The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTW Problems?  (Read 6638 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: December 15, 2014, 04:19:16 PM »

Anyone having problems uploading to LOTW?  I have sent a couple small files (yesterday and tonite), neither of which are showing as being received at LOTW.        Huh Huh

73, Gene AF3Y
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 04:21:14 PM »

I uploaded Saturday and it worked OK . . . .

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 04:42:55 PM »

Well, the file I sent tonite is there now Grin.  It includes the Qs from the file I sent last nite, so all is OK.  I guess I just
had to growl a little to get it working. hi
73, Gene AF3Y
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 04:46:09 PM »

Checking the LoTW Queue Status can provide an idea of how long it will take for the LoTW Server to process your submitted QSOs.

#1 DXCC Honor Roll, DXCC Challenge 3000
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 04:53:04 PM »

It's the Monday after a big contest weekend. Of course LoTW isn't working right.
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 08:36:24 PM »

Of course LoTW isn't working right. may be a bit behind.

It's not really in our interest to over-pressure the league to deal with peak contest logs.  A couple of hours delay (which is what it has been lately after big contests) is really no big deal in the larger scheme of things.

Sure, they can buy bigger server farms and cut the backload after a big contest quicker.  And, to the extent their software is responsible, they are already working on that.

But, past whatever point that is; where the software is reasonably efficient and scalable, the only remaining fix is to throw big hardware dollars at it.  At that point, all we're doing by pressuring the league for 'instant uploads no matter what the load' is raising their costs . . . and ours.  For, exactly, what?

A lot of servers do invest for peak loads, but we (collectively) can help define what "peak" means and that, in part, is by being somewhat reasonable about what we ask for.

For my money, as long as my upload processes in a day on peak contest times, certainly in four hours, I'm not worried about it any farther than that.  That would mean on non-peak loads, the thing should load quickly enough the rest of the year.  They've been in the ballpark of that lately.
ZS6DX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 08:48:09 PM »

Of course LoTW isn't working right. may be a bit behind.

It's not really in our interest to over-pressure the league to deal with peak contest logs.  A couple of hours delay (which is what it has been lately after big contests) is really no big deal in the larger scheme of things.

Sure, they can buy bigger server farms and cut the backload after a big contest quicker.  And, to the extent their software is responsible, they are already working on that.

But, past whatever point that is; where the software is reasonably efficient and scalable, the only remaining fix is to throw big hardware dollars at it.  At that point, all we're doing by pressuring the league for 'instant uploads no matter what the load' is raising their costs . . . and ours.  For, exactly, what?

A lot of servers do invest for peak loads, but we (collectively) can help define what "peak" means and that, in part, is by being somewhat reasonable about what we ask for.

For my money, as long as my upload processes in a day on peak contest times, certainly in four hours, I'm not worried about it any farther than that.  That would mean on non-peak loads, the thing should load quickly enough the rest of the year.  They've been in the ballpark of that lately.

I agree, it does not make sense to throw lots of money at hardware to speed up a few peaks a year! As it is they are doing well and I seldom have a delay of more than minutes.

73, Rudi de ZS6DX/V51VE
VK3MEG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 09:40:03 PM »

I remember a few year ago you had to be happy for a day wait
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 04:27:59 PM »

Well, I finally got enough of my old transcribed logs entered into my logging program that it seemed to make sense to download a batch to LotW.  I entered one call manually with TQSL just to make sure everything was working and it was processed immediately, so I downloaded an ADIF file containing approximately 6000 QSOs.  It took only a few minutes to process the entire log.  The match rate was an incredible (I think) 34.5%.  Wow.  I then requested that my LotW log be linked to my existing DXCC account and former calls.  The next day, a Saturday, I got a message from HQ that the link was complete.  Indeed it was, all my old records were rolled into the online totals.  Pretty damn good service.  The sign-up process is a little convoluted, but I can't argue with the results.  This has me excited to get my DXCC records up-to-date.  My last submission was 1994!

A related question:  Most cluster sites indicate whether a posted DX station is a LotW user or not.  DX Heat goes so far as to categorize LotW users (or not) as "frequent," "infrequent," "inactive," or a non-user.  Anybody know how the cluster site determines this?
KJ4Z

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 04:43:09 PM »

You can look up any call sign in LOTW and it will tell you when it was last active. Probably, they scrape that.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 09:47:57 AM »

A related question:  Most cluster sites indicate whether a posted DX station is a LotW user or not.  DX Heat goes so far as to categorize LotW users (or not) as "frequent," "infrequent," "inactive," or a non-user.  Anybody know how the cluster site determines this?

You can judge this on your own by logging into LOTW, choosing "Find Call", and observing whether they have ever uploaded, as well as the "Last upload" date.  No uploads, or no uploads for years, are bad signs if you want LOTW confirmation. But of course folks who never signed up for LOTW, many eventually sign up and upload their old logs.

You can go a bit beyond the simple check too, do determine the likelihood of an upload in the future for a never-before-activated call. Is this a guy who goes to Caribbean a lot and works from there? If so look up his past trips' callsigns used and see if he promptly uploaded to LOTW for those.

Usually if you look at a guy's QSL instructions on qrz.com you can see what his attitude is (e.g. prompt upload, vs slow upload, vs upload for $ only.) But cross-checking qrz.com page against actual upload history often finds folks who fully intended to upload to LOTW but rarely or never do it. e.g. for the longest time the only KP4's I worked on 160M were two guys who had the same QSL manager. They only sent their logs to the QSL manager every couple years... and then the QSL manager only uploaded to LOTW a few years after that!!!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 09:53:25 AM by N3QE » Logged
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 10:04:04 AM »

I have checked find call but I don't bother for a while.  If six or eight months pass with no joy, then I check.  I decide based on what I find.  The rest tend to just show up
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: