The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strong FM broadcast station nearbye, will I have issues?  (Read 45894 times)
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 11:06:36 AM »

I once operated from inside the WNEW-AM (50,000 watts) transmitter site (Carlstadt NJ)
Heard long ago an urban legend that someone "borrowed" the 50KW transmitter and antennas of a station down for maintenance late one night to get on an HF band to chase some rare DX.   Grin
Must have been on 80, or maybe 160?  You probably wouldn't get 50KW, but you'd still be way over legal limit.  Seems the SWR would be horrible and you'd risk the finals, and or you'd have to jumper out any harmonic filters intended to keep the station off 160 or 80...   But if you did kill the finals, you'd just tell station management that they were due for replacement...
Sounds like a stretch. The exciter for the PA would be a few KW all by itself. Maybe you could jumper in an amateur rig to work as an exciter and jumper past the protective system and filters.

Even without all of that, it would be neat to attach in to their antenna system. That would be fun for a few nights.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
KL7HQK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 08:40:42 PM »

I had a 50kw FM station put up a 180' tower about 1/4 mile from my house two years ago. I've had no problems with it on two meters or HF. I don't use any other frequencies. It does get on top of some of the other more distant FM b'cast stations.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: