The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New ham loosing interest really fast.  (Read 134030 times)
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2015, 11:29:40 AM »

My experience with one club that I joined was very similar, both on the air and off.  The President of the club was one that was periennially re-elected President or to some other officer position as were all of his friends.  At the club meetings the same old business was re-hashed and only the President's friends/fellow officers were ever permitted to do anything. Likewise, the only ideas and motions that were ever entertained or recognized by the President came from his friends.  

Michael KC8WUC/WDE9344

The problem with clubs is that become set in their ways... and all too often, there is a set clique who runs the organization. But, I will note, this is usually because none of the members are willing to get their hands dirty and step up to the plate. Running a club is a pain in the butt. I was involved with a repeater club for many, many years. I installed and built the first repeater in the Springfield, MA area, one of the best mountain locations when I was TV transmitter engineer in a major market. Four of five years later I formed a club to support the costs.  25 years later I bailed out because the group had become a social group, with little interest in supporting the repeater costs; and also by that time the novelty and interest in repeaters was dying off.

I now own an open private machine in the Holyoke area... but all of the old timers are now silent keys.  Two meters can be a lot of fun, but I have to opine that its time has come and gone. We've seen the seem peak and decline of packet radio. Nowadays I see the same folks trying to keep the local clubs going. FM repeater clubs are lagging behind general interest clubs. 30 years ago the opposite was true. The FM guys had over 300 members, and the general interest club was close to folding up. Today the situation is 180 degrees reversed. 

I'd also comment that there is nothing wrong with walking away from a hobby for a few years.  Sometimes it is a good idea to take a break and try something new. Ham radio has many facets, and it will be here for many years to come. You can't judge this hobby based on one band, or one mode. The opportunities are endless.

Pete
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2015, 12:07:21 PM »

It's the old 80/20 rule (probably 90/10 or 95/5 by now). 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2015, 02:38:33 PM »

My experience with one club that I joined was very similar, both on the air and off.  The President of the club was one that was periennially re-elected President or to some other officer position as were all of his friends.  At the club meetings the same old business was re-hashed and only the President's friends/fellow officers were ever permitted to do anything. Likewise, the only ideas and motions that were ever entertained or recognized by the President came from his friends.  

Michael KC8WUC/WDE9344

The problem with clubs is that become set in their ways... and all too often, there is a set clique who runs the organization. But, I will note, this is usually because none of the members are willing to get their hands dirty and step up to the plate. Running a club is a pain in the butt. I was involved with a repeater club for many, many years. I installed and built the first repeater in the Springfield, MA area, one of the best mountain locations when I was TV transmitter engineer in a major market. Four of five years later I formed a club to support the costs.  25 years later I bailed out because the group had become a social group, with little interest in supporting the repeater costs; and also by that time the novelty and interest in repeaters was dying off.

I now own an open private machine in the Holyoke area... but all of the old timers are now silent keys.  Two meters can be a lot of fun, but I have to opine that its time has come and gone. We've seen the seem peak and decline of packet radio. Nowadays I see the same folks trying to keep the local clubs going. FM repeater clubs are lagging behind general interest clubs. 30 years ago the opposite was true. The FM guys had over 300 members, and the general interest club was close to folding up. Today the situation is 180 degrees reversed. 

I'd also comment that there is nothing wrong with walking away from a hobby for a few years.  Sometimes it is a good idea to take a break and try something new. Ham radio has many facets, and it will be here for many years to come. You can't judge this hobby based on one band, or one mode. The opportunities are endless.

Pete

Well said.
One of the other FM repeater club impediments ( for me, st least) is the requirement that the EMcomm people have to pledge allegiance to homeland security. I don't mind learning how to help others, etc, but it bugs me that I have to sign on the dotted line. Too much big gov't involved with the funding for the toys, I guess. Gotta pay to play...
There is rarely anyone on 2m/70cm that will answer a call. I'm thinking of taking the rigs out of my vehicles. On the other hand. I can always reach out and find someone on HF.
The emcomm guys seem to talk only  when there is an activation/net or if they have known you for more than 20 years. It's a different mindset.

KF7VXA

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2015, 04:24:19 PM »

Maybe clubs should be looking at addressing all of the hobby of Amateur radio except Ares/Races and separate the Ares/Races component of Amateur Radio into a separate group.
And who says Ares/Races is only concerned with VHF/UHF. All modes of communication should be incorporated and practiced in any emergency radio group. If your not working community events, you are not just losing good will with the community, but you're missing out on putting what you study into practice.

We started a Radio Amateur Club and also have a Ares group. We don't discuss Ares business at the club meetings or club business at Ares meetings. The Ares meeting starts 45 minutes before the club meeting starts.

People are free to belong to one or the other or both.

This has kept everyone happy.

A second idea. If your club is stagnant or run by one group that has very different ideas than another group, start a new club.
You might be surprised at how many would join a fresh group if their likes and concerns were addressed.

The other problem I see is that too many long established groups are doing little to bring younger members into their club.
Without new blood and ideas, Ham radio operators are going to go the way of WWII vets. A group of great people passing away in great numbers from old age. Being to set in ones ways can go a long way to making new Hams fell they are not welcome.

At times, we can be our own worst enemy.

Just something to think about, John
K7NSW

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2015, 08:45:20 AM »

I hope Matt moves on to something other than 2 meter FM and experiences many of the joys ham radio offers. I ALSO hope he will leave his "potty mouth" behind. The last thing we need is more profanity on the hf bands or anywhere else. If he cannot divorce himself from it, then he can always find kindred spirits on channel 19. Those folks really do "speak the language".
WD8T

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2015, 12:12:05 PM »

Like others have said....your wasting time with someone as the OP described running the net.   I really hate to believe that new younger hams, or any age, coming into the hobby think all the older hams are "pricks" as he said.  Frankly the guy running the net was probably that way when he was young.    I was 27 years old when I got my Novice ticket and now I'm not.  Smiley
KI4OYV

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2015, 05:59:33 AM »

Matt is correct to a point. I've been a ham for going on 10 years. I came from an area where there were "too" many net (if possible)and traffic 24/7 on all bands, to an area where there is little traffic at all. When I became a Tech, I was told that General is usually the "accepted" ticket in most clubs. I became a General 3 years ago and  I also took the VE test and passed, now the club I was with  here, said that in order to do anything, I;d need Extra. Nets are run buy by those who love to go on about the old days and how things were done then. To Matt I say, look around for another net if possible. For the rest of the newbies "Don't Give Up!" It is very frustrating fro sure, but there is always somewhere to "hang your mic" Grin
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 06:01:46 AM by KI4OYV » Logged
NW0LF

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2015, 11:08:39 AM »

I am an older Ham-approaching 60 and have been licensed for 16 years.  Most of the members of our club are over that, notice I say most.  Our V.P. is 25 and she does an excellent job.  We work hard to welcome everyone that walks in the door, the younger the better.  We have a schoolhouse project where we have brought ham radio to a couple of charter schools in the area.  We have "Hambone College" classes to help new people get licensed or get hams upgraded and I run an Elmers and newbies net every Sunday night.  Our nets don't exclude anyone and if you call on our repeater, if I am home, I will answer and chat with you.  There is a separate ARES group in the area but they are dying a slow death.  Ham radio is what you make it, and we all believe that as a hobby should be fun, and ham radio is a hobby, then you should be having fun and we make it as fun as possible.  KI4OYV, I will tell you, as a VE for 15 years and a VE Liaison for over 4, I would prefer you being an Extra as sometimes it is hard to get 3 VEs together for our monthly testing sessions during the summer.  I tell anyone who approaches me to be a VE to please go for their Extra as I can put them to better use.  I do have 1 General VE but she does the reading for the blind who want to become hams.  Please take no offense.  Outside of that, our club doesn't care what license you hold, how long you have been a ham, or how old you are.  We just care that you enjoy the hobby, want to have fun and want to hang out with us.

"Wolfie", NW0LF

p.s. It is not the class of license the ham holds but the class of the ham that holds the license.
AI7PM

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2015, 01:36:05 PM »

Maybe clubs should be looking at addressing all of the hobby of Amateur radio except Ares/Races and separate the Ares/Races component of Amateur Radio into a separate group.
We started a Radio Amateur Club and also have a Ares group. We don't discuss Ares business at the club meetings or club business at Ares meetings. The Ares meeting starts 45 minutes before the club meeting starts.

People are free to belong to one or the other or both.

This has kept everyone happy.

At times, we can be our own worst enemy.

Just something to think about, John

Excellent post!

ARES/RACES were never meant to be "clubs". I watched a club take possesion of ARES, only to destroy it, re-brand as AREC, and even try to sell the EMA the impression they were RACES.

ARES was reformed successfully, and now I see members in a second club displaying the same possessive behaviors.

Fortunately we have a strong EC/DEC who has worked to bring all interested operators to the table, regardless of club affiliation (or lack thereof), and a rock solid relationship with the EMA. Weekly nets rotate through the repeaters of both local clubs, which has given a much clearer picture of what coverages everyone has.

There's so much more to the hobby than just EMCOM, but it seems to get much of the attention, and unfortunately, brings out the Colonel Flagg in many people.

$0.02
AI7PM

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2015, 01:40:48 PM »

Well said.
One of the other FM repeater club impediments ( for me, st least) is the requirement that the EMcomm people have to pledge allegiance to homeland security. I don't mind learning how to help others, etc, but it bugs me that I have to sign on the dotted line. Too much big gov't involved with the funding for the toys,

Pledge allegiance to HS?  Government funding the toys?

I'm curious. Please expound on those two items.

I haven't had to pledge allegiance to anyone or any agency, and nobdy but me has funded my equipment. I'm in ARES, and belong to the County EOC comm team.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2015, 01:59:57 PM »

Well said.
One of the other FM repeater club impediments ( for me, st least) is the requirement that the EMcomm people have to pledge allegiance to homeland security. I don't mind learning how to help others, etc, but it bugs me that I have to sign on the dotted line. Too much big gov't involved with the funding for the toys,

Pledge allegiance to HS?  Government funding the toys?

I'm curious. Please expound on those two items.

I haven't had to pledge allegiance to anyone or any agency, and nobdy but me has funded my equipment. I'm in ARES, and belong to the County EOC comm team.

Did you read the paperwork that you signed?
I was handed a "sign-up" form that had all of that homeland security gibberish in it and was told that I had to agree to be a member. I said no thanks...
Don't you have to go to training seminars. etc? I understand that it is "mandatory". These guys go to periodic training
They also get govt grants for equipment ( portables and base)they have access to at the EOC as well an operating position there. Maybe your state/county is different? I don't know how it all works because I'm not a member, but know folks who are members and they tell me things.

N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2015, 09:57:54 AM »

What "paperwork"?
The only thing you do to "join ARES", is fill out an FSD-98 and turn it in to your county EC.
There is no "pledging of allegiance" to homeland security involved.
There is some training involved before you can actually be useful, though.
Mainly that involves taking FEMA's online IS-100, 200, 700, and 800.
But there isn't any "pledging of allegiance to homeland security" there either.

I'm really not sure what you're referring to.

73 de N8AUC
Eric
District EC in Ohio

N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2015, 10:17:28 AM »

And regarding "training seminars"? These are put on by whom?

We have a statewide conference once a year.
The room is usually full, but certainly not everyone attends.

In our district, we try to do a district level conference once a year.

We also try to hold monthly meetings within each county.
Those are supposed to be conducted by each county EC. Not every county does that though.
Part of the format of the meeting is to have a training topic at each one.
It ranges from how to handle formal written traffic, to antennas, or maybe emergency power sources.
Although attendance at meetings is a good idea, and encouraged, they certainly aren't mandatory.

Are you sure this is an ARES group?

73 de N8AUC
Eric
District EC in Ohio

AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2015, 10:49:20 AM »

And regarding "training seminars"? These are put on by whom?

We have a statewide conference once a year.
The room is usually full, but certainly not everyone attends.

In our district, we try to do a district level conference once a year.

We also try to hold monthly meetings within each county.
Those are supposed to be conducted by each county EC. Not every county does that though.
Part of the format of the meeting is to have a training topic at each one.
It ranges from how to handle formal written traffic, to antennas, or maybe emergency power sources.
Although attendance at meetings is a good idea, and encouraged, they certainly aren't mandatory.

Are you sure this is an ARES group?

73 de N8AUC
Eric
District EC in Ohio

here is a ENY site, not the guys I know, but there is a very formal process.
http://www.hudson.arrl.org/eny/ares.htm
If you dig into the ARRL description a bit it says that one of the agencies that ARES may work with is, indeed, Homeland Security.
The form I was handed talked about background checks and approval by HS. i also spoke of being subject 'deployment". If I want to get deployed by a government agency, I'd rather join that organization and GET PAID for it.  Helping is one thing, deployment is another...

Maybe they have all of these stipulations due to the funding they receive, I don't know. You apparently don't have the same setup out there.
They also do "nuke drills" here. I understand that they are rather unique in that regard.

VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2015, 05:46:47 AM »

Net control guy here tonight, some 70 year old, said that anyone who does not have a dedicated radio for weather, along with other high dollar gear, does not deserve to be a Ham. I am sick of some of these a-holes on the airways who think they are better than everyone else because they have 50 trillion dollars invested in the hobby. So far it is mainly the old ones saying these crappy things, and on the airways at that. Does the FCC have a law on being a prick?

Matt
I probably agree with you but I am already 65. Forget the nets. Build! Then you will enjoy the hobby. I don't play well with others. Why I don't really understand but I don't. I do really enjoy though exploring early builds,(AWA stuff) vintage Military rigs and the occasional QSO. XYL says I have zero tolerance for stupidity. I don't really know. I know I don't give a rats tail about what someone else does as far as "I should do likewise" although I am always listening for good ideas. Chart your own path. Avoid those who bug you. Remember the phrase from Gone with the Wind. "Frankly Scarlet- --- ---- - ----." ;>)
don
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: