The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you uderstand your own cw?  (Read 25037 times)
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 03:28:40 PM »

Record yourself sending something unfamiliar, like a random page from a book.  Then wait a week or so, then listen to it and see if you can copy. 

If you just record yourself sending something very familiar and listen right away, you will remember and already know what you're listening to, so you won't be a good judge of your sending.

I did this when I was learning to send with a bug many years ago.

Ah, but a CW reader shows the problem areas right away! You don't need an expensive Begali reader either. You can plug a mike into a computer running FLdidgi or HRD's DM780, etc. Then you have an option of recording a live session or take the rig out of break-in mode and use the side tone while off the air. Cheap and effective!

KK5DR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 04:59:51 PM »

If you can't copy your own sending, how will anyone else?
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 09:27:08 AM »

Record yourself sending something unfamiliar, like a random page from a book.  Then wait a week or so, then listen to it and see if you can copy. 

If you just record yourself sending something very familiar and listen right away, you will remember and already know what you're listening to, so you won't be a good judge of your sending.

I did this when I was learning to send with a bug many years ago.

Ah, but a CW reader shows the problem areas right away! You don't need an expensive Begali reader either. You can plug a mike into a computer running FLdidgi or HRD's DM780, etc. Then you have an option of recording a live session or take the rig out of break-in mode and use the side tone while off the air. Cheap and effective!

Sure, but using my method is simultaneously good copying practice.  Smiley 
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 10:34:36 AM »

I'd be willing to bet that most bug users don't have a computer in the shack (I don't) and have never heard of "FLdidgi or HRD's DM780" (I haven't).  Smiley

paul
GW3OQK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2015, 02:25:14 AM »

AK7V indicates the only answer to "can you understand your own cw." I have used "Windows Recorder" recently.

Along side that make sure you can understand the perfect morse as send on this site http://www.smrcc.org.uk/Morse/morse.htm 
Andrew
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2015, 08:29:34 AM »

I'd be willing to bet that most bug users don't have a computer in the shack (I don't) and have never heard of "FLdidgi or HRD's DM780" (I haven't).  Smiley

paul

Therein lies the rub! I hope they have at least heard of TAPE recording ( we have progressed from wax rolls and wire recording). There are also inexpensive hand held DIGITAL recorders (with NO MOVING PARTS!!!!) too!
Perhaps this forum thread will encourage them to stop carving their logs into the cave walls and see there are better ways to do things these days...
You don't need the lastest greatest super fast computer in the shack. Some trailing edge of technology that runs a currently supported OS will be fine ( FLdidgi will run on XP, too!)

The fact that you can read this forum means that you have google at your fingertips and a computer to download the afore mentioned programs. FLdidgi is still free,HRD ( Ham Radio Delux) used to be free, but is now available by subscription. HRD is a suite of CAT ( computer aided transceiver), Spotting, logging, and digital mode programs, while FLdidgi is a basic interface for digital modes including CW. There are the some of the original free copies of HRD floating around if you dig deep enough into the web.  They still work fine. The last free release was 5.24.0.36.

Heck, you might even want to try PSK31 ! (google it)

K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2015, 12:23:53 PM »

No desire here to have a computer in the shack, thank you very much. A man, radios, keys, and paper/pencil.

And I agree, listening to yourself send is good. I used a portable mp3 recorder  to record myself when I first started using a bug a few years ago. I did the same thing when practicing QRQ with my paddles. The only thing I can send REALLY well at 50 wpm is my own callsign!

paul
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 05:45:31 PM »

I get a kick out of the bug jocks for whom a D is a dash and a few dits, a B is a dash and a few more, and a 6 is a dash and a whole bunch of dits. 
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 07:19:09 PM »

We were measured on our morse, they used an inker and you sat there with a ruler and measured the dot dash ratio and the spaces.

We also had to be able to send by hand an auto alarm signal 12 dashes each 4 seconds long and a 1 second gap, that is actually quite hard to do, especially when the examiner is stood in front of you with a stop watch.

There was a particular fleet of ships, that you avoided working like the plague, sometimes it could take 2 or more ops, conferring to attempt to decipherer what they were passing off as morse code. 

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2015, 02:26:32 PM »

I get a kick out of the bug jocks for whom a D is a dash and a few dits, a B is a dash and a few more, and a 6 is a dash and a whole bunch of dits. 

I love working OPs with bad buggy fists -- I expect many could have arthriitis or other impediments common to all of us as we age.  Great challenge and I suspect they also appreciate a good rag chew now and again. 

73  Grin
KK5DR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 06:39:04 PM »

I'd rather work the guy sending 5wpm of very well formed characters, than the 40wpm super rare dx sending endless strings of garbage.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: