The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which DX-peditions Will You Be Chasing in 2015/16 for an ATNO?  (Read 33459 times)
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2015, 11:45:39 AM »

Although I know Cambodia isn't an island, I'd like to see an XU DXpedition planned in the near future. Cambodia continues to elude me.

We'll see if other opportunities come up, but I'm planning on Cambodia and/or Nepal next year with a focus on NA. I definitely hope to put Cambodia on the air with a multi-op team in the next few years. But another yet-to-be-announced operation that will make lots of folks happy is in the works for this year. No, not P5, but a top 50 entity that hasn't been on in several years. Details... soon. If the permits or boat don't come through, maybe I'll do Cambodia this fall.

I don't think either entity (Nepal or Cambodia) are exceedingly rare - I worked them a bunch of times when I was living in KH2 and XU specifically was almost somewhat common in contests.  The issue comes with RX due to local QRN, and a power limit of 100W and 400W respectively (not certain).  This, coupled with DXpedition standard antennas, makes long haul DX all that much harder.  In another words, they are active, but NA can rarely hear them.  That would be one of the challenges to executing a NA-focus DXpedition from there.
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2015, 12:05:55 PM »

I don't think either entity (Nepal or Cambodia) are exceedingly rare.

Correct, but on the Club Log list for NA, Nepal is #41 (more demanded than Aves Island or Palestine, for example) and Cambodia is #58. While both have some activity (at most a few hours of activity per week), neither are on a lot or at times or with propagation that focuses on NA. I think both would be fun and relatively easy entities to put on the air - Cambodia is one of my favorite places on the planet to visit. But you're correct that both would pose some distinct challenges to North America.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2015, 12:18:38 PM »

I don't think either entity (Nepal or Cambodia) are exceedingly rare.

Correct, but on the Club Log list for NA, Nepal is #41 (more demanded than Aves Island or Palestine, for example) and Cambodia is #58. While both have some activity (at most a few hours of activity per week), neither are on a lot or at times or with propagation that focuses on NA. I think both would be fun and relatively easy entities to put on the air - Cambodia is one of my favorite places on the planet to visit. But you're correct that both would pose some distinct challenges to North America.
You could do a lot of sightseeing while waiting for quiet geomagnetic conditions that allows for propagation over the poles.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/30-minute-aurora-forecast

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/node/114
They are also testing a 3 day forecast (link will likely be broken soon...)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 12:21:08 PM by W1VT » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2015, 01:15:27 PM »

What would make me exceedingly happy, other than a surprise ATNO like Pratas or San Felix, would be a dedicated 80/160m activation of the rare Asian zones for North America. Sure it's easy to work Zones 23, 24, 26 and 28 from 10 through 40m, but on 80 and 160?

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N5PHT

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2015, 02:44:22 PM »

For ATNO I only need Bouvet.  For CW I need KH5K, P5, VK0H, FT5W, VP8S, ZS8 and Eritrea.

Gary, N5PHT
WA4IIF

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2015, 07:04:10 PM »

N7SMI: I have Nepal confirmed, so my "vote" is for you to take a Cambodian visit.  Grin

73, Chuck
KJ4Z

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2015, 07:05:57 PM »

N7SMI: I have Nepal confirmed, so my "vote" is for you to take a Cambodian visit.  Grin

73, Chuck

I've worked Cambodia (still waiting on the QSL), so I'd prefer Nepal.   Smiley
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2015, 10:05:28 PM »

Hi Larry,

I have made 3 QSOs with A9 in the last year from Oak Ridge, all barefoot with a 40 meter dipole:

07/10/14   12:26   A92GE   CW   12m
25/07/14   23:44   A92HK   SSB   20m
25/07/14   23:36   A92HK   SSB   17m

Signals were good in all cases, so there's hope.  Good luck.

Mike

Hey Mike,
 Well, I don't have a mic and I would have to build the SSB module for the K2 - which I do have. So that leaves A92GE. There were 1 or 2 other active A9 CW ops a few years ago, but I think they went back to the UK. I've worked about every country around there (except, of course, EP) on multiple bands, but A9 has been the thorn in my side. I see A92GE spotted on the high bands, mainly before I have propagation. But that 12M QSO at 1230Z should have been a good time - I just wasn't there.

I believe you're chasing all-QRP nowadays. I got the ARRL's QRP-DXCC while I had an FT-817 (about 2002-2007) and was amazed how good 30m was for that activity. That award relies on an honor system so it's simple to qualify. For DXCC do all your cards have to show NU4B/QRP to count ? (For N5UD, do yours all have to show the /M to count ?)

I very rarely signed with /QRP, figured it just added extra time to the Q. For a couple of mine tho', I wish I had done that as hard proof !!!

K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2015, 01:33:10 AM »

73, Chuck

I've worked Cambodia (still waiting on the QSL), so I'd prefer Nepal.   Smiley

How about a combo dual activation trip?   Cheesy
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2015, 05:03:05 AM »

For ARRL QRP DXCC, you don't need to present cards. Just a log extract.

I also worked QRP DXCC using an FT-817, and it was actually fun! By that stage, I had figured out what was worth calling, and what was not worth bothering with.

For ATNO on the ADXO calendar, I have:

Trindade - slight chance
Heard I - should be easy
Bouvet - slight chance
S Georgia, Sandwich - again slight chance due to difficult path and time of year.

With two ATNO in the bag already this year, one more would make it a good year!

73 es GL,
Luke VK3HJ
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2015, 05:32:23 AM »

N7SMI: I have Nepal confirmed, so my "vote" is for you to take a Cambodian visit.  Grin

73, Chuck

I've worked Cambodia (still waiting on the QSL), so I'd prefer Nepal.   Smiley

How about a combo dual activation trip?   Cheesy

I didn't realize so many people need Nepal and Cambodia.  Always thought they were just mults in a contest  Grin

It looks like many of you also need E4.  You'll have to wait a year for E44Y however I hope it's worth the wait.  The team wants to work N.A. so any advice on how to work you is greatly appreciated.

Jonathan W6GX
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 06:14:40 AM by W6GX » Logged
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2015, 06:33:57 AM »

cc Nepal, here a quote from the 9N7 website.  GL to all!

"This time we will focus on North and South America. "Small pistols" prepare your ammunition (antennas) ! We will try to give All Time New One to as many stations as possible..."

http://9n.dxpeditions.org/

Jonathan W6GX
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2015, 08:32:10 AM »

Nepal is hard for me and I waited years. Father Moran was the only game in town and he hung out on nets most of the time and I don't do nets! Eventually there was a good expedition in 2011.
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2015, 08:37:38 AM »

N7SMI: I have Nepal confirmed, so my "vote" is for you to take a Cambodian visit.  Grin

73, Chuck

I've worked Cambodia (still waiting on the QSL), so I'd prefer Nepal.   Smiley

How about a combo dual activation trip?   Cheesy

I didn't realize so many people need Nepal and Cambodia.  Always thought they were just mults in a contest  Grin

"This time we will focus on North and South America. "Small pistols" prepare your ammunition (antennas) ! We will try to give All Time New One to as many stations as possible..."

Ouch.

I saw that on the 9N7 website.  Was looking for a place to donate as it seems I'm their target audience.  Smiley
KJ4Z

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2015, 08:56:20 AM »

cc Nepal, here a quote from the 9N7 website.  GL to all!

http://9n.dxpeditions.org/

Jonathan W6GX

Exciting!  That's one of the last regularly-inhabited countries I need.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: