The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 silverado recommendation  (Read 6323 times)
KB8SKK

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2015, 02:20:34 PM »

Just got new truck, looking at 40 mtr.
What has worked for you ?
Radio ? Ant. ?

Tx,
Karl
KB8SKK
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 02:40:20 PM »

You could spend some time on my web site? And, you could go to your nearest amateur radio dealer, and play with the demo units. Which I believe, is your best best, as listening to your best buddy isn't always rewarding.

KB8SKK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 05:18:15 AM »

Thanks, great site.

I know some of the newer trucks don't play well with HF, just looking
to see what may have worked, for someone with same truck.
1500 reg. cab, long bed, 4x4, plain Jane

Karl
VE7REN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 05:59:47 PM »

I own a 2010 Silverado with a ts480hx and a tarheel 2 antenna... screwdiver antenna are the way to go.. all bands,and virtually maintence free with periodic cleaning... ive tried many antenna and radios,ex.857d,706,ts50,ft100, and the 480 is by far the nicest in the mobile.. and im an icom guy t home..hehe.. that's my 2 cents
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 05:52:44 PM »

I use a TS-480 in my 2011 Silverado. Some noise generated by the ignition system. Also on a quiet band say 10/15 meters some computer buss noise. Hard to get rid of all the noise.

If you do CW a lot or chase DX. You need a CW IF filter. I use the 270Hz.

A screwdriver antenna is the way to go for band hopping.

With my setup I have over 310 DXCC mobile since the end of 2010. It took me until mid 2011 to really figure how to do mobile DX. 2011 was 242 countries and 40 zones. If working DX is an indication of how well an install works. That should give you an idea. IMHO this sun cycle was not as good as those in the past.

73 Dave N5UD
KE0MS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 09:25:14 PM »

I have used an Icom 706mkIIg and a Tarheel 200A in my 2002 Silverado 1500 for many years, and worked DX all over the world.  However, I removed it all last year when I had major restoration bodywork done to the truck cab and replaced the bed completely.  I have not put it all back on. 

However, I am not sure if I'll put it back on right away or not.  I am thinking about trying an Icom AH-3 or 4 tuner mounted in the pickup bed (under the fiberglass topper cap I installed) along with a 108" whip or maybe some hamsticks... the install of the Tarheel (while excellently performing) is a daunting task.  If I find I am not happy with my trial with the tuner and whip, I'll go to the expense and trouble to reinstall the Tarheel 200A.  That antenna is awesome, but man, it is a job to do it right.

You can still see pics of my truck (before the restoration) on my QRZ page. http://www.qrz.com/db/KE0MS

I love the k0bg website site, by the way.  I am going to invest in those brass mounts your links pointed me to.  GREAT INFO there.

Wayne, ke0ms
KB8SKK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 06:48:01 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback. Wayne your truck looked wild (nice) with all the antenna's.
Will let you know what I come up with.
Only in truck 30 min each way, so may just spend $ on home site.

Dayton soon can't wait.

Karl

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: