The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-480SAT Problem  (Read 20280 times)
W9JTL

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2014, 02:24:40 PM »

All,

I have a Kenwood TS-480SAT that turned on this morning, the remote head said "HELLO" for 5 seconds and then the head turned off.  Now it will not turn on.  I had this happen once before, and after about 5 minutes, it started working by itself again.  This time I have tried different power sources and no luck.  The red power light turns on the main unit but the remote head does not.  I've tried replacing the cable that goes from the main unit to the remote head with no success.  I notice that when go to plug the cable into the remote head I hear crackling sounds, so there must be some power going to it.  Has anyone else seen this before?  Any ideas on what to try next?Huh
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 09:52:08 PM »

Someone had the very same problem: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TS-480/conversations/topics/5234
May be if you post in the Yahoo group you'll get a solution. I am not a member so I did not search further.
Perhaps it is only a corroded or bent connector. Check/clean the inside of the connector where the RJ plug goes.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 04:15:12 AM »

Interesting. Have you unplugged everything plugged into it other than head? It sounds like firmware may be corrupt. Have you installed latest firmware before this issue? Also you might check firmware update switch inside of rig. Be gentle with switch.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W9JTL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 04:20:42 AM »

I haven't done any firmware upgrades.  I also thought maybe software related because the HELLO screen should show and then go off.  Anyone know what to look for or check if it is firmware?  Any way to reset it without the power coming on though?
W9JTL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 04:46:09 AM »

Just a follow up.  I have re-crimped the end of the remote cable thinking one end was bad.  Also looked for signs of corrosion inside the unit.  All looks good.  Even tried cleaning the ends to make sure that was the problem.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 05:11:32 AM »

I haven't done any firmware upgrades.  I also thought maybe software related because the HELLO screen should show and then go off.  Anyone know what to look for or check if it is firmware?  Any way to reset it without the power coming on though?

There is a switch inside rig. Place it in update mode and reflash firmware.  Instructions are in link below.

Click Here
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 05:15:32 AM by W8JX » Logged

KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 05:57:54 AM »

Not a good idea. If the processor is not coming up correctly and the radio turning on, how do you know it will operate correctly to reflash the firmware? A gamble to me.
W9JTL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 06:59:27 AM »

In normal operation, the red light comes come on the transceiver.  with the remote head disconnected I have tried connecting via the ARHP-10 software.  no luck.

So I followed the instructions for a firmware reset.  disconnected ALL cables, including power.  I then flipped the S201 switch.  Connected the PC cables only , plugged the power cable in, and then powered up the power supply.  the red light does not come on the radio.  (maybe by design?)  I still tried to do the firmware push with the same com port and baud rate as I always have and it says it cannot detect the TS-480.....  So I unplugged everything, flipped the S201 switch back and connected only the power and the red light will come on.....  It does not seem the transceiver is allowing any connection to it.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 07:22:59 AM »

Not a good idea. If the processor is not coming up correctly and the radio turning on, how do you know it will operate correctly to reflash the firmware? A gamble to me.

Reflash is a lower level boot but it will not reflash if microprocessor is not on line. No danger here. Only danger is interrupting power while doing it.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 07:24:44 AM »

In normal operation, the red light comes come on the transceiver.  with the remote head disconnected I have tried connecting via the ARHP-10 software.  no luck.

So I followed the instructions for a firmware reset.  disconnected ALL cables, including power.  I then flipped the S201 switch.  Connected the PC cables only , plugged the power cable in, and then powered up the power supply.  the red light does not come on the radio.  (maybe by design?)  I still tried to do the firmware push with the same com port and baud rate as I always have and it says it cannot detect the TS-480.....  So I unplugged everything, flipped the S201 switch back and connected only the power and the red light will come on.....  It does not seem the transceiver is allowing any connection to it.

Do you know anyone with a 480 so you can swap heads. This will tell you if problem is in main body or head.

W9JTL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 07:27:22 AM »

Unfortunately, I don't.  But I have noticed that "sometimes" a red light will come on the head.  I think it is good.  With the head removed you should still be able to contact the transceiver with a  PC, but it won't connect... it seems the microprocessor is not on-line.  Any way to check it or reset it?  Or is this an indication that it is completely bad?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 09:07:35 AM »

Unfortunately, I don't.  But I have noticed that "sometimes" a red light will come on the head.  I think it is good.  With the head removed you should still be able to contact the transceiver with a  PC, but it won't connect... it seems the microprocessor is not on-line.  Any way to check it or reset it?  Or is this an indication that it is completely bad?

I have owned a 480 for about 5 years now. Got it used too and have had no trouble. As far as I know rig will not remote without head attached. The brains are in head so to speak.

KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 06:33:31 PM »

Reflash is a lower level boot but it will not reflash if microprocessor is not on line. No danger here. Only danger is interrupting power while doing it.

No danger from power loss. Hook it all back up and it will start from where it left off.....
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 07:16:50 PM »

And you are privy to the operation of the processor used in the 480 and Kenwoods programming of it??? Tell us more about the processor used?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 08:40:52 AM »

And you are privy to the operation of the processor used in the 480 and Kenwoods programming of it??? Tell us more about the processor used?

It has nothing to do with that. The processor has to be in a maintenance mode to rewrite flash. You cannot simply force a write on it. Always a troll causing trouble. BTW  I have talked with engineer that designed 570 and 480 have you? Knowledge scares you huh?

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: