They sure have their act together compared to the Chinese radios.

John AF5CC
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 07:52:43 AM »

Sure the big three had their problems.  It all has to do with the hunt for profits.  Didn't you see where the almighty God has been replaced with the almighty dollar? 

The dealerships now have the stock and the repair facilities/parts for these HTs, but in the beginning, if the thing broke down, you literally had to throw it away and buy another, since to get the thing repaired you had to spend way more than buying another cost you.

Sure, those Chinese factories are beginning to straighten out their problems.  You can see that in the prices of the newer models--they're going up.
KK6HVO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 01:22:28 PM »

Thanks all, I understand the adage "you get what you pay for." I was looking around for another HT and came across the dealer which basically had enough with non supported repairs (warranty) so they are giving up on them. Now they are selling Anytone HT's.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 03:37:58 PM »

Kenwood TS2000's had problems with ceramic filters and the ACC2 jacks.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 06:29:21 PM »

Hello, I have the Wouxun KGUV2D since it first came out, and have never had a problem with it. Also a number of our club members have them with no problems. They are difficult to program with the key board, so most owners opt for the software programing, as I do. The owners that have the problem with the programing changing is a first. This can happen very easily if you do not download the radios program into your computer before making changes. If you program just the channels and frequencies without setting the the other radio parameters when you download your changes it will revert back to its original programing Chinese voice included. That is why before programing your radio using the software (any Wouxun software), you must download the programing in the radio to your computer in case you make an error in the program, you have your original information that you can put back in the radio.

Hope this helps,

K2OWK

KF7WTX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 09:05:09 AM »

This is from wouxun.us : Due to lack of factory support on warranty issues, we will no longer sell Wouxun radios after our present inventory is gone
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 05:39:48 PM »

This is from wouxun.us : Due to lack of factory support on warranty issues, we will no longer sell Wouxun radios after our present inventory is gone

In my opinion, that said it all.  The manufacturer will NOT stand behind their product.
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 09:17:30 AM »

No, I'm sure they don't. But, I purchased mine with the programming software and cable, a spare battery pack, drop in charger, upgraded antenna and car charger for less then $120.00 delivered to my door direct from China in 2 weeks. I have had no problems but if I do I'll pitch it and keep the battery packs, antenna and chargers then buy another one for another hundred bucks. If you have another more popular brand that has support and somthing happens to it I guess you can have it fixed but what would the cost be? Probably a hundred bucks or more plus shipping.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: