The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it worthwhile to buy a new windows computer now or wait until windows 10 arri  (Read 41198 times)
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 08:35:02 AM »

The end of support for Windows 7 is January 14 2020.

Once again, LIFE SUPPORT will end in 2020. Main stream support ends in 2 months period after which it goes on life support. (many do not understand this)  Once on life support there will be no updates or enhancements. It will get security fixes ONLY. Win8x has 3 more years of FULL support for enhancements and updates. After that 5 more years of life support.  Which warranty is smart one here dah....

When Windows 10 hits the market, Windows 8 will dropped by consumers faster than Sh*t through a goose. Windows 10 will finally mark the end to Windows 8 which turned out to be a bad mistake for Microsoft and an nightmare for consumers.

The reason there is No "End of sales for PCs with Windows 7 Pro preinstalled" and the date for the end  "Not yet established" is because there is still a BIG demand for it. Microsoft's real bread and butter, the Corporate World has not adopted Windows 8.

They are holding onto Windows 7 Pro until at least Windows 10 SP1 is released. Even some companies just made the migration from XP to Windows 7 in the last year, some even in the last six months.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 09:24:59 AM »

When Windows 10 hits the market, Windows 8 will dropped by consumers faster than Sh*t through a goose. Windows 10 will finally mark the end to Windows 8 which turned out to be a bad mistake for Microsoft and an nightmare for consumers.

Not at all. Many like 8x and even if a free upgrade is offered I am not itching to move from 8 to 10. People such as yourself that slam it, never took time to really learn it. It is far more capable than 7 ever was. It is the first step of many to transition to a mobile friendly OS. Change is hard for some like KYR.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 09:51:06 AM by W8JX » Logged

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 10:12:00 AM »

For "Mobile Friendly" read "Crippled". In Microsoft's case read "Badly implemented"

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2014, 10:26:25 AM »

I went straight from Vista to 8.1 on a new machine. I did a fresh install of all my software with no issues. I installed a new dual port PIC-E RS232 serial card with no issues. OK, I had to buy a $20 powered USB hub in order to communicate with my radio, but that was a motherboard issue, not 8.1.

And yes I will admit that I installed Classic Shell and bypass the Metro screen on startup, but that was my preference.

So can someone tell me again why 8.1 is such a piece of shit junk?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2014, 10:46:32 AM »

And yes I will admit that I installed Classic Shell and bypass the Metro screen on startup, but that was my preference.

With 8.1 you can select boot to Metro or boot to Desktop as default.

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2014, 11:38:16 AM »

With 8.1 you can select boot to Metro or boot to Desktop as default.

I understand that (now!), but I am still waiting for W4KYR, or anyone for that matter, to answer the question in my previous post.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2014, 11:47:04 AM »

The end of support for Windows 7 is January 14 2020.

Once again, LIFE SUPPORT will end in 2020. Main stream support ends in 2 months period after which it goes on life support. (many do not understand this)  Once on life support there will be no updates or enhancements. It will get security fixes ONLY. Win8x has 3 more years of FULL support for enhancements and updates. After that 5 more years of life support.  Which warranty is smart one here dah....

Most people don't care about new features for Win 7. If they needed new features, they would go to Win 8.1. The Extended Support is the IMPORTANT support. So unless someone needs new features, then Win 7 will be OK until 2020.  That said, I don't think people should buy new machines with Win 7. Wait for Win 10.

HAMMYGUY

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2014, 12:15:58 PM »

While you can boot to the Desktop, the start menu still has that backward right click to access options.   I've fixed that with a little program called Start8 that returns it to a Windows 7 look and feel.  Then there is driver installation, which to me a serious PITA.  Anything below the surface of Windows 8 is nothing but trouble. 

7 is very easy to do most everything and I've had a very results using it.  8 you've got to fuss with it constantly and you'll see errors you've never seen before if you anything beyond browsing.   

I've tried the beta of Windows 10.  It's not bad, kind of like a cross between 7 and 8. Sorry guys the "metro" screen is still there, but you have to go looking for it to use it.  It doesn't just pop up at every mistyped key or mouse click. 
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2014, 03:42:01 PM »

Then there is driver installation, which to me a serious PITA.  Anything below the surface of Windows 8 is nothing but trouble.

When I unboxed my new Win8.1 machine (sorry, I did not video this process and post it on YouTube for all to see), I installed my Logitech wireless mouse and it was ready to use in less than a minute. Then I had to load the driver for my USB programming cable for my HT and that went without a hitch. Then I had to load the driver for my Icom radio. The driver installation actually went OK, but I needed a powered USB hub to get it to work. As I said earlier, this is a hardware issue, not an OS issue. Then I installed the new PCI-E serial card. Installation was a breeze. I use one serial port for FSK RTTY and the other for CW. They both work exactly the way they did with the PCI card in my old Vista machine. I also have to go through the installation routine the first time I use a new USB stick, but I had to do that on the old machine. Never had one fail yet.

So what kind of drivers were you trying to install that gave you so much trouble?

8 you've got to fuss with it constantly and you'll see errors you've never seen before if you anything beyond browsing.

Since setting it up, I haven't had to fuss with anything. Sure, it took the better part of a day to run all of the updates and get all of my stuff installed, but since then I haven't gotten any errors at all. Not one. I use HRD, N1MM, MMTTY, CHIRP and SDR# with a DVB-T dongle in the shack. I use Word and Excel on a daily basis with no issues at all. I run the latest version of iTunes to manage my iPhone and haven't had any problems. I also have other programs that do various things and have yet to see any error of any kind with any program. As far as browsing, I use Chrome and Firefox. No problems with either one of these.

So what kind of programs are you running and what kind of errors are you getting?

I've tried the beta of Windows 10.  It's not bad, kind of like a cross between 7 and 8. Sorry guys the "metro" screen is still there, but you have to go looking for it to use it.  It doesn't just pop up at every mistyped key or mouse click.

Like I just said, I use Word and Excel primarily, but I also type in a lot of stuff in text boxes (like right now) and I have never seen the Metro screen just mysteriously pop up... ever. And I assure you, I am not a great typist. My wireless mouse works just as well as it did with my old system.

So what programs are you running when the Metro screen pops up all on its own?

You seem to have had a lot of problems with your installation but yet I haven't had any issues at all. Why do you think that is? I assure you it is not because I am any sort of computer guru. I am pretty much an average home user using off-the-shelf hardware and software.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 03:47:50 PM by N0IU » Logged
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2014, 07:05:13 PM »

I went straight from Vista to 8.1 on a new machine. I did a fresh install of all my software with no issues. I installed a new dual port PIC-E RS232 serial card with no issues. OK, I had to buy a $20 powered USB hub in order to communicate with my radio, but that was a motherboard issue, not 8.1.

So can someone tell me again why 8.1 is such a piece of shit junk?

Windows 8 is the first Windows OS that you had to hack to get a usable GUI. The implementation for Windows 8 was so ill conceived that a third party company saw a demand to restore the GUI and offered for sale a hack called Start8! for $5 from Stardock. 

The whole mess could have been avoided if Microsoft allowed it's users chose between the Touch Tiles and the Traditional Desktop from the outset.  It could have been simply implemented by logging in out of one desktop and then to another. Linux has been offering this feature for years. 

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2014, 04:35:43 AM »

Windows 8 is the first Windows OS that you had to hack to get a usable GUI. The implementation for Windows 8 was so ill conceived that a third party company saw a demand to restore the GUI and offered for sale a hack called Start8! for $5 from Stardock. 

The whole mess could have been avoided if Microsoft allowed it's users chose between the Touch Tiles and the Traditional Desktop from the outset.  It could have been simply implemented by logging in out of one desktop and then to another. Linux has been offering this feature for years. 

Your lack of knowledge of 8 shows. While 8.1 allowed you to select default screen type easily, it was easy to go to desktop from Metro and there was a simple registry hack for 8 that could make it default to desktop too. (all 8.1 did was let you select default without having to manually edit registry) It was not ill conceived but if you keep a XP mentality when using it, you would have problems. The change was long overdue. There is no future for 7 in modern world of laptop, smart phone and tablet. 8 is first step of many to transition. There will always be cry babies that hate change and resist it but technology changes and you either learn it and change with it or be left behind.

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2014, 05:18:28 AM »

Your lack of knowledge of 8 shows. While 8.1 allowed you to select default screen type easily, it was easy to go to desktop from Metro and there was a simple registry hack for 8 that could make it default to desktop too. (all 8.1 did was let you select default without having to manually edit registry) It was not ill conceived but if you keep a XP mentality when using it, you would have problems. The change was long overdue. There is no future for 7 in modern world of laptop, smart phone and tablet. 8 is first step of many to transition. There will always be cry babies that hate change and resist it but technology changes and you either learn it and change with it or be left behind.

Why should anyone spend money on a laptop with an OS they don't want? Because it is the latest and greatest? Because if they don't, they are behind the times? Those are not compelling reasons. 

I'm not the only one to refuse to use Windows 8, seems a lot of consumers have spoken and rejected Windows 8 as well.  So how did Microsoft take the news? Microsoft responded by firing people who worked on Windows 8.  That speaks volumes.

http://www.thewire.com/business/2012/11/microsoft-just-dismissed-mastermind-behind-windows-8/58937/

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2474644/microsoft-windows/steve-ballmer-was-actually-fired--sources-say--so-what-now-.html

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2014, 05:46:11 AM »

Yeah, we get it. Win8 had some flaws when it was launched. No one here is advising the OP to get a computer in any form factor with Win8. You can't even get that version any more. So why are you living in the past? Everything you are talking about is related to Win8 which hasn't been on the market for over a year. Win8.1 was launched on October 18, 2013, 51 weeks after the launch of Win8. You are fixated on this issue of booting to the Metro screen making Win8 "ill conceived". That is no longer an issue with Win8.1. Get over it!

As far as work-arounds, Start8 isn't the only one. I mentioned Classic Shell which is and always has been free. But in the grand scheme of things, I certainly wouldn't classify the whole OS as junk over this one issue.

If you want to talk about ill conceived, lets go back to 2000 when Microsoft launched WindowsME! Talk about a big huge steaming pile of dog poop! That one wins the prize for sure! That one was so bad, they didn't even try to fix it and took it off the market.

And to all those people who say that the OP should just wait for Win10 to come in the Spring(?) of 2015, when was the last time Microsoft launched a whole new OS that ran perfectly right out of the gate? I have not seen or used Win10, but given Microsoft's history, I can almost assure you that Win10.0 will need some time to shake out the bugs... and there will be bugs! At least Win8.1 has reached a level of stability.

The bottom line is that Windows 8 no longer exists!
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2014, 06:16:09 AM »

Yeah, we get it. Win8 had some flaws when it was launched. No one here is advising the OP to get a computer in any form factor with Win8. You can't even get that version any more. So why are you living in the past? Everything you are talking about is related to Win8 which hasn't been on the market for over a year. Win8.1 was launched on October 18, 2013, 51 weeks after the launch of Win8. You are fixated on this issue of booting to the Metro screen making Win8 "ill conceived". That is no longer an issue with Win8.1. Get over it!

As far as work-arounds, Start8 isn't the only one. I mentioned Classic Shell which is and always has been free. But in the grand scheme of things, I certainly wouldn't classify the whole OS as junk over this one issue.

If you want to talk about ill conceived, lets go back to 2000 when Microsoft launched WindowsME! Talk about a big huge steaming pile of dog poop! That one wins the prize for sure! That one was so bad, they didn't even try to fix it and took it off the market.

And to all those people who say that the OP should just wait for Win10 to come in the Spring(?) of 2015, when was the last time Microsoft launched a whole new OS that ran perfectly right out of the gate? I have not seen or used Win10, but given Microsoft's history, I can almost assure you that Win10.0 will need some time to shake out the bugs... and there will be bugs! At least Win8.1 has reached a level of stability.

MS is doing some things differently with windows 10. The public tech preview is open anyone who wants to participate. Errors and such are being sent to the mothership. I think win 10 will run better out of the box that's most versions of windows in the past. I am running Win 10 right now, though in a virtual machine.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2014, 07:43:06 AM »

Well not quite true. For some reason about 4% of total market has not upgraded from 8 to 8.1. Likely some client machines.

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: