The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathkit HR-10B Couple of Questions  (Read 17469 times)
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 06:45:04 PM »

After almost 50 years hamming and working every country and 9BDXCC etc, etc ham radio started getting boring and I wanted a new challenge.

About 5 years ago I started working 40M CW only with a Drake 2B receiver and 2NT 50 watt crystal control transmitter. So far I have worked 291 countries with this 50 year old boat anchor station.

Wanting an even more challenging project I recently acquired a HR-10B and DX-60B. I restored the HR-10B and on 80M and 40M I can hear a 0.1uV signal from my service monitor. Stability is quite good after a warm up. When going to 20M sensitivity starts taking a nose dive. The HR-10B is almost useless on 15M and 10M. Dial calibration is OK and I have the accessory crystal calibrator.

My next challenge is working DXCC and beyond on 40M CW with the HR-10B and DX-60B using a dipole up about 50 feet. Since I am usually quite active outdoors during the warm months, it will be fall or winter before this project "kicks off".

Dick AD4U
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 03:39:41 AM »

I had this Heathkit station about 35 years ago along with the matching HG-10 VFO. I worked 40m.
 The HR-10B oscillator did tend to run out of steam and go deaf at the higher frequencies. The DX-60B seemed to do well on any band. The HG-10 was fair and I did prefer using xtals.
 My only suggestion would be to keep the receiver wire harness and component dressing the exact same as shown in the assembly manual pictorials. Try substituting V1 and V2 with other tubes to see if it makes a difference, if you haven't already.
KE4OH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 07:38:30 PM »

Okay, so I aligned this thing according to the manual and was able to walk LO back into spec. Not sure why it was so far out of whack on two bands, but not the others. But this one was really beat up when I got it, so there is just no telling.

Anyway, now it works pretty dang well on 80m-20m. 15m now is back on the printed dial scale, but is fairly deaf as expected. 10m? Well, the band was pretty dead at my QTH today, so who knows? I'm not expecting much...

I reflowed some questionable ground connections in the RF stages. That seems to have taken care of the oscillation issue at high RF gain settings.

So the S-meter doesn't seem to work right. But on an RX like this, they only really have a chance of working right with the BFO off. I only work CW, so I'm not likely to bother!

All-in-all, I think I got my money's worth. I'll have this thing on the air later this week.

Thanks for the help!

73, Steve

73 de Steve KE4OH
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: