The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Connecting Straight Key to Omni 7  (Read 7762 times)
KA2Z

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2015, 09:06:40 AM »

Hi... Im trying to connect a straight key to the front 1/4" key jack on the Omni 7.
Its not working with the internal keyer off or on.
The circuit is good because when I plug my external keyer and paddles in they work fine.
It has to be something simple Im not seeing.

Thanks for any comment.

Rosario/ KA2Z

rdiperi@gmail.com
PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 10:19:06 AM »

Your keyer uses a stereo 1/4" plug. Unscrew the isolating head and notice which 2 of the 3 contacts are connected with your keyer cable. Use the same pair for your key plug.

WI4P

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 01:49:43 PM »

If you are trying to use a mono plug it will short the tip and ring and may cause the keyer to send constantly.  Either get a mono to stereo adapter or see PAOWV above.
W0WCA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 05:19:21 PM »

Interestingly, I find the TT Omni VII manual ambiguous regarding using a straight key. 
The only thing that I can offer is that my TT Jupiter uses a ¼” mono plug for the straight keys – with the keyer off of course.
KA2Z

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 09:13:01 AM »

PA0WV... You were right. The 1/4" plug I was using was divided into three sections instead of two, or just one. I shorted one of the sections I had connected to my key. Problem solved.

Thanks,

Rosario/  KA2Z
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 08:38:51 AM »

Good grief; sooooo sad, and with an "EXTRA" class call!!!!!!
The times, they are a changin'.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 12:48:27 PM »

Obviously, He has a good memory. I'm sure he will remember how to do this in the future.  Grin
Not everybody can be a technical "wiz kid".
Maybe he's better at CW than you are. Does that make you less as a Ham?  Huh

K7NSW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 11:18:10 AM »

OK - looks like the problem is solved. Then comes the next problem: the delay and inconvenience involved when you want to change keys. You have to unplug one and pluq in the other. So, get a 1/4 inch stereo splitter. Now you have both keys plugged in. To switch keys simply turn on or off the keyer. Easy to do with the Omni.

Yes, I know you can also get another key input on the rear of the Omni. But that involves attaching tiny wires to your key. How long before those flex off? Anyone want to share their solution to that one?
KA2Z

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 07:48:15 AM »

OK - looks like the problem is solved. Then comes the next problem: the delay and inconvenience involved when you want to change keys. You have to unplug one and pluq in the other. So, get a 1/4 inch stereo splitter. Now you have both keys plugged in. To switch keys simply turn on or off the keyer. Easy to do with the Omni.

Yes, I know you can also get another key input on the rear of the Omni. But that involves attaching tiny wires to your key. How long before those flex off? Anyone want to share their solution to that one?

I got a 1/4 to 1/8 splitter with five jacks on it. Found it in the dollar store. So I can use five keys now to the one Jack on my radio.
Thanks for commenting.
KA2Z

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 08:03:47 AM »

I did ask a stupid question that I feel silly about now. But sad? I dont think its sad.
Whats sad is that this hobby of ours is dying because more people will not come into these threads with questions because of arrogant morons like you who have poor social interaction skills.

I have an extra class call because I passed the written test and I can copy, and send code at more than twenty five words a minute.

In fact, your childish comment just reminds me why I never pick up a mic, talk on the radio, or rarely come into these forums.
People are just sooo much nicer in the CW portions of the bands.
N6VL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 08:45:27 AM »

There is another possible option. Don't insert the 1/4" mono plug all the way into the jack. That works in one situation I have. The tip of the plug connects to the ring of the jack.

Just a thought...
PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 04:32:37 AM »

PA0WV... You were right. The 1/4" plug I was using was divided into three sections instead of two, or just one. I shorted one of the sections I had connected to my key. Problem solved.

Thanks,

Rosario/  KA2Z

OK, nice to hear that I solved your problem.

Now 2 years later and still alive, next advice:
Don't bother or react about people that (try to) upset you.

Understand that some people are very proud on meeting the original extra licence requirements because it is the top they just could reach with their maximal mental abilities and effort.  They feel the degrading  of requirements as theft of their obtained honoring level. Try to understand that. Just like a lot of old school hams feel the omission of Morse code requirements.

Welcome with your thoughts and problems on this forum, of CW enthousiasts. starting, QRS and QRQ guys, Ex-professionals and just hobby-ham-CW like me.

Remember CW is the easiest way to build your own QRP equipment from scratch and a junk box.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 04:34:55 AM by PA0WV » Logged

WD8DKB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 04:32:55 AM »

I did ask a stupid question that I feel silly about now. But sad? I dont think its sad.
Whats sad is that this hobby of ours is dying because more people will not come into these threads with questions because of arrogant morons like you who have poor social interaction skills.

I have an extra class call because I passed the written test and I can copy, and send code at more than twenty five words a minute.

In fact, your childish comment just reminds me why I never pick up a mic, talk on the radio, or rarely come into these forums.
People are just sooo much nicer in the CW portions of the bands.
 Off hand, I'd say you nailed it and him.  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: