The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DSP-232 --- help!!  (Read 3234 times)
W4QG

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2009, 09:10:17 AM »

Hello All,

I recently acquired a DSP-232 and am having difficulties connecting to it. Device powers up, but that is about it.   I don't have the manual and apparently it is not available anywhere. Does anyone know the standard com port settings? Is there a reset command I can do to clear memory? I haven't opened it up yet, I'd assume there is a backup battery in there, so removing that should reset the device to the factory configuration. - unless it has an EEPROM --  doubt that...  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks and 73, Paul W4QG
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 10:32:24 AM »

Here is a little info on the DSP-232:
From W0IPL's website:
"DSP-232
General information
This was an attempt to roll all of the goodies in a PK-232 plus DSP plus Mailbox and PACTOR into one box. Early versions are strewn with firmware bugs including not having the PACTOR or MailBox work. The latest levels (2003) are still loaded with bugs.

This would be a great TNC for someone that doesn't need Gateway IF they would fix the firmware bugs!

The replacement for this TNC is the current PK-232 MBX PSK DSP model at over $500."

You might also look at www.timewave.com. They bought AEA's TNC division.

As far as commands, it probably is similar to most of there other TNCs.

After a hard reset, a "Shift-8" (*) will initialize it.
MYC callsign (such as MYC K9XXX) will put your cal in it.
DIGI ON will turn on the digi.
MYA 6 charater something (such as MYA PODUNK) will set the alias.
etc.

If you can get it to initialize, you might try sending a "DISP Z" to get a list of all it's commands.

You can download some of the manuals for other AEA TNCs from http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/. Look for AEA, and it will take you to the info page there. (They don't have one for the DSP-232.

Good luck.
de NA4IT
W5RKL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 10:20:12 AM »

If you turn the DSP-232 over with the front panel facing you and there is a small hole on the bottom right, look in the hole and, if present, pull the jumper seen in the hole. Wait a minute then connect the DSP-232 to the computer, run your favorite simple terminal software (Windows hyper term or tera-term) then power up the DSP-232. You should see the default boot message displayed across your terminal.

This is how one gets into a PK-232 or PK-232MBX box when the speed is not know.

If this works for you then once you have configured the DSP-232 simply install the jumper. If the jumper is left OFF, every time you turn the DSP-232 OFF it will forget what you set it to. I have a PK-232MBX that has the "original" battery inside and it maintains the settings as long as the jumper is in place.

Just an idea.

73's
Mike W5RKL
W4QG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 11:17:43 AM »

Thanks Mike, I will give it a try this evening! 73, Paul
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 06:34:45 PM »

There is an update from Timewave called the DSP-232 plus. The web info that was pasted here is a few years out of date.

Lots of fixes in the firmware and of course, my ROC software works as well as any sofware for the DSP-232.

Rick
W4PC

http://www.cssincorp.com
W5RKL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 01:06:41 PM »

Paul,

Have you tried the suggestions? If so, what did you find?

73's
Mike W5RKL
W4QG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 02:27:49 PM »

YES! I just got it. Simple matter of holding reset in while powering it up. No problem! Thanks to everyone for the help! 73, Paul W4QG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: