The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Bucket list" HF amplifier?  (Read 17610 times)
KK5DR

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2015, 06:45:22 PM »

What is you "Bucket list" HF amplifier?
Do you already own it?
Is it still a wish list thing?
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 06:53:03 PM »

Not one but six: 3-1000Z monobanders.

I don't have to own them myself because a nice guy up the road lets me use his every so often :-)
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 08:56:43 PM »

Any amplifier capable of 10kw.  No I don't own one.  I often dream of breaking the biggest pileups with one call Grin

Jonathan W6GX
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 09:10:12 PM »

I already own it!  I have no idea why......but my homebrew 30 year old amp using the original pair of 3-500Z tubes plus my TH7DX antenna on  a 50ft tower does the job!

GX said, "I often dream of breaking the biggest pileups with one call Grin." With this combination, I do just this! 

I broke two pileups this evening, each with one call and received signal reports as high or higher than the rest.  Even after 30 years this blows me away!

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 10:50:55 PM »

Hopefully next year I will build my BL Special.

3cx3000F7 monoband for 20 mtrs.  Vacuum relay switching, not for what passes as qsk but just a good solid amp for CW fast semi break in.

I hope to get a separate RX antenna up the top paddock, so that will have about 500 mtrs of separation, so that should give me real qsk.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 11:00:32 PM »

I hope to get a separate RX antenna up the top paddock, so that will have about 500 mtrs of separation, so that should give me real qsk.

That requires extremely good shielding and filtering of the tx, the tx feeders and the rx feeder - the local field strength can be enough to cause trouble. The other point to watch is how much power comes back to the rx - there can be enough to cause damage. Remember that a ham rx doesn't have the old marine radio ratings of 30volts emf for 15 minutes without damage!

Start by connecting a well shielded dummy load to the rx and see how much tx signal you pick up....
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 11:31:03 PM »

Oh I don't know.. maybe an Alpha 9500? But first I would want to get a very large tower and beam up... currently just running an SB-200 (when needed) and a dipole up 60ish feet.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 09:01:36 AM »

This reminds me of the old (pre-Alpha) ETO ads where there were a bunch of amps in the back room working
in perfect harmony each feeding its own monoband long boom antenna on a 200 foot stick.
Art
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 12:29:10 PM »

That requires extremely good shielding and filtering of the tx, the tx feeders and the rx feeder - the local field strength can be enough to cause trouble. The other point to watch is how much power comes back to the rx - there can be enough to cause damage. Remember that a ham rx doesn't have the old marine radio ratings of 30volts emf for 15 minutes without damage!

Start by connecting a well shielded dummy load to the rx and see how much tx signal you pick up....

Yes your right there Peter, will probably use either my 75A4 or the R4C as the QSK receiver. 

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
W5TD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 01:57:14 PM »

Yaesu FTDX9000MP
W7MMQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 02:38:15 PM »

I like when someone posts what would be your favorite amp and the responses are all amps that go WELL over 1500 watts lol. 
For me it's an amp with a rugged tube and beefy power supply.  I owned own once.  A Henry 3K Premier.  Sold it 2 years ago and
wish I had it back
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 04:55:18 PM »

I like when someone posts what would be your favorite amp and the responses are all amps that go WELL over 1500 watts lol. 
For me it's an amp with a rugged tube and beefy power supply.  I owned own once.  A Henry 3K Premier.  Sold it 2 years ago and
wish I had it back

I see this a lot...."Sold it, wish I had it back."
Kinda like, in some cases, a divorce...finding out after the fact that nothing out there is any better, or even worse. In other cases, more often than not...good riddance  Cheesy

Sorry to go off topic. Actually, for me nothing really fancy...an Acom 1500, or OM2000+. Don't need "auto-tune." I already own an Acom 1000 and love it, but the "legal limit" thing with a little headroom could be on the horizon some day. I'm a contester with limited HOA antenna options, and grabbing those extra QSOs by putting me just over the other station's noise level would be advantageous. Sometimes that extra dB or two makes the difference in them copying you or not.
KK5DR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 05:25:21 PM »

Now, I'll tell about mine. It's called "Thor" and I'm building it. Using a Harris RF-102A chassis. It has a single 8877. Motor driven vacuum capacitors for plate and load.
Motor driven 12 position band switch RF switch Co model 90. 160-10, with 12, & 17m. I don't put 30m on any of my amps.
Digital read out for all parameters, such as; plate voltage, plate current, grind current, plate cap position, load cap position, led fault and status indicators, auto tuned input matching network.
The power supply is a huge 58# Peter Dahl hypersil plate transformer, 64uF 4500 volt oil filled filter caps. Plate voltage is 3850 no load, 3800 full load.
 105CFM squirrel cage/muffin fan cooling system (super quiet).
Sorry no QSK. I don't put that in any of the amps I build. I use coaxial RF transfer relay. They quiet and do not effect the SWR on 10 meters.
When it's finished, it will be my last amp I will design and build. I never sell any of my home brews. They are all here with me, and will not leave till I'm dead, which they should still be pumping out the RF power long after I'm gone.
Thor, is my masterpiece, my crowning project. My bucket list amp.
Doesn't matter how much longer it takes me to complete it. It will be as perfect as I can make it when it is done.
Meanwhile, I have "Thor's hammer", and one other project that is an unpublished one (not on my web site). Which I'm in the process of completing and will put it on the air soon.
My site? www.qsl.net/kk5dr

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 09:04:12 PM »

My Tokyo Hy-Power 2.5kfx is my dream amp and now I own one  Smiley
A Compact beast that follows me around the bands and has fault protection that's bullet proof.
The fact that it can do 2kw on most bands is icing on the cake.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 01:23:01 AM »

Yes your right there Peter, will probably use either my 75A4 or the R4C as the QSK receiver. 

I know of a UK ham who lived in the eastern suburbs of London. Next door was a 160m DXer, whose '10 watts DC input'  was to six paralleled 813s.......The R4C belonging to the first guy regularly got a burned up front end coil when left connected to the antenna  and tuned to 80 metres.....
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: