The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone used the W7RY QSK board?  (Read 24957 times)
AK6RF

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2017, 12:57:33 AM »

I have used several W7RY boards in different amp rebuilds (mostly SB220) and have been very happy with them. Although the documentation is not perfect I didn't have any trouble figuring things out. Also, I just noticed he is now selling a new RF input relay and a board to go with it. Sounds like it took him awhile to find a suitable unit after the supply for the original one dried up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/W7RY-QSK-Input-RF-Relay-and-Circuit-Board-Mounting-/282276832140?hash=item41b902a38c:g:0y0AAOSwvUlWqsW4
Search ebay for 'W7RY QSK Input RF Relay' if the link doesn't work.

Matt, AK6RF
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2017, 05:36:48 PM »

I found it easy to understand. YMMV.

Youve been saying that since 2015 on this thread.

If you don't go nutz with HV filter capacitor capacitance and step up to better HV rectifiers above, a step-start circuit is mostly pointless. 270uF/450V CDE #381LR271M450A032 capacitors cost about $6 each.

The step start is to save the unobtainium On-Off switch and the filament transformer limits the inrush current to the tubes.
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2017, 05:53:36 PM »

I found it easy to understand. YMMV.
Youve been saying that since 2015 on this thread.
Good observation.
If you don't go nutz with HV filter capacitor capacitance and step up to better HV rectifiers above, a step-start circuit is mostly pointless. 270uF/450V CDE #381LR271M450A032 capacitors cost about $6 each.
The step start is to save the unobtainium On-Off switch and the filament transformer limits the inrush current to the tubes.
And, as I (and you and many others) have stated, if one doesn't go nutz with HV filter capacitor capacitance, a step-start isn't needed. However, other things I've mentioned (that you didn't quote) should be upgraded.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2017, 07:11:17 PM »

And, as I (and you and many others) have stated, if one doesn't go nutz with HV filter capacitor capacitance, a step-start isn't needed. However, other things I've mentioned (that you didn't quote) should be upgraded.

And why should I as this is not a SB220 thread?

If you want those other answers find the "Care And Feeding of the SB-220" paper I wrote in the 90's and updated at least once. It may be on one of the old PC's I dont use any longer so save me the time to go thru a bunch of hard drives Grin
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2017, 08:14:06 PM »

If you want those other answers ... [snip]
That incorrectly presumes I'm here for (or need/want) answers.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2017, 06:28:43 PM »

Nope, that correctly presumes that you are incapable of a debate without running away, so you just toss out little annoyance comments of zero useable content.
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2017, 07:26:15 PM »

Nope, that correctly presumes that you are incapable of a debate without running away, so you just toss out little annoyance comments of zero useable content.
You have that bassackwards.
Thanks for your opinion...
...and have a nice day. Wink
W7RY

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2017, 06:57:30 AM »

Out of curiosity, is this W7RY board that much better than the MFJ QSK board? I have the MFJ one in my AL80B and it works fine. It's certainly not $20 though. but it was easy enough to implement in the amp and I understand it's good up to 1KW with decent SWR.  Is it just a matter of price or PO? No vacuum relays either. It also makes the AL80B much quieter, no relay clacking except when you press the OPR and that's just once a session.

Maybe I'm missing something here or out of the loop?

My board uses relays. The MFJ board you are speaking of uses PIN diodes. HUGE difference.
N4ZAW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2017, 12:13:50 PM »

Out of curiosity, is this W7RY board that much better than the MFJ QSK board? I have the MFJ one in my AL80B and it works fine. It's certainly not $20 though. but it was easy enough to implement in the amp and I understand it's good up to 1KW with decent SWR.  Is it just a matter of price or PO? No vacuum relays either. It also makes the AL80B much quieter, no relay clacking except when you press the OPR and that's just once a session.

Maybe I'm missing something here or out of the loop?

My board uses relays. The MFJ board you are speaking of uses PIN diodes. HUGE difference.
Yeah, "certainly not $20", David. But pin-diode switching approach Jim referred to is another drawback IMHO (Hey, Jim. Hoping all is well with you). RF sometimes does funny things to ultra-fast-switching diodes, and it seems, the higher the input power, the quicker they fail on my personal 'run-ins' with the component. They werk, sure. but for how long, is the crap-shoot with loaded dice here. Just eyeballing the QSK5 at $400, I'd be afraid to trust it at 100W input.Maybe 50W, but not much more than that (again, just my opinion, and I may be wrong). I admit to not knowing very much about the QSK5, other than price -- oy! Shocked
But none of that does very much to remedy relay contact closing sequence, or speed (QSK), of the internal relay within the amp.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 12:20:51 PM by N4ZAW » Logged
WQ6N

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2017, 06:45:41 AM »

Is the bias adjustable?  Also what was the total end cost for everything including relays and other parts? 

Are you keeping extra relays on hand in case of a failure? 

John,

The bias is adjustable via the number of diodes you install on the board.

Gigavac is selling their GH1 vacuum relays for $77.00.  You have to email them with your amateur call sign and I think they have a limit of three per year or something; this is an amateur only price.  Jim, W7RY, suggests MaxGain systems for the vac relay.  I have had good luck with them in the past but I would try a new relay of current production if I were going to do it.  Jim is also out of the reed relay, so you would have to source that part for yourself.

I have not purchased or used the W7RY QSK board but have researched it a little.  I would guess the rest of the parts to fill the board would be $20 or so.  I would guess that you are looking around $200 for the completed parts list.

Doug - N9XTF

According to the Gigavac site, the Ham Vacuum Relay program has been discontinued as of Dec 2016. Going with the Greenstone VHC-1 from Max-Gains.
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2017, 10:36:09 AM »

According to the Gigavac site, the Ham Vacuum Relay program has been discontinued as of Dec 2016. Going with the Greenstone VHC-1 from Max-Gains.
RF Parts lists the VHC-1 (new) as well: https://www.rfparts.com/relays/relays-vacuum/relays-vacuum-taylor/vhc1-26-5v.html
WQ6N

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2017, 05:59:27 AM »

W7RY QSK Parts Estimated Total Cost:

$18.00 - W7RY Ameritron AL-82 AL-1200 AL-1500 SB-1000 AL-80 QSK Board Linear Amplifier
$ 3.95 - Shipping
$14.95 W7RY QSK Input RF Relay and Circuit Board Mounting
$ 3.95 – Shipping
------------------
$40.85 sub total

$18.27 Mouser parts minus the backordered 858-64WR10KLF Trimmer Resistors and 240 ohm resister
$ 7.99 Shipping (did not allow lower residence rate)
$ 1.99 Shipping of backordered items
$ 1.51 8.25% Estimated Tax
-------------------
$29.76 sub total

$79.95 VHC-1 (26.5 VDC) ceramic vacuum relay, SPDT contacts 79.95 USD
$ 2.00 Packing
$26.60 Shipping via USPS Priority Small Flat Rate
---------------------
$108.45 sub total

$20.00 Estimated cost on 24VAC Transformer
$20.00 Estimated wiring, solder (silver) and miscellaneous
--------------------
$40.00 sub total

$219.06 Estimated Total cost (Not counting your time or fuel)
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2017, 08:32:39 AM »

W7RY QSK Parts Estimated Total Cost:
[yuuuge snip]
$219.06 Estimated Total cost (Not counting your time or fuel)
That was YOUR cost... ONE time. Mine was about $100 less. Compare that to a PIN diode setup, such as the Ameritron QSK-5 (link): $299.95 (not counting shipping, your time, or beer). Keep in mind that, unlike a relay, it's picky about VSWR and frequency.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: