The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RigBlaster Pro Compared To SignaLink USB  (Read 24845 times)
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2007, 08:21:37 PM »

I've had mine on order for a month now.  I really wish it would show, but I guess I can wait a few more weeks if needed.  I like the cost ratio compared to West Mountain Radio and I'm just not in a big hurry I guess.

plus I want full USB support since the 232 ports are going the way of the 8" and 5.25" floppy disc.
K4SC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 09:14:47 AM »

You forgot the 3.5" floppy disc!  For that matter you could say removeable magnetic media in general.

It is worth the wait.  I've been enjoying my SignaLink USB since early March and am amazed at how bulletproof it seems to be.
WR8D

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 10:37:04 AM »

I bought the rigblaster pro when it first came out and have loved it everyday since. It did'nt take me over thirty minutes to get it hooked up and running so i honestly can't understand some of the comments here about documentation and all that. I may take a look at this new interface just out of curiousity but the pro in my opinion is top shelf, as is their people you talk with on the phone when you order one of these babies.  

When i first started playing with the "fuzzy" modes i had all kinds of questions about this mode or that one and they even took the time to answer these questions for me. I've owned the rigblaster now for a few years and never had any problems at all. Two things will never leave this shack. The alpha's and the rigblaster pro. There's is honestly nothing at all to the setup either and as the manual says i was in operation in under thirty minutes.

My two cents: John WR8D
KE6YX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 06:28:09 PM »

I have had my SignaLink USB for awhile now, and hsve used it with A Kenwood TS130S, Ten Tec Corsair II, and it is now working with my new ICOM 746PRO. It has been wonderful to be able to operate PSK-31, or SSTV and then use my computer to rip and play CDs without having to mess with the sound card settings.

I tried it the old way about 3 years ago, and gave it up because I did not like having to reset the computer's internal sound card.

If I could, I would rate it much higher than a 5!

I too waited for delivery, and it was worth it.

Regards,

KE6YX

K1UHF

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 12:29:34 PM »

Hello all,  I am the primary designer of the RIGblasters so I am biased.

We threw out the idea of a sound card interface with USB audio chip becuase of serveral reasons.  First we think a RIGblaster should be compatible with all ham radio sound card software and they should leave your comptuter and your radio fully functional as before.

Since the majority of the sound card programs have no provision to select the Windows audio device,than means you have to disable the primary computer sound device in order to use all these programs.

You should also should be aware that every, without exception, program is designed to control PTT via the software serial port communication.  It is much cheaper to use a vox circuit but we would never do that as we do not want to be blamed for illegal transmissions of "You have mail" or some Microsft Music.

I could go on.
Del, K1UHF
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 01:19:53 PM »

Many of the newer digital programs do permit you to select the sound card (MixW2 for example). This actually makes the VOX PTT circuit fine because the Signalink-USB never receives the normal Windows sounds. I find it quite nice to have my digital software automatically routed to the Signalink and radio and yet be able to use the computer speakers in the normal manner for non-radio uses. No cables to unplug and no switches to select. In addition, I don't tie up a serial port to use one control pin for PTT and I don't have the issue of the radio keying up momentarily when the computer boots up.

Another plus is that I don't have to worry about the quality of the sound card in the computer or its frequency calibration because it is not used for digital modes. There have been issues with some of the sound card chip sets that are now located on the motherboard.

I'm perfectly happy with the Signalink-USB. It was worth the wait.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
W4ZDI

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 03:47:14 AM »

I think you have misstated some facts.

1.  The Rigblaster USES the existing computer sound card, therefore disabling any other secondary use of the computer soundsystem.

2.  The Signalink does NOT disable the computer sound card.  It establishes a second path for the Signalink, thereby leaving the computer sound card free for other secondary use.

The most important feature of the Signalink to me is having the audio drive control up front so that it's adjustable when shifting from the low to high end of the  band, thereby allowing compensation for the uneven internal audio response of my TX.  

The Rigblaster has a micro-sized potentiometer imbeded inside the potting of the assembly, establishing a one-time adjust of the Rigblaster and requiring further adjustments to be made through the Windows Sound Card software.

This lack of audio control is the reason for my trying  to return the unit for credit.  Unfortunately, I got The Grouchy Old Man on the phone, and after being dressed down by him for daring to not want his wonderful equipment, I decided to use it as a paperweight instead, which reminds me to never do business with them in the future.
W4ZDI

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 03:53:07 AM »

AA4PB:

Sorry, my post below yours was directed to K1UHF, the designer of the Rigblaster, not in response to your post.  Have to learn to copy and paste...

Pierce
W4ZDI
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 10:29:18 AM »

I initially got a Rigblaster Pro and could never get it to work with my FT100D.  I messed with that unit for a YEAR!  I know tech support must be a difficult job but I did get some serious attitude out of West Mountain.  Their attitude seemed to be - you're a ham.  Figure it out on your own.  I never could get audio into the modular mic jack in the front of the radio.

West Mountain makes some good stuff but I cannot recommend their tech support.

Went to a SignaLink USB and the DATA jack in the back and it was a snap.  As the previous poster noted the TX pot on the front is extremely handy in setting levels.
N4CDB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 12:27:03 PM »

The Grouchy Old Man. :-D Had to laugh at that one. I talked to him a few weeks ago and he made the decision easy for me to buy a SignaLink instead. I have the Plug & Pray, not the Pro but now it's just a paperweight as well.

Del, I met you a while back (you were working on the design of the Duo at the time). I enjoyed meeting you guys but The Grouchy Old Man isn't doing anything for you when he treats customers like crap. I was so pissed I wrote a letter to Dan but never hit the send button. Didn't want to make waves for my brother so I just kept quiet. Now I see I'm not the only one that's had the "pleasure" of talking to him.

I'll probably never buy another WMR product again based on this most recent support call. I really wish I would've gotten Ned instead.

I have to say I'm quite pleased with the SL and haven't had a single problem with it. Also, if Tigertronics is still having a 6-8 week backlog go to DX Engineering. They have them in stock and I had mine in 2 days.
KI4VBR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2009, 02:13:58 PM »

Interesting....I started this post about 2 years ago...and come to think of it, I had the grump on the phone for tech support too!  What a bad impression it left me with. I guess I was a fool to stay on the phone as long as I did and allow him to talk down to me.

V
W4AGA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2009, 03:45:11 PM »

I ordered my SignaLinkUSB Wednesday, got it by UPS Friday, took 30 minutes to read the instructions and set the jumpers, by Friday night I was up using MixW on my HP Pavilion laptop with my IC-7000 base and my IC-706MkIIg mobile and APRS / AirMail on my Kenwood TM-D700 mobile (they use the same cable).

If there is a better result than that I don't know of it!
W4AGA

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2009, 03:50:54 PM »

I forgot to add to my previous post... my buddy KJ4KZT got his RigBlaster in on Tuesday, it's now Saturday, he's yet to get it to transmit on any of his radios except an old RadioShack HT, and it took days, special cables and a call to support to make that happen.

Yeah, based on just that anecdotal evidence I am thrilled that I chose the SignaLinkUSB!
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2009, 05:39:30 PM »

SIGNALINK USB is as SIMPLE as it gets.Ordered mine from HRO just last week & it arrived the NEXT day from Atlanta.EASY operation with my ICOM 756 PROII & works as well with my ICOM 746 PRO using the same cable should I need it!Using the SIGNALINK USB with HRD DM780 V5.0.Save your money & buy the BEST "NO MATTER WHAT THE PRICE! }:>)

Clayton
W4KVW
K5MBV

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 01:03:44 PM »

The SignaLink has its own soundcard which is just OK.
The RigBlaster uses your PC soundcard that might be
bad, OK, good, or excellent, so the differences in them
will vary according to your own PC soundcard quality.

Supposedly it doesn't matter how good the soundcard
is for Ham interface since there is very little
strain on the card.  WRONG! The input and output
sample rates drift more with low quality cards. Stability
is one parameter that determines how well the signal is
decoded. Even some of the SignaLink soundcards
drift more than others.

Ken  K5MBV
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: