The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-830S NO RECEIVE-TRANSMIT AFTER CLEANING AND REINSTALLING IF UNIT  (Read 4796 times)
AB5AA

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2015, 04:56:54 PM »

Removed and cleaned IF unit board (plugs, bottom, and top) because of intermittent with s-meter.  After putting it back in there is no receiver rf or transmitter rf.  Also cleaned encased relays.   oscillator tone on keying and digital readout okay.   New 6146 B's.  Any suggestions?

Larry AB5AA
You can also email me at llcrip@aol.com
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 09:40:55 AM »

Larry:  I have no idea what you "cleaned" the board with.  If it was with a vacuum cleaner it's possible that you might have zapped a chip.

However, I would think the trouble might be you've installed the plugs incorrectly, you need star washers between the board and frame an lastly, when you pulled the plugs out you broke a wire on/in one of the plugs.

You should have cleaned the plugs with contact cleaner before re-installing them.

Go back to the board with the schematic or pictorial and make sure the plugs are inserted properly in the correct sockets.

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
AB5AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 02:34:47 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

I had cleaned the unit with electronic cleaner spray (I thought that was a "given," but I understand the need for clearer communicaton).  I labled all the plugs and made myself a guide before removing them.  I may recheck that.  I had also cleaned the plugs with electronics cleaner.  I can't remember now if there were already star washers under the board, but I will check.  I'll check for broken wires, too.  Not sure what I screwed up.

Thanks,
Larry
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 05:28:44 PM »

Larry, unless you installed the star washers, don't bother looking for them.  They ain't there brother!  That was one of the mods I had to make to my 830s to eliminate intermittents.

I do suggest you put at least 2 star washers  between the ground foil on the board(s) and frame.  (Not on the same screw!  Roll Eyes )

A strong magnifying glass should be used to examine each wire where it's terminated on the board.

I really get upset when I do something similar to what you did and then not have the damn thing work!  After the initial rage, the only thing to do is systematically looks at everything.  Don't hesitate to walk away from it for an hour or a day....even a few days and then go back and go over it again.  It's surprising what is overlooked when you know very well that everything is perfect!

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
AB5AA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 05:48:32 PM »

know what you mean.   will take a look at it this weekend.

thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: