The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW Certification?  (Read 24848 times)
AA4Q

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 10:21:25 PM »

hand write on the bottom "I certify that the above was copied without any aids" and sign it.

I used to have a cert for 20 or 25 or 30wpm, more than 20 years ago, wonder where it went to....

Poole
AA4Q
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 11:26:47 AM »

http://www.arrl.org/qualifying-run-schedule

The link above mentions the following:
Underline one minute of the highest speed you copied, certify that your copy was made without aid, and send it to ARRL for grading.

How do I certify that my copy was made without aid?

On my sheet of copy, I just wrote at the bottom "I certify that this copy was made without aid", signed it, and sent it to HQ.

Tim.
JOSEPHREDGATE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 12:06:41 PM »

I keep getting more excited about becoming a ham every day that I read the forums.  This is going to be very enjoyable.

Sincerely and respectfully,
Joseph Redgate (not "Joe" please)

"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." ~ C.H. Spurgeon
KB9CFH

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 08:54:53 PM »

Huh Somebody mentioned the Commercial Radiotelegraph License. You might want to check if they are still available. I think they are down to one element now.  Most of the new operations are coming out with GMDSS  ( Global Maritime Distress and Signaling Systems )     Operator/Maintainer Licenses.   You can get just an operator license and there is a Restricted GMDSS License. Or just the maintainer license if you work on the equipment but don't operate it at sea. Or a combo license for both OP/MAINT  and there is radar endorsement.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:00:51 PM by KB9CFH » Logged
KB4VVE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2015, 09:18:50 AM »

I would recommend that you just start with a Tech license and work up from there.
I started Morse practice in '58 and it took me until '86 to get my Novice.  Morse, not code held me up - I had a 1st commercial phone license for many years.  Now that I'm retired and have time (and a FB CW elmer), I've gotten my code up to about 10 WPM and I'm working on it still.
It will depend on your abilities and desires, but get the Tech and get on the air.  The Tech lets you operate CW for real.  It all just gets more better from there.
Enjoy the journey.
Greg, KB4VVE
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 02:42:09 PM »

I would recommend that you just start with a Tech license and work up from there.

I disagree!

Start with the General. It's not that much more study than the Technician, but you get a LOT more privileges.

73 de Jim, N2EY
KH2BR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 07:41:56 AM »

How about a official FCC Radio Telegraph operator License?
http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/index.htm?job=tn
Its good for a lifetime, and something to be proud to hold.
KH6WM

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 06:26:29 PM »

Code certification:

ARRL runs regular code qualifying runs including West Coast transmissions. See QST or ARRL web page.

Also, arrl.org has CW (text) files on line available at all speeds for practice.

Warren
N1UKX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 05:29:59 AM »

A CW WAS would be a nice certification.  How about DXCC on CW???...
KC8WUC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 08:28:56 AM »

Huh Somebody mentioned the Commercial Radiotelegraph License. You might want to check if they are still available. I think they are down to one element now.  Most of the new operations are coming out with GMDSS  ( Global Maritime Distress and Signaling Systems )     Operator/Maintainer Licenses.   You can get just an operator license and there is a Restricted GMDSS License. Or just the maintainer license if you work on the equipment but don't operate it at sea. Or a combo license for both OP/MAINT  and there is radar endorsement.

It's all very well and good to obtain these licenses, however they do cost money. Additionally they really serve no purpose unless you have a merchant mariner credential which is another additional expense and entirely different matter altogether. You're not likely to get any work without having any experience on board ship (sea time)and your initial STCW (e.g., Basic first aid, CPR, firefighting, live water survival training). Otherwise this is just something to put in your wallet and hang on the wall of your shack.

While you may be able to sit for the GMDSS operator/maintain her license and radar operator license, in order to work you will need to complete USCG approved training (which also offers the FCC exams for these licenses).

Michael
KC8WUC
WDE9344

Master Unlimited Great Lakes
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 12:44:52 PM »

It's all very well and good to obtain these licenses, however they do cost money. Additionally they really serve no purpose unless you have a merchant mariner credential which is another additional expense and entirely different matter altogether. You're not likely to get any work without having any experience on board ship (sea time)and your initial STCW (e.g., Basic first aid, CPR, firefighting, live water survival training). Otherwise this is just something to put in your wallet and hang on the wall of your shack.

While you may be able to sit for the GMDSS operator/maintain her license and radar operator license, in order to work you will need to complete USCG approved training (which also offers the FCC exams for these licenses).

Michael
KC8WUC
WDE9344

Master Unlimited Great Lakes

Do they still use discharge books and a red seamans card?  still have mine from the 70's, alas the photo shows a much earlier version of me.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
KC8WUC

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 02:56:09 PM »

It was photo ID (green "c" card), now it's like a passport.

We still have discharge letters.
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2015, 03:27:44 PM »

It was photo ID (green "c" card), now it's like a passport.

We still have discharge letters.

Thanks, the British Seamans Card was bright red, like a small passport, and you could travel on it in an emergency, the Discharge book was a proper passport type document where the OM signed you on and off the 2 year ships articles and you got your discharge from articles recorded, and either a VG, D or DR, DR basically meant you jumped ship or thumped someone.

They both had photo's in and your official number in the photo like a mug shot.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: