The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New ham loosing interest really fast.  (Read 134054 times)
MATTJ

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2015, 05:28:04 PM »

Net control guy here tonight, some 70 year old, said that anyone who does not have a dedicated radio for weather, along with other high dollar gear, does not deserve to be a Ham. I am sick of some of these a-holes on the airways who think they are better than everyone else because they have 50 trillion dollars invested in the hobby. So far it is mainly the old ones saying these crappy things, and on the airways at that. Does the FCC have a law on being a prick?

Matt
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 05:31:10 PM by MATTJ » Logged
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 07:27:11 PM »

Is your radio stuck on a net?  Seriously, why bother dealing with closed minds when we have so many bands and other opportunities... DXing, ragchewing, working CW,  public service, etc. ?  If the guy on this net bothers you, just move on to something better and more enjoyable.  Let misery enjoy its own company.

I like chasing DX CW contacts. That rocks my boat. I am an old fart. I also wouldn't want to listen to another old AH telling me what I need in my shack. Life is too short. HR is a good hobby.  I also enjoy restoring vintage radios, and I enjoy designing and building equipment, or modifying gear that I own. I am never bored. Right now I am trying to repair a TecTec Omni VI Plus that has several problems. If I am successful, it will become my main HF radio. If you are not having fun, and enjoying the hobby, I suggest it is time to rediscover some aspect that is fun, challenging, or at least gives you some positive vibes.

Pete
MATTJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 07:36:42 PM »

I have a 2 meter radio... I was on the weekly emergency net station. I have no choice. He was net controller so as usual everyone else will suck his *&** and ignore a newbie like me. I have no weight on him.

Matt
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 08:40:05 PM »

Matt

I have been involved with repeaters since the late 1960s.  Two meter FM was a fascinating mode..  it was cutting edge technology in those days!  By the late 1970s it became as common as any other mode.  I can assure you there is life beyond two meter FM!  Most of the hams that I knew back when FM as a new and exciting mode have passed on. 

Even though I am a repeater operator, I don't see any benefit to operating on FM in this day and age. If your license class is limiting your horizons, I would suggest you upgrade, and put FM nets behind you.  FM repeaters is a dying mode, with no future. It is a dead end, and ham radio has much more to offer.  Otherwise, grow a set, and tell that net control station to get lost. I would have no problem speaking my mind.

Pete
MATTJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 03:07:12 AM »

What good is HF in a local emergency, which we are soon for sure going to experience? Just takes another cop to kill some thug criminal and all hell will breakout soon enough. The next election in itself is going to cause disaster. Every local net is fm. If my city is burning I doubt I wanna talk on hf to some other state/country.

Matt
KC9YTJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 04:58:55 AM »

Never heard of NVIS?

I work a weekly 80 meter ARES net using Olivia and talk to guys as close as a few miles away.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 05:17:34 AM »

Not sure what kind of conversation you expect in a net, usually for people to  check in and leave. .... Made a couple contacts on repeaters my first day on the air, I have no interest in repeaters, 2 meter simplex works fine. I meet like minded people. .... Have you even made a contact on 52?
K5RT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 05:32:21 AM »

Matt, does this net have some sort of a "Manager"?
Does this net have any type of newsletter or web site?
Does this net provide any written guidelines for the NCS to follow?
Have you contacted the NCS by phone to talk about his remarks and their effect on you?

If you're not comfortable with talking to the NCS about the problem, what about an email to the Net Manager? If there is no Net Manager, what about an email to the station's who checked in that day?
Take the high road, address the action. Don't make it a personal issue (even though it may be). Address the problem by focusing on raising net awareness of procedures.
Doing this should result in people asking what happened and possibly one of the "Experienced" members of the group speaking to the idiot directly.

EMCOMM is important in our hobby, but don't let it be your only focus. There's too many other things to explore and have fun with.

Paul
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 07:57:56 AM »

It's unfortunate that a new Ham's exposure to the hobby is usually VHF due to the inexpensive simplicity of using a repeater with a HT. It's an interesting and attractive concept...

Unfortunately, the ARES/RACES clubs are not very active on the air unless there is a drill, net, or real disaster. Many of them are monitoring the repeater, but generally will not respond to someone throwing out a call sign. Especially if you are not someone that they have known for 25 years.
It sounds like your interest is in Emcom, so perhaps you should go to the local repeater club meeting and check out the landscape.
However, if VHF was representative of HAM radio, I would have sold the radios and got out a while a ago. As one poster mentioned, try NVIS if you want to keep it local, not that you can't talk local with a dipole...

Radio clubs always have a few guys who think their excrement doesn't stink like any other group of homo sapiens, so don't let them get to you. You don't have to dance to their tune because the hobby has all kinds of other things to offer.

SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 08:43:52 AM »

It's unfortunate that a new Ham's exposure to the hobby is usually VHF due to the inexpensive simplicity of using a repeater with a HT. It's an interesting and attractive concept...

It can be attractive, at first, but unless you're into small talk, after you see which repeaters you can hit, you're pretty much done.

I have not looked into EmComm much, so I'm not sure what role they would fill in an emergency, if any.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 10:54:30 AM »

It can be attractive, at first, but unless you're into small talk, after you see which repeaters you can hit, you're pretty much done.

I have not looked into EmComm much, so I'm not sure what role they would fill in an emergency, if any.

Emcom is not my thing either, but some guys are really into it. Skywarn is another aspect of it that I didn't mention. When we had the hurricanes, the repeaters were very busy with Hams giving reports of what the conditions were on various roads, etc, which I found to be very helpful.
The ARES net is hardly ever, if ever. actually used by the authorities,though, as far as know. They operate the net during local emergencies for their own use for the most part.
If you join ARES, you have to pledge your soul and allegiance to Homeland security and go to "mandatory" training so that was enough to turn  me off.  IMO, if I am going to be REQUIRED to go to government training/deployment, I might as well get a job as a first responder and PAID for it.

N7ZAL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 11:24:05 AM »

Get off 2 meters and try 6 or 10 for variety. Another new world there.  JMO

Later, Bill N7ZAL (ex. WA2DPB, WB3BOC, N2FWS)
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 08:04:42 PM »

I too would give MattJ advice to move to HF. 

However, it is obvious that he is a "prepper" who is deluded into expecting the end of civilization and domestic war.

He truly is NOT a genuine ham.  (and I have never said that about anyone before).

MattJ:  The most practical advice I can give you is find or start another net to hang out on.  (The old timer's view is skewed.) 

good luck.

KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA Relocated to Ks. April 2019.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 05:13:10 PM »

Matt, some guys are just jerks. Don't let them get under your skin. There are a lot of jerks that post here also. Someone will pipe up soon and say if we don't know code theme are not real hams etc. do what you are interested in. Ham radio is a large enough hobby, with enough different ways to enjoy it, there is room for all kinds.

KA4GFY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 05:31:44 PM »

Like some of the other posters have said, you really need to upgrade and move beyond 2 meter repeaters.  There is far more to ham radio than hanging out on the local repeaters.  With DSTAR, DMR, Echolink and IRLP, you can work the world through a repeater.  Look at one of those modes.

If your interest is in local emergency communications, try simplex as one other poster said. 

Try another repeater or another club.  No club can be all things to all people. 

I always tell people if they get bored in ham radio, they are not trying hard enough.  There are so many facets to the hobby I can't imagine running out of new things to try.   

Rich, KA4GFY

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: