The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu ADMS software for VX-150 not working Win 7  (Read 3520 times)
KE2KB

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2014, 06:26:34 AM »

Hi;
I had the Yaesu ADMS software installed on my Win 7 system with the 9-pin to 1/8" cable for the VX-150 working fine. I don't use the software often, and now, when I try to use it, I get a com error on the radio and timeout error on the software.
I tried many things, including running the software in compatibility mode for Win XP, 2000, 95, un-installing and completely removing all traces of ADMS from the computer, then re-installing - nothing works.
I tried cleaning the contact surface of the cable - no luck.
Finally I plugged the 9-pin cable into another box, running Win XP-SP3 and installed the software. It works fine on that box.
ADMS is the only software I have that uses the COM port, so there are no other devices to test the port on.

Is there a USB to COM adapter that will work with the ADMS software and the VX-150?
I like the newer software offered by G4HFQ, but I don't see anything for the VX-150.

I may purchase a FT-60r soon, and with that I will purchase the FTB-60 software and a USB cable. I don't expect that setup to work with the VX-150, but it would be nice if I could use the same USB to COM adapter for both radios. The FT-60 does use the exact same configuration with the 1/8" plug, so I don't see a reason ADMS wouldn't work with the USB to COM adapter, so long as I have the correct drivers and ADMS recognizes the "pseudo" com port.

Thanks for your help

Frank - KE2KB

Edit:

Found the G4HFQ software (FTB-1050) for the VX-150. Installed and connected cable to COM on Windows 7 machine. Started to read radio, almost completed, but then quit with error. Radio said C-Error. Software reported that it had not read the radio complete. Listed data size and what had been read. Was about 2/3 done.
Tried subsequent times, now reads much less before quitting. Again cleaned the connectors, no luck.
Now going to check COM port connection inside computer, as I had unplugged and re-connected cable since last time the ADMS software worked. Perhaps I routed the COM cable too close to the video card, or other device?
I am going to order a USB adapter cable for the radio and see what happens. Can anyone recommend the best one to get?
I found one on NewEgg.com for about $10 with free ship. I am not sure the make. I'll re-post later.

Thanks again.
Frank - KE2KB
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 06:48:15 AM by KE2KB » Logged
KE2KB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 07:10:54 AM »

Update: COM problem solved!

I moved the COM port connector (9-pin) down 2 slots - away from the video card. I guess there was interference from the video card getting into the COM cable. It is an unshielded ribbon cable, about 10" long to the COM header on the front of the MOBO.
Being that the COM port is not a true RS-232, I am not all that surprised that there was interference. Perhaps a shielded cable would work even better.
I still plan to get the USB cable for the radio.

Frank - KE2KB

Update:

Decided to go with the USB programming cable from Valley Enterprises. The one I saw on NewEgg.com was from Asia, and after reading the warning about counterfeit chips used in these cables, I decided that going with one of the recommended (by G4HFQ) was the best.
Nice that this cable will also work with the FT-60r (when I get it), and all I need is to buy the FTB-60 software for $15. Great software for the price. Much better than ADMS.
Only issue is that because I have "out of band" frequencies programmed into the radio, I get warning dialogs when I save the file. Don't know why this happens when I have ticked the "allow frequencies between 127-179Mhz" box. I sent an e-mail to the author. Not a real problem - just that there should be a way to get around this.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 07:28:28 AM by KE2KB » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: