The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Staying on topic...  (Read 30992 times)
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 09:49:11 AM »

Hate to say it, but there are a small percentage of folks out there that like to "fish" with a comment or remark that has nothing to do with the posted topic.  Many are disgruntled, unhappy folks, miserable in their boring lives and find entertainment spewing hate speech or slamming others on various forums.  Eventually, they get banned off one website or another, only to re-appear later.  Funny, if you go to their favorite hang out website that allows their idiotic remarks, they bad mouth the one(s) they get kicked off of, and yet, once the ban period of time is over, return to post yet again.  What a waste.  Have no idea why these unhappy folks are even in the hobby to begin with.  They find fault with everyone, everything, and only they are correct. 

These are the types I see attempting to take topics off track and the best way to deal with them, is the IGNORE function or, if not, just ignore their stupidity and continue and track.  They eventually move on to something else or someone else and repeat the process.  Life is too short for that BS.  Enjoy the hobby, enjoy discussions, but if you can't be nice, appropriate, etc. please do, take it somewhere else...not wanted here...
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 09:50:33 AM »

Forums can self-mod. As users put other users on ignore a database can be built of the users that are being placed on ignore and how many are ignoring them. Users that want to avoid the trolls can then choose a setting like "I want to see all posts except for the top nn% of those in the ignore database". New users would start out not seeing the worst offenders. I'm convinced that the number of users and posts would go up way more than the posts lost from the trolls. I suggested this on an unrelated forum several times over the years and eventually I got a reply from the site operator of "what is that again?" I don't think it's that difficult. 1)keep a database of users that are ignored by other users 2)record the ignored user's handle and the number of other users that have put him on ignore 3)sort the database by the number of ignores the trolls have collected. 4)allow all users to have a setting that generates their ignore list from a percentage of users at the top of the sorted database.

To keep trolls from manipulating the database take measures to keep them from having multiple logins, make a new user have an account for a period of time before he can add ignores to the database, etc.

I personally keep a listing of calls to avoid and it keeps me from responding or even acknowledging them and/or their childish behavior.  The IGNORE function is a great, great tool for that also.  I agree 100% with the posted comment.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: