The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone know exactly where 1A0C is transmitting from?  (Read 5211 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2015, 03:38:07 PM »

are they operating from this SMOM location?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_del_Priorato_di_Malta

or from this SMOM location?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palazzo_Malta

Not that it matters, but that QSL photo suggests the Villa, which would be so much better as one would think there is more room for putting up antennas than there would be at the actual HQ.....what a great operation none the less.....

V
K3NRX

W6RMK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 04:12:54 PM »

both of those locations are in Rome.
K8CMO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 05:21:51 PM »

I am pretty certain it is the villa.  When I was in Rome one time I spent an entire afternoon locating this entity and walked around it.  It is surrounded by a wall but appears to be exactly the picture on the 1A0KM card.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 05:59:55 PM »

The other reason being the actual location of the Palazzo, smack dab in the middle of what seems to be a business district.....making it difficult to set up equipment.....yeah, the villa sure seems like the obvious location.....and I really hope that picture IS their qsl card....can't wait to get it and confirm my band fills....all be they very few in number......

V
K3NRX

NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 06:07:49 PM »

I am pretty certain it is the villa.  When I was in Rome one time I spent an entire afternoon locating this entity and walked around it.  It is surrounded by a wall but appears to be exactly the picture on the 1A0KM card.

I hope you were in Rome for a very long time.  I spent a week in Rome and the last thing I would've wanted to do was track down the HQ for 1A0C.

Chris  NU1O
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 06:19:15 PM »

The last time I was in Colorado I tracked down WWV.

Zack W1VT
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 06:24:17 PM »

When I was in Hawaii I dragged my wife with my to WWVH. We were only married 2 years at the time!! Now been married more than 20 years, so I did not ruin anything.

paul

ps    HaHa, she just reminded me that in 1991 on a trip to Czechoslovakia I dragged her with me to find Radio Prague and they took us on a station tour.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 06:28:15 PM by K3STX » Logged
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 05:53:28 AM »

I am pretty certain it is the villa.  When I was in Rome one time I spent an entire afternoon locating this entity and walked around it.  It is surrounded by a wall but appears to be exactly the picture on the 1A0KM card.

I hope you were in Rome for a very long time.  I spent a week in Rome and the last thing I would've wanted to do was track down the HQ for 1A0C.

I saw many interesting HF antennas while I was in China. One I saw was at some older government building near the elevated airport line in Beijing, a cage dipole that was about 600 feet long and about 80 feet up and made out of hugely thick wires. I'm wondering if that was some kind of radio museum.

I would've really liked to visit one of the club stations while I was in China, maybe even operate (not sure of legalities? Never found anything about reciprocal licensing between K and BY.).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 06:07:11 AM by N3QE » Logged
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 09:25:36 AM »

The last time my wife and I were in Ireland we spend a day (well actually part of 2 days) to find ruins of a Marconi wireless site outside of Clifden in Co. Galway. I think it was worth it and it was a bit of an adventure to track it down.
KJ4Z

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 09:43:25 AM »

The last time my wife and I were in Ireland we spend a day (well actually part of 2 days) to find ruins of a Marconi wireless site outside of Clifden in Co. Galway. I think it was worth it and it was a bit of an adventure to track it down.

The UK is littered with lots of interesting bits of wireless history, and you don't even have to go looking.  A couple of years ago I did the Southwest Coast Path around Cornwall.  Coming down into the little village (giving it too much credit really) of Porthcurno, we discovered an amazing Telegraphy Museum, located where the first undersea cables came ashore.  Well worth a visit.  A few miles further on, we came across Poldhu, where Marconi supposedly had his first Transatlantic contact.  Just ruins now.  And the remains of the old Chain Home radar system seem to be strewn across every field from Isle of Wight to the Shetlands.  It's a great place to go for a wireless tramp.
OE1ZKC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 02:45:26 PM »

Do you still need the answer ?
The answer is the Villa.

Jun JH4RHF OE1ZKC
One of 1A0C 2014-15
N2CJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 08:08:06 AM »

Am I the  only one who was under the silly impression that they actually conducted these "expeditions" from the island of Malta?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: