Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5G?  (Read 7893 times)
W8JX

Ignore
5G?
« on: March 10, 2015, 08:58:37 AM »

It seems while they are still tweaking and refining 4G/LTE that they are working hard on next standard now called 5G. Unlike past upgrades that were focused on speed improvements, 5G will focus on intelligence and adaptability/scalability  as well as speed of new standard. Not expected to be fully deployed until 2020 it will allow for device to be dump clients that will use the cloud for computing with wearable devices. Computing power will no longer be limited to device. It will also support multiple video streams at same time. It will use a sort of intelligence to minimize latency and maximize performance.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 10:02:25 AM »

When they started the standardisation work on 4G before 3G was up and running, I asked one of the engineers involved at an ETSI meeting why they were doing it, other than to make sure of their regular foreign travel for a few years. His response was "We have to fix all the c**k ups we have put into 3G now it's too late to do anything about them". I suspect that 5G might have a touch of the same.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 10:30:31 AM »

When they started the standardisation work on 4G before 3G was up and running, I asked one of the engineers involved at an ETSI meeting why they were doing it, other than to make sure of their regular foreign travel for a few years. His response was "We have to fix all the c**k ups we have put into 3G now it's too late to do anything about them". I suspect that 5G might have a touch of the same.

4g can only handle 1 video stream at a time. 5g will "fix" that.

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 03:42:29 PM »

And maybe some other problems. But it does mean that a lot of people will have a lot of foreign travel to some pretty nice places for a long, long time.......and whether or not it will all be worth it in the long run is another matter......
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 06:52:54 PM »

5G is the answer to more and more bandwidth. Because of the increasing bandwith demand the present bands will not suffice. The 5G effort is based around 60 GHz. To learn more about 5G go to nyuwireless.com.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 04:11:54 AM »

5G is the answer to more and more bandwidth. Because of the increasing bandwith demand the present bands will not suffice. The 5G effort is based around 60 GHz. To learn more about 5G go to nyuwireless.com.

Not really. Verizon and at&t are sitting on a ton of unused spectrum. They are buy it like crazy, not because they need it now or even tomorrow but because it will be worth far more in distant future to trade or sell and government is stupid enough to sell it for a steal today vs future worth.

K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 06:24:45 AM »

Not really. Verizon and at&t are sitting on a ton of unused spectrum. They are buy it like crazy, not because they need it now or even tomorrow but because it will be worth far more in distant future to trade or sell and government is stupid enough to sell it for a steal today vs future worth.

We will see. There are 3 possibilities:

Taken from Wikipedia:

1. A super-efficient mobile network that delivers a better performing network for lower investment cost. It addresses the mobile network operators pressing need to see the unit cost of data transport falling at roughly the same rate as the volume of data demand is rising. It would be a leap forward in efficiency based on the IET Demand Attentive Network (DAN)philosophy.

2. A super-fast mobile network comprising the next generation of small cells densely clustered together to give a contiguous coverage over at least urban areas and gets the world to the final frontier for true “wide area mobility”. It would require access to spectrum under 4 GHz perhaps via the world's first global implementation of Dynamic Spectrum Access.

3. A converged fiber-wireless network that uses, for the first time for wireless Internet access, the millimeter wave bands (20 – 60 GHz) so as to allow very wide bandwidth radio channels able to support data access speeds of up to 10 Gbit/s. The connection essentially comprises “short” wireless links on the end of local fiber optic cable. It would be more a “nomadic” service (like WiFi) rather than a wide area “mobile” service.

I work in the industry but unfortunately I wasn't able to attend the GSMA Mobile World Congress in Barcelona this year but many of my colleagues were able to attend and a number of 60 GHz solutions were presented.

Here is one of my company's Test and Measurement solutions presented by my two of my colleagues at last years 5G summit courtesy of Microwave Journal:

http://www.microwavejournal.com/ext/resources/video/5GSummit2014/CUsersphindleDesktopDesktop-FilesVideos5Gsummit2014RandS.mp4
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 06:39:34 AM by K2GWK » Logged

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 07:25:39 AM »

AT&T is sitting on massive amounts of spectrum crying for more when they have a lot of unused.  I have zero trust in at%t about their honesty on this matter. They are greedy and want it all. I recently got in a fight with them over a metered fax line I had for many years that was about 13/mo cheaper than a regular line. They quietly upgraded it to a full line and claimed they could not roll it back to old setting. Pure BS. Its about grabbing every penny they can.

G8HQP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 05:47:44 AM »

Like many people I still use only 2G.

About 12 years ago I had to write an essay on 3G for a university MSc assignment. My conclusion was that it was overhyped and would not deliver what the marketeers had promised. Frankly I was surprised at how poor it was. My professor's comment was that he feared I was right, but hoped I was wrong as 3G would provide plenty of work for EEs.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 06:30:11 AM »

Like many people I still use only 2G.

About 12 years ago I had to write an essay on 3G for a university MSc assignment. My conclusion was that it was overhyped and would not deliver what the marketeers had promised. Frankly I was surprised at how poor it was. My professor's comment was that he feared I was right, but hoped I was wrong as 3G would provide plenty of work for EEs.

Part of problem was 3g hardware in field. There was two speed standards within 3g as well as fall back to 2g. Then there was problems with various chipsets devices used too. Even LTE had issues for first year or so it was deployed with device chipsets and power usage which has since been resolved.

K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 05:28:09 PM »

AT&T is sitting on massive amounts of spectrum crying for more when they have a lot of unused.  I have zero trust in at%t about their honesty on this matter. They are greedy and want it all. I recently got in a fight with them over a metered fax line I had for many years that was about 13/mo cheaper than a regular line. They quietly upgraded it to a full line and claimed they could not roll it back to old setting. Pure BS. Its about grabbing every penny they can.

It is futile to argue with someone who will never admit they are wrong so whatever you say.......
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 05:31:36 PM by K2GWK » Logged

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 05:44:42 PM »

AT&T is sitting on massive amounts of spectrum crying for more when they have a lot of unused.  I have zero trust in at%t about their honesty on this matter. They are greedy and want it all. I recently got in a fight with them over a metered fax line I had for many years that was about 13/mo cheaper than a regular line. They quietly upgraded it to a full line and claimed they could not roll it back to old setting. Pure BS. Its about grabbing every penny they can.

It is futile to argue with someone who will never admit they are wrong so whatever you say.......

You mean with someone that is gulible and in denial like yourself.  Only a fool would take at&t's word on anything related to spectrum and it's lack of it. they are also against the government raising the broadband minimum standard to 10mbits for future government incetives and want it left at 2mbits even though they know that 2mbit WILL NOT support HD video streaming. If standard stays at 2, they can charge a lot more for speeds needed for streaming.  Its all about profit and days of market regulating itself are gone as too few hold too much of it.

K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 05:55:27 AM »

You mean with someone that is gulible and in denial like yourself.  Only a fool would take at&t's word on anything related to spectrum and it's lack of it. they are also against the government raising the broadband minimum standard to 10mbits for future government incetives and want it left at 2mbits even though they know that 2mbit WILL NOT support HD video streaming. If standard stays at 2, they can charge a lot more for speeds needed for streaming.  Its all about profit and days of market regulating itself are gone as too few hold too much of it.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 08:51:20 AM »

at&t banks on disbelievers as yourself. To you ignorance truely is bliss because you believe they have your best interests at heart but only interest they have is your pocket book.

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 12:16:08 PM »

The whole cellular industry has the attitude that all spectrum between about 140MHz and 1000GHz is theirs by right, and other services are only allowed in on sufferance. You can see this attitude at the meetings of organisations like CEPT and ITU, although there does seem at CEPT to be developing a bit of the Administrations fighting back. I'm sure that LTE will eventually be seen to actually stand for 'Long Term Embarassment'...
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: