The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CQ WW DX SSB  (Read 32123 times)
W6GX

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2014, 09:49:36 PM »

This big contest is on this weekend.  When I was a nØØb I used to pick up thirty or fourty ATNOs from this important contest.  Of course those days are long gone for me.  Some of you are still relatively new to DX'ing so I assume you will be on the air looking for new ones.  As for me I'll be happy to pick up a few bandfills, in particular on the low bands.  I'm not working the contest to achieve a good score.  For me it's all about improving my DXCC stats.

What is your aspiration?

Here's a link to a list of countries that will be active during this contest:  http://www.ng3k.com/misc/cqs2014.html

Jonathan W6GX
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 12:44:33 AM »

I agree with the above.  

Now, if you're relatively new to this game, be sure to bring a DXer's mentality to this if you aren't a contester.  You (obviously) should be looking for "new ones" and band fills.  Unless your country count is heading towards the 300 range, you should be able to add a couple of ATNOs each year.

For instance, Macau (XX) is going to be activated by a group.  That's one not everyone has.

I remember working Libya (5A), simplex, once upon a time on 40.  That was during a major DXpedition to it (the pileups outside of the contest were insane).  However, they worked the contest (it was CQ CW, but the principle holds).  

Because there was so much on, the contesters weren't swooping in to work it and yet it was hard to find on the crowded band.  But, I worked it easily because I did find it.  It was basically me and them for that precious moment.

CQWW has treasures in it every year unless your country count is very highly elevated.  There is a better than average chance for the smaller station to get a reasonably clean shot at some pretty choice DX.  There will also be some terrible simplex pileups and, worse, terrible pileups that you belatedly discover are over places like OX (zone 40) that you probably worked long ago.

But, spotting networks are your friend (though again, there is so much on, not all of it gets spotted).
BA4TB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 03:10:42 AM »

I'd like to work more states in the contest for my WAS totals.
I'll be in the contest anyway as Multi-Single HP using my call sign,hope the conditions help.

Dale BA4TB
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 03:53:19 AM »

I really hope the magenetic fields quiet down before this weekend......I haven't been able to hear squat!.....

V
K3NRX

W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 06:35:27 AM »

I can't remember the last time I worked a new one during a contest. Probably around 2005-2006. Even bandfills, maybe one a year (usually on 10m). At this point in the game I'm only playing for the sake of beating my previous scores and maybe breaking top-10 North America in my category.

I'd like to work more states in the contest for my WAS totals.
I'll be in the contest anyway as Multi-Single HP using my call sign,hope the conditions help.
Dale BA4TB
I'll be glad to give you New Jersey on as many bands as I can Wink
You may find that the ARRL DX contests in the spring will be better for WAS goals than CQWW, but you never know.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
M0TTB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 07:32:16 AM »

I usually have a battle with a local friend to see who gets to 40 zones first, or highest number anyway. As I only do LoTW for dxcc, any missing LoTW bandslots are welcome as well.

Andy
London'ish

Keeping order on
www.birdforum.net
www.shipsnostalgia.com
KD7HNN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 12:06:04 PM »

Personally I think most of the regular posters on the DX forum are newbies. I have heard many of them in pile-ups using nooob behavior (not listening, calling while the DX station is transmitting, calling with the last 2 letters of their call, etc). The DX Cluster has become a crutch that the "new" generation of DXers cant live without, just point and shoot! If there are no spots they wonder where all the DX is. In an attempt to improve skill, I challenge people to not use the clusters this weekend. Enter unassisted or if you don't send in a log just turn the cluster / skimmers OFF. Tune around the bands and find stuff on your own. Get a feeling for the propagation and when to change bands. Figure out tricks to bust the pile-up with your 100w and dipole. Use you skill to find and work stuff other than the "garden variety" DX. You will have much more success working semi - rare DX by finding and working them before they're spotted and you have to compete with 500 clickers ALL zero beating the DX. Course some might give up and possibly quite DXing forever because it becomes too hard, but it will make you a better operator.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 12:19:23 PM by KD7HNN » Logged
KD7HNN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 09:46:34 AM »

Activity always seems to make it's own propagation. Come 00z tomorrow the bands will come alive!

I really hope the magenetic fields quiet down before this weekend......I haven't been able to hear squat!.....

V
K3NRX

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 10:06:10 AM »

Not looking for any ATNO's, bandfills or anything. But I will be trying to hold a run frequency, CQ'ing and seeing how deep I can work into EU and JA. Not deep distance-wise, but picking up new-to-me-never-worked-calls before. I suppose that's a "different kind of ATNO" :-).

(My card sorter tells me that due to great and conditions he is getting huge M-bag's of cards from Japan every couple of months!!!)

It helps when 10M is open because there's pretty much infinite bandwidth available for finding a run frequency there! I contrast that with 40M phone in a DX contest where there's hardly any bandwidth. I have some hope that with high solar flux and maybe the sun calming down a little bit before this weekend, that 10M/15M will be as good as last year.

I did OK running on phone in e.g. WAE SSB. That was a pretty small pond compared to CQ WW SSB. But I still have a lot of room for improving my skills!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:24:48 AM by N3QE » Logged
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 01:32:01 PM »

Am hoping to hear 4U1UN on the air.  I could use some bandfills for sure.  Perhaps I'm just dreaming Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 02:08:41 PM »

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an ATNO?

N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 02:16:57 PM »

All Time New One

Cheesy

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 02:48:48 PM »

All Time New One

Cheesy

Thanks!

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 03:21:08 PM »

If someone says they worked a 'new one' on 10m that means it's a new band.  'All-time' means a new contact on ANY band.

Jonathan W6GX
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 03:23:40 PM »

It's been two years since I worked an ATNO during a contest. I still need bandfills so this should be fun.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: