The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MS Tech Scam  (Read 12189 times)
W9FIB

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2015, 07:48:59 PM »

Got a phone call today from someone who said that he was a MS service tech. He said that they detected a problem with my computer. I asked what the problem was. He said I had picked up some malware and they (MS) wanted to fix it. I asked why MS didn't just do a security patch. He said it needed to be done manually with the tech needing to remote into my computer. (Slick comeback!) Even though I was in front of my computer, I said I was not. He said he would call back later.

In the mean time, I talked to a friend of mine who IS a real IT professional and told him about the call. He told me MS will never call you. And he had a client that fell for the scam. Turns out they install some freeware junk programs and then charge you $300 to $400 for the work they have done. He told me what they install is pretty much useless and not worth a penny.

Don't know how long this scam has been out there, but I thought I would pass it on so no one gets taken.

BTW he never did call me back. And I was all ready to tell him what he could do with that scam.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 08:00:09 PM »

This type of scam is not new but I've heard the scammers are becoming more sophisticated.  Here is good write up about what they do:

https://blog.malwarebytes.org/tech-support-scams/

And this guy had his computer ruined when he didn't come up with a valid credit card:

https://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-scam/2013/04/phone-scammers-call-the-wrong-guy-get-mad-and-trash-pc/
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 03:28:56 AM »

Yea I figured it wasn't new, but just new to me. Thanks for the links. Interesting reading.

73, Stan
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 04:07:37 AM »

As soon as I answer the phone and they "Hello, this is Microsoft Technical Support" in their broken English, I scream "You're one of those no good scammers, that's what you are!". Most of they hang up immediately.

Lately, the caller ID says they are 411 directory from some state...
N0NB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 05:34:11 AM »

Seems like a bit of fun to be had.  Unfortunately, I'm one of those guys who has a short fuse with solicitors and don't think fast enough to have some fun at their expense.

73, de Nate
Bremen, KS

SKCC 6225
K4ISR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 08:27:04 AM »

I and my inlaws have received these scam calls from someone in India... I myself am a computer tech of 20 years. Essentially they take you into the event viewer where it is normal to have a few errors from various thing, but they have the scam down where they have most people believe that this means the computer has a virus or spyware.... Their fix is have you install a program that installs and finds THOUSANDS of viruses and spyware, but the only way to fix it is to pay their $30-80 price.
With the AV program I almost always use, Avira, I tried to download their program just for fun (older non-critical PC), and as soon as it finished downloading Avira popped up alerts and removed the downloaded file before I could even run/install it.

Key point here: Microsoft does NOT make house calls.

de K4ISR
AE5J

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 09:53:04 AM »

A friend of mine, who shall remain nameless, has a whole list of fun reverse scams as well as some really scary responses to present to these people.

One of the least threatening is to just laugh a little when you answer their call and after they identify themselves, and then ask:

"Do you know who you have reached?"  regardless of their response say:

"This is a high security number that belongs to the NSA Data Collection Center. How did you get this number?" then, again, regardless of response, say:

"I hate to tell you this sir, but by calling in on this number you have initiated an automatic tracking program that has already recorded a great deal of information about your identity and location." (pause a second or two then continue regardless of their response)

"Ummm...this looks bad sir. An audio and voice print analysis are starting. I'm going to hang up now for your protection sir. I'll see if I can keep your identity from being addded to the international terroist database."

Then immediately hang up. Whether they believe you or not, they may always wonder. And all this thanks to the super snoops at our good old government.    
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 10:00:30 AM by AE5J » Logged
VE7KNL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 06:57:35 PM »

I had that guy so pissed at me once, he actually called me back and called me a mother$*$*$*$ *%)#sucker.  LOL
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 07:10:35 PM »

Gee, and I thought this was going to be a thread about W8JX!
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 07:16:02 PM »

Sorry about that. Just wanted to pass on the scam so maybe others don't get bit. But I can see how one may think that. LOL

73, Stan
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 07:24:02 PM »

No need to apologize.  All I forgot about is if someone were to be drinking their coffee--and spit it all over their keyboard!  They would probably be claiming I owe them another keyboard.  I've done it before!!!
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 11:51:55 AM »

I just got a call from 209-104-3850 from the "Network Security Department".

Me: I am surprized you are calling
Guy: Why is that?
Me: Because I dont' have a network
Guy: There is a computer registered and I need to speak with the owner of that computer
Me: Oh...that old computer . It died some time ago and we never replaced it.
Guy: Click

VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 05:56:46 AM »

I just got a call from 209-104-3850 from the "Network Security Department".

Me: I am surprized you are calling
Guy: Why is that?
Me: Because I dont' have a network
Guy: There is a computer registered and I need to speak with the owner of that computer
Me: Oh...that old computer . It died some time ago and we never replaced it.
Guy: Click

Brilliant Stuff
 Grin

BTW: can anyone beat this record:

- sat arvo
- bored
- on 3rd beer.
M$ tech call
- strung 'em for 2Hrs 40Min
actually was using a PC - Linux O/S
- nothing would work - their level Three Support - couldn't figure out why !.
yeah - Level Three Support.
 Cool

N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 07:45:44 AM »

LOL. That's the first thing that came to mind.

If the caller asks if you are still using XP and then starts ranting that you are 'living in the past', there's a good chance it might be JX!
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 10:04:15 AM »

those crap artists call every couple months or so.

it ought to be obvious... but... tech support never calls YOU and that's the tip-off.  hell, they never call back when you open a ticket.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: