The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tarheel Model 100 screwdriver mods  (Read 5740 times)
KA4NMA

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2015, 04:20:04 PM »

Has anybody used the Model 100 screwdriver on 160m or 6m? How?

Randy ka4nma
M0GVZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 03:22:23 AM »

Shorter whip for 6m no longer than 1.5m long. Longer whip and/or capacity hat for top band. Either that or get some wire with an eyelet on one end that'll take a 3/8th bolt, throw it up in a tree and attach to the Tarheel. You're not going to find a real usable option for using top band whilst driving with it.
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 04:26:38 PM »

Personally I would forget about using the Tarheel on 6 metres, you would be far better using a halo.
Problems are the Tarheel will give a high angle of radiation and will be vertically polarized.
O.K. on Sporadic E, polarity is not relevant but on tropo / direct wave, polarity is crucial just the same as 2 metres. Remember most transmissions are SSB transmitted horizontally

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 10:35:30 AM »

Well said Tony.

I've been using a 6 meter halo for about 10 years. While it isn't as high as I would like it (I garage my vehicle), most of the time it was 20+ dB stronger than the 1/4 wave vertical. That is why I got rid of the vertical!

The amazing part is, you'd think the magic band was closed, but switch to the loop, and hear all sorts of stations.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: