The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSL cards, not your typically question  (Read 7488 times)
AJ7G

Ignore
« on: February 21, 2015, 03:30:39 AM »

One of the college classes I'm enrolled in this semester is web design.  I'm doing research on copyright laws and yes, I've read through the law but it doesn't satisfy my question.  Through the years I've received some very beautiful QSL cards from some extremely rare locations.  Since most of these cards are from overseas sources and the "Berne convention" does affect countries that are part of the convention, I'm still unsure.  These QSL cards will be in a gallery setting for display only.  It will take some time to get permission from the stations even though I'm doing this as we speak.  So, my question is:

Are QSL cards protected by copyright laws?

73 and thanks Randy AJ7G
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 04:38:34 AM »

I have seen covers of QST plastered with QSL cards and I doubt they got permission from every one of them to be published.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 05:17:14 AM »

There's nothing, as far as I know, that eliminates copyright protection from ham radio QSL cards. If there is show it to me and I'll be glad to have the info.

Help out the Club Log QSL Card Tagging Project - Tag DX QSL Cards
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 10:48:49 AM »

Probably the only thing that may be a copyright issue is if you were to steal the card design to use to print and sell cards.

The more they are displayed, the better for the QSL card maker. People see all kinds of different designs and fall in love with one or another and order them. They used to send out all kinds of samples just for the asking. We used to get buried in samples when we got our first license. Little Print Shop was the unofficial notification that you had passed your exam and what your callsign would be. You would get sample cards from them several days before receiving your license from the FCC and your new callsign was with your address on the envelope.
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 11:42:21 AM »

These QSL cards will be in a gallery setting for display only.  It will take some time to get permission from the stations even though I'm doing this as we speak.  So, my question is:

I would think QSL cards are the same as any post card, and the artist that created them would reasonably expect that they would be displayed.  Does Disney worry about it if your friend takes a picture of you wearing a Mickey Mouse Tshirt?  Besides, it's not like you were going to make copies of the QSL cards. 
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 11:54:51 AM »

This doesn't refer to the actual QSL card itself, but to any "Image" if one is being used on it.

Take a look at this...

LINK: http://thevisualcommunicationguy.com/2014/07/14/can-i-use-that-picture/

Can I Use that Picture? The Terms, Laws, and Ethics for Using Copyrighted Images

Need to use an image but not sure if you have the legal and ethical right to do so? Understanding the laws for using images can be a bit tricky, especially because there is wiggle room within the laws. And, with the mass distribution of images on the internet, it’s no wonder we’re all asking the the same question over and over again: can I use that picture?

GoTo LINK for addition information plus nice InfoGraphic to save in your FYI file.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 12:02:57 PM by WA2ONH » Logged

73 de WA2ONH  <dit dit> ... Charlie
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Never be satisfied with what you know, only with what more you can find out"
Dr David Fairchild 1869-1954 US Scientist
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 01:16:11 AM »

If somebody wants to use my QSL card for something else then feel free, I'm too old to bother with things like enforcing copyright on stuff I create. The images I use on the cards are from old technical manuals that were published up to about 1920/1930 and since the companies died decades ago I have no idea who to contact regarding permission for their use.

An example, who will now hold the copyright on the October 1930 edition of Radio Sales and Service?
http://www.antiqueradios.com/neutrodyne/pages/00.htm

Peter DL8OV
KQ4YA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 08:19:17 AM »

In an academic setting you should be fine under the "fair use" doctrine. The fact that this is part of a college project gives you great latitude.
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 08:21:24 AM »

P,

Nice tie. I always suit up before taking out my American Beauty.

klc

EXTRALight  1/3 less WPM than a Real EXTRA
KD8UXB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 02:32:35 PM »

In an academic setting you should be fine under the "fair use" doctrine. The fact that this is part of a college project gives you great latitude.
^^^This.  If you would like to cover your rear then add an email link at the bottom of the page with the statement, "These pictures are for educational purposes only and posted under 'Fair Use'.  If you own the copyright on an image used within and would like it removed please email us".
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 07:49:50 AM »

One of the college classes I'm enrolled in this semester is web design.  I'm doing research on copyright laws and yes, I've read through the law but it doesn't satisfy my question.  Through the years I've received some very beautiful QSL cards from some extremely rare locations.  Since most of these cards are from overseas sources and the "Berne convention" does affect countries that are part of the convention, I'm still unsure.  These QSL cards will be in a gallery setting for display only.  It will take some time to get permission from the stations even though I'm doing this as we speak.  So, my question is:

73 and thanks Randy AJ7G
Yes. 

Or if you prefer... why wouldn't they be?

That said, I believe that under the various Fair Use laws, you should be OK to display them.  It's not like you're reproducing them and selling knock-offs.  So a statement to the effect of "individual cards may be protected by copyright" should be OK.  (I'm sure an armchair/internet lawyer will correct me on this)

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 08:22:09 AM »

If someone sent you a physical object like a QSL card that they created, you own that particular card, and can generally show it around, exhibit it, sell it, etc. Very much like a "letter" or "diary".

If the creator of the QSL card violated copyright laws in creating the card (and I can tell you, many of the pictures on the front of cards are professional works the QSL card creator did not get permission to use), then things get technically messy.

What you cannot necessarily do, is duplicate it. Universally the actual copyright owner won't care if you scan it and put it up on your personal web page but technically this is a duplication/republishing.

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/files/files/01.landes.unpublished.pdf

http://www.rightsofwriters.com/2011/02/sixteen-things-writers-should-know.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: