The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New ham loosing interest really fast.  (Read 131880 times)
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2015, 01:45:24 PM »

99.9% of nets are a useless waste of time & band space anyway so who cares what they say? Get away from the nets & enjoy your radio. Not much in life more boring than a net much less on Ham Radio.Go have a QSO or call CQ.  Roll Eyes

Clayton
W4KVW
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2015, 02:15:17 PM »

Net control guy here tonight, some 70 year old, said that anyone who does not have a dedicated radio for weather, along with other high dollar gear, does not deserve to be a Ham. I am sick of some of these a-holes on the airways who think they are better than everyone else because they have 50 trillion dollars invested in the hobby. So far it is mainly the old ones saying these crappy things, and on the airways at that. Does the FCC have a law on being a prick?

Matt
I probably agree with you but I am already 65. Forget the nets. Build! Then you will enjoy the hobby. I don't play well with others. Why I don't really understand but I don't. I do really enjoy though exploring early builds,(AWA stuff) vintage Military rigs and the occasional QSO. XYL says I have zero tolerance for stupidity. I don't really know. I know I don't give a rats tail about what someone else does as far as "I should do likewise" although I am always listening for good ideas. Chart your own path. Avoid those who bug you. Remember the phrase from Gone with the Wind. "Frankly Scarlet- --- ---- - ----." ;>)
don

I agree. There is a lot more to this hobby than 2M. A little more work needed to build and understand antennas and the fun of propagation on HF. As for life and death survival; I was asking a similar question on another forum that seems to be defunct, and the response was, "you are going to depend on another Amateur operator and the ensuing chaos of lawlessness to save your life"Huh?
I hope the OP will reconsider where he wants to operate and enjoy Ham radio.
fred
NQ3M

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2015, 04:25:25 AM »

Quote from: KC4MOP
"you are going to depend on another Amateur operator and the ensuing chaos of lawlessness to save your life"Huh?
That would depend on who the other ham/s is/were an where his/they're 20 is, would it not? Some folks got into radio for reasons other than playing/having another hobby.  HF to microwave + correct antennas + operating talents, = one of the 3 things that are required to operate effectively when it all goes wrong. Loved the net comments, however most net's are good training for down the road, and they will teach you about your gear, controlling your reach, and other ability's.
WV8RS

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2015, 05:48:11 AM »

There is SO much more in the VHF/UHF Spectrum than repeaters... I have a friend who refuses to use a repeater even though we work 2 meters constantly... "52" FM Simplex is almost a private frequency here in West Virginia... We sometimes get visitors and whole heartedly welcome them to chat with us... A few times we've mentioned "Simplex" to some of the guys at gatherings and we get a "What is that?" response... Multimode rigs are a little expensive but, 2 meter SSB is a whole other world...  Oh, by the way, my friend doesn't care for repeaters because of a bad experience with an "IDIOT" when he was first starting out... He described it as stumbling into a Yellow Jacket's NEST!!! So... By the way, we're both EXTRAS and work from end to end in the Bands... 160 meters up into 440mhz...  I LOVE experimenting with antennas, Larry likes playing with Amplifiers... To each his own... Build you an "Arrow" antenna and work a Sattellite with that "HT"... So much here for so many... 73 de WV8RS...
K4PIH

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2015, 06:01:01 AM »

I think what the OP ran into was one of those whacker types who crave power and when they get it go out of control. Doesn’t matter if the OP was into prepping or not, he got into ham radio for whatever reason, to be ready for TEOTW as he sees it, and got slapped by the NCS with power but no brains.

One response alluded to the OP being a right-wing nut job. So What? I prep as well and anyone who doesn’t is just kicking the can down the road. Potty mouth … Have you spun the big knob lately and listened? I was out of the hobby for 12 years and then got back in, now I’m wondering.

Yes for ARES you do have to sign a form that connects you to DHS. How do I know this? I work for DHS and work in government disaster response and continuity operations. From my point of view, I wouldn’t sign the form either and I work there! As the latest news points out, your information is not secure with the government.

Back on point. Here was a chance to take a new ham and nurse him into the hobby beyond a local HT net and they blew it! Someone (I think they were called Elmer’s at one time) should have explained that HF can play a big role in a local emergency. Example: Hurricane hits and takes out all comms including the local repeaters. How does the first information get out and in? How do loved ones contact someone to check on family? Look no further than the Tsunami in Japan, earthquake in Haiti. HF will fill the bill.

Was the OP a troll? Possibly, but the troll will remain under the bridge until someone encourages him to come out.
K8QV

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2015, 10:21:20 AM »

Just don't loose interest. Don't lose it, either.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2015, 08:08:28 PM »

The main problem besides those nets and net controllers is the ARRL and the push for what is being called 'public service emergency communications.'  The newer hams are being fed the line that with a 2 mtr. HT and echolink, you can 'work the world.'

As long as that is pushed and repeated, there will be new hams that get disgruntled fast and lose interest.
KJ4DGE

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2015, 01:51:28 AM »

Matt,

I felt the same way with a similar HAM at my club when I started. He knew everything and all others were lids or worse. Hang in there. You will meet some really cool ppl, both elmers and newbies. I met a HAM who was a radio guy for SAC NORAD on Crystal palace among others. Don't let one close-minded anal retentive person ruin your hobby.

KJ4DGE
W8LV

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2018, 06:45:18 PM »

1) Google up Ham Nation and Amateurlogic.tv and DXCommander on Youtube.
Watch a few. Then google up some QRP topics on Youtube.

2) Procure a QRP HF Rig. It's more than a mode...
It's a lifestyle choice. It's about making due with what you have,
and being in a contest with YOURSELF.
You will be Challenged. You will Excell!
You will learn about radio!

3) You always meet the Finest People on a QRP rig.
Really. REALLY! That goes Double for the SPRAT (UK)
Guys, and the QRP ARCI guys. These are the FINEST people
that you will break bread with, and that you will have QSO's with!

4) QRPARCI holds a parallel event to The Dayton (Greenfield)
Hamvention in Hotel nearby every year....
Google "Four Days in May", with everyone going over to the
"Big" Hamvention on Saturday. We have a Vendors Night,
AND a "Show and Tell" Night, AND an Awards Dinner with a
Multiple Prize Raffle. Bring your wife, even if she isn't a ham...
She will be made to feel WELCOME!

;-)

73 and All the Best!
DE W8LV.

N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2018, 08:01:44 PM »

Have fun and play. Don't let the old geezers bother you. Hell, I am an old geezer with a young mind & those old geezers get on my nerves too.

Get a license upgrade & expand your activities. 2 meter & 70cm long haul SSB is a blast. 6 meters is fun and 6 meter aurora is a riot.

Many contacts on 160 to at times on 10 meters when it opens up even in the low sun spot cycle. I like the guys out there that are like myself. Perhaps we're geeks. That is technical type geeks, but I like geeks. Perhaps I am a geek.
KQ4MM

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2018, 06:47:51 AM »

What good is HF in a local emergency, which we are soon for sure going to experience? Just takes another cop to kill some thug criminal and all hell will breakout soon enough. The next election in itself is going to cause disaster. Every local net is fm. If my city is burning I doubt I wanna talk on hf to some other state/country.

Matt

Good advice from the others for sure, move on to better modes and bands ... that said, you sound a bit like a prepper ( not meant to be offensive as I too embrace some aspects of that mindset), "all hell will breakout soon enough" Do you seriously think hams are going to flock to the local 2M repeater when civil war breaks out to coordinate self defense? and if they did what good would it accomplish to coordinate with someone 15 miles away. In a worst case scenario I bet most repeaters would be silent in a civil war situation if even still operational.

For me 2M is only useful if you are part of the local click or have a interest in participating or listening skywarn

Back prior to cell it was useful for phone patch ( which I used many times in personal emergency situations, i.e.; phone in a accident, notify someone I was going to be late so as not to worry, etc...)

If you only got your license for 2M operations, then you have what you have, probably would have been better served by trying FRS with less hassle

Good luck in your adventure

73 KQ4MM

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2018, 11:51:08 AM »

What good is HF in a local emergency, which we are soon for sure going to experience? Just takes another cop to kill some thug criminal and all hell will breakout soon enough. The next election in itself is going to cause disaster. Every local net is fm. If my city is burning I doubt I wanna talk on hf to some other state/country.

Matt

Sounds like you would be better off investing in more food, weapons and ammunition.
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2018, 10:59:14 AM »

I am not sure why Matt has yet to share his "new" call? I find it a disturbing trend that new hams aren't proud enough of their accomplishment that they don't display their call instead they use some internet ID?
Does anyone else see this?
Bill, AA2UK
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2018, 11:39:25 AM »

Matt

I missed this Matt doesn't want to listen to a 70 year old's politics but he doesn't mind telling us his? We have an entire generation of snowflakes when I was young we called them something else.
Wow just wow, no call and a thread where he dumps his frustrations about his pathetic life. Grow up, grow a pair Matt...
He's probably stuck on one repeater cause the mag mount antenna on his 2 meter FM rig doesn't work well from his parents basement...
Bill, AA2UK
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2018, 06:07:44 AM »

Might be Matt is a little thin skinned.
  Everyone, including Hams, have their own opinions. Everyone deserves to be respected.
  Many new ops have some real mis-conceptions about amateur radio in general and the
  people involved. Many new hams get into this hobby for some different reasons than the scope
  of what amateur radio ever was all about initially.
  Bottom Line Is; Amateur Radio is not for everyone despite what the league publishe$.
  Dis-satisfied?  Move on then... there's other things for you to do.  Wink
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: