The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hams operations from RV.  (Read 5722 times)
WA9CFK

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2015, 12:53:04 PM »

I have run HF mobile off and on for a number of years but now I tow an RV.  I would like to run HF while camping.

I run the old hustler series antennas on the truck and thought when I stopped for a few days I could just screw them into a mag mount and plop them onto the roof of the RV.  The coax run would be short so I could use an antenna tuner if necessary.

I was wondering what others have done?

Also I have searched the web for RV ham net frequencies but have not heard anyone on the air. Does anyone know of an active RV net time and frequency?
KC9YTJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 01:15:09 PM »

http://rvradionetwork.com/ ?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 02:43:55 PM »

This should keep you busy for a bit: http://www.k0bg.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1003

KT4NR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 05:51:33 PM »

Good Sam and the Airstream folks had HF nets at one point. Have not heard a peep from them in a while. Out East you have three good 40m nets ECARS, MidCARS and SouthCARS. Look for all three between 7230 and 7270 most days of the week after about 0900 ET. I've never heard of any nets West of the Mississippi.

Radio wise see Alan's page(K0BG) and for parked operations consider another mast and coil for each HF band. There is an adapter to turn that into a dipole. Works pretty good in a pinch.

Good luck.
M0GVZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 07:17:26 PM »

Have a look at some Quartzfest videos. Its where a bunch of hams meet up in the desert once a year. Lots of RVs and lots of ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHw3LDZ2g8k
W7REK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 09:27:21 PM »

I lived full-time in an RV for over six years operating as AC0NM, mostly on 20-meters.

I used a 20-meter inverted-V dipole propped up on a 16-foot painter's pool clamped to the trailer hitch on the back of the motorhome (as it did not have a ladder). Sometimes I ran a dipole leg over the top of the RV with the other leg going to the rear. Other times I ran the legs sideways depending on how much room was available.  I also bought a Buddipole from the factory when we were in Oregon. Both worked amazingly well, especially the dipole, at least on 20 and above. I never had good results with 40-meters. At first I had problems with RFI in the coach. It affected the bathroom fan, wireless router and even got into my K3's audio section. A balun at the dipole centerpoint, an isolation balun at the radio and chokes on the 12v powerline, headphones and microphone lines helped. I also ran WSPR with a laptop when I had an internet connection.

I only was aware of interfering with another RV once, and that was before I had a balun on the dipole. Also only once was I told to take the antenna down -- that was near Palm Springs, California. Mostly nobody noticed or cared.

The Family Motor Coach Association Amateur Radio Chapter meets Monday through Friday at 14.3075 at 1:00 PM Eastern. “You do not have to own a motor home or be a member of this chapter to join in this net.” See fmcaarc.com/

I would also second the mention of Quartsite, “A gathering of Amateur Radio Operators in RVs near Quartzsite Arizona.” Next one is January 17th through the 23rd, 2016. Quartzsite is not for everyone, but I think every RVer should try it at least once. I had a lot of fun. See www.quartzfest.org

With very low background noise in rural areas and phenomenal performance when backed up to an ocean (like at Pacific Beach State Park in Washington), operating RV mobile will spoil you. I highly recommend it.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 09:26:27 AM »

With very low background noise in rural areas and phenomenal performance when backed up to an ocean (like at Pacific Beach State Park in Washington), operating RV mobile will spoil you. I highly recommend it.

I'll second that. I operated 20-meters with a Buddipole vertical in a mag-mount on my van parked at Ocean Shores, WA and was making QSOs all across the country.

Pretty amazing stuff!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: