The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW Decoder settings  (Read 3461 times)
KW4JA

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2015, 06:06:44 PM »

I downloaded the software CW Decoder about two months ago to use with CW Type. Problem is it only decodes an occasional letter. Even when I transmit my callsign using CW Type the decoder doesn't decode it. There are several settings to CW Decoder and I surmise it may be the settings I have used. Can someone who has used this software successfully advise how you set the settings. Thanks in advance.

Dave
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 09:01:28 AM »

I am not familiar with CW Decoder but I do use CW Get occasionally when during a contest or a DXPediton the op is running faster than I can copy.  The first thing you must know is that decoders will ONLY decode perfect CW. From a paddle that is rare and from a key it is impossible. I would suggest you try your decoder during a contest or on the DX end of an DXPedition. Another one you can try is to tune into the ARRL CW copy sessions (times & freqs listed on the website).  As for your decoder not decoding your own signal I will say that CW Get takes a few seconds to sync to the sent code. So for instance when a station sends a CQ and his/her call it will start to decode about the time the call is being sent with only occasional hits during the CQs. 

The advice you will get from many is to develop your own skills, as you can decode signals that software will never handle, and I concur. The only way to do that is to copy code. Either from a tape, the aforementioned copy sessions or best of all - get on the air. You will be surprised how many will answer your sloppy fist and work with you to get your speed up. I personally suggest getting a paddle and a keyer (if you do not have one built into your rig) and try that. I never mastered the timing necessary to send with a straight key but do OK on an Iambic paddle where the keyer takes care of the timing.  Good luck.

Clint - W5CPT -
AE5J

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 09:49:04 AM »

There are a lot of things that cause the reader programs to not function. I am going to assume here you are running your rig audio to your computer AUX input or other audio input. Otherwise the program is trying to copy audio with the built in microphone in the computer. Not good.

Next I'm going to assume you have the audio input settings in the computer setup correctly. You can Google that or go to Tigertronix site and find out how for your operating system.

Last I'm not familiar with the program you're using. I've used CWGet which works - sort of. The free version of Ham Radio Deluxe has a much better reader in the DM780 section. But...the best advice you already have. The built-in decoder between your ears is far and away the best way to go.
Pete
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: