The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which DX-peditions Will You Be Chasing in 2015/16 for an ATNO?  (Read 33299 times)
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2015, 07:56:39 PM »

Ok here we go-

HV0A

http://www.dx-world.net/hv0a-vatican-city/

GL!

Jonathan W6GX
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2015, 11:14:31 PM »

Hey Rich,

I see you are being listed as the pilot for 3Y0F.  Do you know if the NCDXF will fund this dxpedition?  If it does then that's a sign the dxpedition will likely happen Smiley

Jonathan W6GX

What I know:

+ Alex is very actively working on his project and funding - all channels
+ He tentatively has moved the dates so 3Y0F would happen right after VK0EK, meaning December 22 - January 15
+ He has a license

Thanks Rich.  I think the biggest challenge for Alex is finding qualified operators who are both skilled and financially fit.  Each operator IS a major sponsor.  With Navassa just ended, and Chesterfield, Heard, VP8 double header, Kerguelen, and Palmyra all in the span of just four months, there will be a shortage of qualified operators.  I really want to see the project succeed.  Hopefully Alex can pull it off.  If there's anything I could do to help please let me know.

Jonathan W6GX
KJ4Z

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2015, 11:18:05 PM »

... Chesterfield, Heard, VP8 double header, Kerguelen, and Palmyra all in the span of just four months...

I hadn't really thought about it like that till now.  That's insane.  Truly, these are the great days of DXing!
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2015, 03:16:10 AM »

Hi Larry,

I have made 3 QSOs with A9 in the last year from Oak Ridge, all barefoot with a 40 meter dipole:

07/10/14   12:26   A92GE   CW   12m
25/07/14   23:44   A92HK   SSB   20m
25/07/14   23:36   A92HK   SSB   17m

Signals were good in all cases, so there's hope.  Good luck.

Mike

Hey Mike,
 Well, I don't have a mic and I would have to build the SSB module for the K2 - which I do have. So that leaves A92GE. There were 1 or 2 other active A9 CW ops a few years ago, but I think they went back to the UK. I've worked about every country around there (except, of course, EP) on multiple bands, but A9 has been the thorn in my side. I see A92GE spotted on the high bands, mainly before I have propagation. But that 12M QSO at 1230Z should have been a good time - I just wasn't there.
KF7CSO

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2015, 04:30:47 AM »

Cool, that one has been a thorn.

Looking at my list again, I hope I don't make contact with P0OT....  Grin

Eric
KY6R

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2015, 04:31:57 AM »

Hey Rich,

I see you are being listed as the pilot for 3Y0F.  Do you know if the NCDXF will fund this dxpedition?  If it does then that's a sign the dxpedition will likely happen Smiley

Jonathan W6GX

What I know:

+ He tentatively has moved the dates so 3Y0F would happen right after VK0EK, meaning December 22 - January 15
+ He has a license

Thanks Rich.  I think the biggest challenge for Alex is finding qualified operators who are both skilled and financially fit.  Each operator IS a major sponsor.  With Navassa just ended, and Chesterfield, Heard, VP8 double header, Kerguelen, and Palmyra all in the span of just four months, there will be a shortage of qualified operators.  I really want to see the project succeed.  Hopefully Alex can pull it off.  If there's anything I could do to help please let me know.

Jonathan W6GX

I agree, and have a couple of comments. First - the person who goes and activates any entity is qualified and a hero in my book. Several of the VK0IR operators were inexperienced - and for a few it was their first DX-pedition. They made 80K QSO's at the absolute bottom of the cycle. I need to re-read the VK0IR book (free on the VK0EK.ORG site for anyone who wants a great read) again. Its the classic story of a team that had to overcome some hardships and who went on - all of the operators - to become world famous in the DX Community.

And several are leading some of the most successful DX-peditions today. You have to start somewhere, eh? VK0IR was a durn good place to start!
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2015, 05:24:34 AM »

Hey Rich,

Jonathan W6GX

What I know:

+ He has a license

Jonathan W6GX

I agree, and have a couple of comments. First - the person who goes and activates any entity is qualified and a hero in my book. Several of the VK0IR operators were inexperienced - and for a few it was their first DX-pedition. They made 80K QSO's at the absolute bottom of the cycle. I need to re-read the VK0IR book (free on the VK0EK.ORG site for anyone who wants a great read) again. Its the classic story of a team that had to overcome some hardships and who went on - all of the operators - to become world famous in the DX Community.

And several are leading some of the most successful DX-peditions today. You have to start somewhere, eh? VK0IR was a durn good place to start!

Agreed.  It would make sense for Alex to bring a few adventurers who may not have a ton of experience in dxpeditions.  Yes, I applaud anyone who takes on a challenging dxpedition such as Bouvet.  On the other hand major sponsors look for a seasoned team as their donation criteria.  So it must be tough trying to convince your sponsor that your dxpedition will go well despite having inexperienced operators.  I wish the financial model for dxpeditions could be different however the current system only rewards proven and experienced teams.  Sorry for all of the negativity.  I'm trying to bring the challenges of mounting a dxpedition to light.  With that said I will support the dxpedition once they have NCDXF on board as a major sponsor.

Jonathan W6GX
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2015, 06:03:21 AM »

Heard, South Georgia, South Sandwich, Bouvet, Eritrea....getting all five would push me to #330.
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2015, 06:28:22 AM »

Ohh, I did not see Spratly in Aprilon the list!! that would be a new one too. Looks like a pretty big operation, still hope it's a go.

paul
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2015, 09:44:57 AM »

Still need Bouvet, South Sandwich, South Georgia. If I can work those in 2015 or early 2016, I would be very happy.

73, N4KZ
WA4IIF

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2015, 10:36:01 AM »

Looking ahead with 315 current, I'll be chasing the following for ATNO's: Eritrea, Trindade Island, South Sandwich and South Georgia Islands, Chesterfield Island, Heard Island, Bouvet Island, Palmyra Island, and Kerguelen Island. That will be lot of island chasing by someone who lives on a barrier island in northwest Florida near the Gulf of Mexico.

73, Chuck
WA4IIF

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2015, 10:42:58 AM »

Although I know Cambodia isn't an island, I'd like to see an XU DXpedition planned in the near future. Cambodia continues to elude me.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2015, 11:02:28 AM »

It all depends on what I can hear, but South Sammich and Georgie, and Chesterfield are the most desireable.....now that I have a working amp, hopefully I will be able to step on people to get what I need...... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked...........

V
K3NRX

N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2015, 11:21:26 AM »

I'm not holding out much hope that FT5W will show up on the air, but I am hopeful I will be able to work a PJ5 this year for my 2nd to last ATNO  Smiley Smiley  (no, really!)
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2015, 11:31:51 AM »

Although I know Cambodia isn't an island, I'd like to see an XU DXpedition planned in the near future. Cambodia continues to elude me.

We'll see if other opportunities come up, but I'm planning on Cambodia and/or Nepal next year with a focus on NA. I definitely hope to put Cambodia on the air with a multi-op team in the next few years. But another yet-to-be-announced operation that will make lots of folks happy is in the works for this year. No, not P5, but a top 50 entity that hasn't been on in several years. Details... soon. If the permits or boat don't come through, maybe I'll do Cambodia this fall.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: