The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: alignment question regarding Kenwood TS830  (Read 17449 times)
M0SDB

Ignore
« on: December 15, 2014, 11:24:28 PM »

Hi all

I have a TS830 that I am going to slowly get back to full health (hopefully!) over the festive holidays.

There is nothing major wrong with it, could just do with some tlc.

I was fiddling yesterday and put it in Cal mode and tuned in to 14.275-nothing. Not even a tremor on the meter.

Tune down to 14.273 and it gives me around 7 S points.

It's this likely to be something as simple as the running dial needing calibrating or something more seriously out?

Thanks all

Danny 2E0YDB

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but you to not know why.
Quite often these two things happen together; nothing works and you do not know why - Arihato
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 11:47:24 PM »

Is it the same offset on all bands? If so, then it's the VFO, and may just be that the dial has slipped. If not, then look at the individual band oscillators - it's well over 20 years since I had anything to do with a TS830 and I can't remember the architecture.
M0SDB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 11:56:57 PM »

Thanks for getting back to me. Ok, beginner question no 1. How do I test the other frequencies.

I have an Icom IC 7000 on my desk so transmit out on that with a wire stub antenna in the 830?

Quite often these two things happen together; nothing works and you do not know why - Arihato
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 04:56:26 AM »

Go through each band and use the CAL mode, just as you did on 20m. See what the other bands are like.

you can email me directly on g8on[at]btinternet.com doing the usual substitution for [at]
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 06:52:03 AM »

Go through each band and use the CAL mode, just as you did on 20m. See what the other bands are like.

you can email me directly on g8on[at]btinternet.com doing the usual substitution for [at]

Actually first thing I would do is tune WWV and see if calibrator is zero beated or off.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 12:57:42 PM »

'8JX

Don't assume you can always hear WWV over here......or any of the 10MHz  SF stations. The Chinese one seems to be the most reliable.

Anyhow, does the TS830 cover the WWV frequencies?
M0SDB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 01:02:34 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions. The calibration tone seems to tune up around 1-2khz down on each hand I have tried so I suspect a slipped dial.

I have a few bits and bobs coming so my intention now its to have her quiet, clean everything up, replace the hv caps etc and take it from there.

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 01:09:09 AM »

It may be a slipped dial or it maybe that the VFO trimmers just need re-adjustment. Check with the manual.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 07:25:36 AM »

Anyhow, does the TS830 cover the WWV frequencies?

30m/10 mhz.  Also at 25 MHz but that is not very reliable.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
N8CBX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 09:59:16 AM »

I was fiddling yesterday and put it in Cal mode and tuned in to 14.275-nothing. Not even a tremor on the meter.
That sounds normal to me, but the freq counter readout can read to hundreds and it should say "14.275.0". If you move just +-100 cycles (like 14.275.1 or 14.274.9) you should start to hear the marker signal at a very low audio freq.
When you finally tune in the marker at its strongest level, the meter should be closer to S9.
Before you do any alignments to the 830, I recommend to check the marker freq with a signal generator and check for a zero beat between the two freqs. That part is in the service "Adjustments" procedures.
Jan N8CBX
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 10:12:27 AM by N8CBX » Logged

Dayton Ohio - The Birthplace of Aviation
M0SDB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 01:31:36 AM »

Thanks Jan

I was reading the alignment instructions last night but need more test equipment.

I now have a ' scope. Only 20mhz but all I could afford and looking for a signal generator and frequency counter.

I will have a fiddle when I take her apart.

M0SDB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 12:42:41 AM »

@Jan-just to report that yes a very low tone does start at 14.275.1 and the most I can get out of her when fully tuned in she peaks at around S8 so probably needs a little fettling.

Just waiting for some bits to turn up from the States and will get working.

Any recommendations on signal generators and frequency counters or minimum specs I should be looking for?

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 07:04:40 AM »

>Any recommendations on signal generators and frequency counters or minimum specs I should be looking for?<

Depends on how much you have to spend. Any signal generator worthy of the name needs to be completely screened, so anything in a  plastic box should be treated with great care. It needs an internal attenuator to get down to at least  -120dBm (0.07 microvolts): if it has an external counter or, like some Marconi ones, a synchroniser to lock the frequency, you need rigid coax to connect them or it will leak like a sieve. Some of the old Marconi ones, such as the TF144H are valved, heavy and drift a bit but are very good generators within their limitations, and in general terms, are repairable.  An HP8640B is excellent, but is getting old and has some parts made of 'unobtainium'. I quite like the pre WW2 Marconi TF144G: it is extremely good on phase noise and provided you give it a 24 hour warm up, it's pretty stable. It is also very big and damn heavy! Having an AM capability is useful, but not mandatory. So a GOOD modern signal generator will probably be rather expensive, which is why I would look carefully at the pre-used market. DDS is OK but check how far down all spurious outputs are, and that it is well enough screened and supply filtered. I would want all non-harmonically related outputs to be at least 100dB down at more than 10kHz away and phase noise at >-120dBc/Hz at 10kHz away.

For a frequency counter, have a look at the various suppliers - Black Star, Farnell, RS. They are cheap enough that it's worth buying new. Ideally, you want one with a TCXO or ovened oscillator: some even allow locking to GPS, but for most amateur work, that's not necessary.
N8CBX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 07:10:25 AM »

Well, most of the measurements are voltage levels and a vacuum tube volt meter (VTVM) is needed and an RF probe tip. The Kenwood service manual lists the required test equipment. My signal generator & freq counter and so on are made by HP and Agilent.

Terry (K9TW), repairs the Kenwood hybrids and he has a lot of good info including a description of his equipment on his workbench
http://www.k9tw.com/

Jan N8CBX
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 07:38:41 AM by N8CBX » Logged

Dayton Ohio - The Birthplace of Aviation
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 01:47:11 PM »

when all else fails...read the manual! It has a WWV calibration procedure for the digital display and the calibrator is 25Khz marker to adjust the slip ring dial.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: