The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 20 Amp shack  (Read 44091 times)
W3RSW

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2014, 07:45:13 AM »

...a two sided blade, imagine that.  Grin
Contact on both sides. Revolutionary.  Wonder what blade thickness is of both the recepticle and the plug?  Grin

Well I will say this in the interest of dragging out the thread, but I think most has already been mentioned.

Seriously, fascinating discussion about differences in quality and types of receptacles and plugs from you guys that work with E wiring daily.  For those not quite so in the know:

Went into ACE hardware and saw bins of 120 / 20A/ 3's recepticals side by side. One set priced at $4.95 each, the other at $1.95 each.

One bunch was made by Leviton, in USA and actually had four sets of contacts , two perpendicular sets in the broader bladed, neut. white side and doubles in the brass, hot side and green, ground side.  There was a copper contact spring leaf on the front that would contact a metal cover plate if used. --other markings "spec grade," "SA," " UL," of course, and also inside circles, Cu and AL with a slash through it meaning copper wire to connections only, no aluminum.  One year guarentee, fwiw.

The other bunch made in China. Don't remember nomenclature.

Obviously I've copied stuff from the one I bought and have in hand.
Seems like the bins are always empty in Lowe's. Wonder what the contractors are putting in around here.  Grin

On another note, if I wondered what other outlets in the shack and around the house were on the same leg as the outlet I used for a 120vac powered amp, I would put in a dedicated 120 line of known wire guage and length for that medium powered amp.  ...and since I was going to that trouble, a dedicated 240 line would seem to be warranted. Never know when you might want to step up your stable.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 07:57:14 AM by W3RSW » Logged

Rick, W3RSW
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2014, 07:47:31 AM »

I feel sorry for you.

Why? Just makes you more of a clown! LOL

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2014, 09:15:34 AM »

An interesting read.  I installed a 30 amp 240V circuit in my shack, so I don't have to worry about anything!  Oh yes I do..my 240V measures 252V rms

Mark N1UK
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2014, 09:25:59 AM »

I feel sorry for you.

So sad that trolling and try to stir pot is only way you get your kicks. You are not worth it.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2014, 09:35:46 AM »

...a two sided blade, imagine that

What I was getting at is that if you use 15 amp plug or a 20 amp plug I don't see how the pull out strength or clamping strength would be any different over a dedicated 15 amp receptacle of the same quality because you really don't have any more surface area.

Of course , that is just me thinking. I don't have any test data on it.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2014, 09:50:39 AM »

I feel sorry for you.

So sad that trolling and try to stir pot is only way you get your kicks. You are not worth it.

You see...If I am not worth it, why be the clown and respond again?

73, Stan
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2014, 11:54:11 AM »

last time I tried to find one, a prong tension tester was in the $80 range.  so I won't bore anybody with the spec for a good outlet (while putting myself through college the second time, I did maintenance assistant work in a hospital.)  if you don't have to work a little pulling out a plug, the outlet is shot, is the bottom line.  a one-buck outlet with thin metal and creepy plastic is about ten cycles.  a five-buck spec-grade outlet, probably $3.50 in a ten-pack, will last the normal homeowner over 20 years.

hospital-grade stuff has non-corrosive metals throughout, hard Nylon castings that resist shatter when you slam a bed into them, everything is heavier gauge... and the green dot on the face means dig deep in the wallet, onesies can go for $50.  in the 70s, when an electrical house had a two-buck sale on them, the hospital guys bought a trailer full, absolutely packed a loft and the stairs to it in the maintenance office.  used 'em all up and had to buy a few thousand more during my tenure, they're at best a 12 year outlet in hospital service.  had to test every prong in every outlet in a 600 bed hospital.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2014, 09:15:45 AM »

hospital-grade stuff has non-corrosive metals throughout, hard Nylon castings that resist shatter when you slam a bed into them, everything is heavier gauge... and the green dot on the face means dig deep in the wallet, onesies can go for $50. 

I bought about half dozen of them in a old paper bag at a garage sale once for a few bucks. They had never been used.

NI8R

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2014, 07:08:38 PM »

Well guys , after putting a lot of weight or gravity to frank's (K4RVN ) comments here on the board , I had a 240v circuit installed today to run my new amp , the amp I purchased was
the Acom 1000. After much deliberation, that's the one for me. Beating out the icom, yaesu, expert 1k, the acom 1010 AND THE ACOM 600S.

Thanks to all who replied and contributed to the quest for the 20amp shack, which is now the 50 amp shack.

73's

Greg kc8iir
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2014, 07:18:01 PM »

Wise decision  Grin

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2014, 07:36:51 PM »

Gregory,
I looked at your shack and read your post. What you are looking for does not exist for a 20 amp shack on 120 volts. You have some great equipment, very nice home and a couple of nice antennas.
You are a young person it appears, (under 60 to me is young) so run a new dedicated line from your main panel for 240 volts with number 12 or larger #10 and go first class. I just moved my shack and made the same decision. I run an AL 80 B and an AL 80 A. I just sold my 120 volt SB200. You don't run them at the same time, but you have a lot of equipment already connected in your shack. BTW, like your hex beam, I have one of those also. My amps run much better on 240 volts due to less voltage drop. I run 1kw or at least 900 watts on 40 meters most every day.
the 811 I had worked fine on 120 volts, but the 1kw amps don't do that well without a dedicated stiff supply and do better on 240. To summarize, do it right  now with a 240 volt circuit. You did not go cheap on your other stuff so don't start now. You can then buy what you want. In the future you might want a big amp legal limit so my suggestion is to use # 10 for a new circuit. You seem to have a few bucks looking at the other equipment in your shack.

Frank

This is almost the correct answer.  Run a pair of 240v 30 amp lines and leave one unconnected for now but available for later.  Break out some 120 as well.  What you will find is over the years you will add some VHF or UHF or want to run SO2R or wind up plugging in a dozen wall warts or go for the 2 hole Alpha and your line power will be woefull.   If you do this from the start you can buy any amp you want from a SB200 on up and never bat an eye about power issues.  As to QSK it's really not necessary.  Hearing between words (not letters) works just fine.  If you really have to have it, go with a Ameritron QSK 5 switch.  Then you can plug any radio and any amp (up to 2500W) into the QSK 5 and have the fastest QSK without the machine gun effect.  I ran this switch on a AL-1500 and a AL-80B for decades without a problem.  For the KW level (moderate not high power) I would choose a AL-80B.  Virtually indestructible, very quiet, instant on, very easy to tune and does not generate a lot of heat.  Presently I use a ALS 1300 and a MFJ 998:  hit tune, hit the tuner, hit tune off, turn on the amp and make the contact.  All the tuning is automatic.  Makes for very fast band changes.   I use DDUTIL to automatically set the radio to the correct predetermined power output for any given band.  With your Anan you can setup the ALS-1300 with a ARI 500 to auto bandswitch and follow the radio.  The one thing you don't want to worry about is exceeding the power available to your shack.  When I built my shack this is exactly what I did.

73  W9OY
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2014, 07:38:25 PM »

Well guys , after putting a lot of weight or gravity to frank's (K4RVN ) comments here on the board , I had a 240v circuit installed today to run my new amp , the amp I purchased was
the Acom 1000. After much deliberation, that's the one for me. Beating out the icom, yaesu, expert 1k, the acom 1010 AND THE ACOM 600S.

Thanks to all who replied and contributed to the quest for the 20amp shack, which is now the 50 amp shack.

73's

Greg kc8iir

Good decision

73  W9OY
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2014, 06:16:24 AM »

Then you can plug any radio and any amp (up to 2500W)  

When I built my shack this is exactly what I did.

73  W9OY

So much for legal limit.....  What's next 50 amp service for 5kw amps?

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2014, 06:28:53 AM »

Then you can plug any radio and any amp (up to 2500W)  

When I built my shack this is exactly what I did.

73  W9OY

So much for legal limit.....  What's next 50 amp service for 5kw amps?

Actually 50A so you can run more then 1 thing at a time. The smart way to supply a shack when putting in new service.

73, Stan
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2014, 06:37:40 AM »

Actually 50A so you can run more then 1 thing at a time. The smart way to supply a shack when putting in new service.

I know it will power FIB's 5kw CB rig.

Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: