The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Linear, Solid State vs. Tube?  (Read 47335 times)
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 05:25:51 PM »

There is no FCC permitted envelope requirement for the Amateur Radio service.

The SS amps in question are about as clean as most of the SS transceivers that are available to drive them.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 12:42:11 AM »

The amplifiers and transceivers may be type approved, but it doesn't alter the fact that high order IMD in amateur transmitters has got significantly worse over the last 30 years. Hopefully, the adoption of SDR in transmitters will see it eventually improve .....
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 03:22:40 AM »

I assume the solid sate transmitters and linear amplifiers are FCC type approved to operate within the permitted RF envelope, yes?

But there is a difference between well within limits and marginal. Given how lax FCC is on Ham licenses these days I would not read much into FCC approve amp.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 03:42:25 AM »

That's like saying the dog ate my homework so lets pump the cats stomach to retrieve it. 1 has nothing to do with the other.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 04:13:24 AM »

That's like saying the dog ate my homework so lets pump the cats stomach to retrieve it. 1 has nothing to do with the other.

A usual meaningless dribble..

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 05:41:53 AM »

LOL Only to those who lack understanding.

73, Stan
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2014, 06:05:15 AM »

Like you. I think picture below applies to you a lot as you post for sake of posting/trolling.

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2014, 06:11:31 AM »

Like you. I think picture below applies to you a lot as you post for sake of posting/trolling.

LOL You proved my point! What a clown!

73, Stan
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2014, 06:26:52 AM »

Just like picture, you cannot wait to post....

FIB in his man cave....

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2014, 06:30:50 AM »

Just like picture, you cannot wait to post....

FIB in his man cave....

LOL At least I am smart enough to have one. What a clown!

73, Stan
W5SRT

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 06:37:46 AM »

This reminds me of when cameras transitioned from film to digital.  The resistance among seasoned photographers was huge, arguing every conceivable nuance as to why film could never be surpassed by digital.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2014, 06:57:53 AM »

This reminds me of when cameras transitioned from film to digital.  The resistance among seasoned photographers was huge, arguing every conceivable nuance as to why film could never be surpassed by digital.

Well if Kodachrome 25 was still around there would still be a valid argument on quality. Very slow and expensive to develop, the picture quality was good as it got when used properly. Even today it is tuff to match contrast of a good black and with film digitally.

K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 07:28:21 AM »

Well, in deference to some of the childish and irrelevant posts so far, I'll try to give you a real world answer based on my experience.

I've had an Ameritron ALS-600 SS amp for 3 years, a Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5Kfx SS amp for 7 years, and now an Acom 1000 for the last 8 months. Radio is an Icom IC-7600. My main interest is contesting (heavy use on weekends), also DXing and some ragchewing mixed in. They've all performed well, with no problems. Changing from ALS-600 to THP was for more power, and THP to Acom was for going to a viable manufacturer from a bankrupt one...concerned about possible future repairs.

The solid-state amps were convenient for quick band changes and instant operation, but if SWR creeps above about 1.8:1, they fault protect. Resonant antennas or a tuner are a must. I live in an HOA antenna restricted community, so I use a ground-mounted screwdriver antenna, which I always adjust to 1.4:1 or less SWR....tuner not necessary. SS amps are also more expensive when it comes to dollar per watt. I ran my THP on 240V.

When I decided to sell my THP, I preferred going to another SS KW amp, but for me, price was a concern, as the Icom PW-1 and SPE Expert 1K-FA were considerably out of my price range (and I didn't need the built-in tuners). Reading reviews and seeing the affordable price of the Acom 1000, I went for it, and haven't been disappointed at all. Running on 240V, it has been flawless, stable, and QUIET (much quieter than the THP) during my contest activities this year. Tuning is an absolute snap with their TRI tuning system, taking less than 10 seconds between band changes, and less screwdriver adjustments within bands, as the amp operates up to 3:1 SWR without faulting (although I make sure it doesn't run into anything above 2:1).

That's my experience.....good luck with your decision. Happy holidays to all!
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2014, 08:14:22 AM »

A FWIW comment.  This tube vs. SS question and or controversy is happening at a time when good power tubes are difficult to come by and SS amps are in basically, they're infancy.

No matter which way the original poster goes, it's quite possible there will be regrets.  Regrets if the tubes have to be replaced and the only thing available are Chinese junk or the SS amp with the piss poor IMD rating and the reliability problem.

There are two things I do believe that is going to happen within the next few years.  One, SS amps will be the only amps available, with the shortcomings eliminated or at least minimized and Two....SDR radios will finally come into their own. 

I suspect the SS amp manufacturers will get their act together first and if it was me, I'd buy a SS amp today.....and get one with the best reputation even if it meant running lower than legal limit.

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
W5SRT

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2014, 08:18:44 AM »

K7JQ:  Thank you for the thoughtful response, it is very helpful.

A couple questions.

When you say the Acom is quieter than the THP, do you mean quieter RF transmitted signal, or do you mean physically quieter in the radioshack (e.g. fan, transformer hum, etc.)?

It also sounds like the 500 to 1000 watt power increase is worth the extra cost and electrical requirements to you, yes?

Right now I run a 40 meter λ/4 mono band ground mounted vertical, and I am installing a λ5/8 20 meter vertical this week.  Plan to add an 80 meter λ/4 laterin 2015.  For receive, I am putting in an Array Solutions Shared Apex Loop Array.  So, my real goal is to get enough TX signal to more or less equal my RX signal (in terms of signal to noise).  From what I understand, the way to do this is to see how well the SALA runs, and then add enough power to the TX side to balance things out.  I just don't know if 500 watts will get that job done?

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: