The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Bucket list" HF amplifier?  (Read 17612 times)
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 05:30:33 AM »

My Alpha 77SX that I bought in the 1980's. I have used it with many different rigs. The rigs have come and gone, but the 77SX stays. I have owned this amp for over 30 years. It covers 160 meters and 3-30MHz with no gaps. That means it will be able to operate on any new  bands that may become HAM bands and on 5 MHz and 10.1 MHz if high power is ever approved there. It uses an oil filled HV filter cap that should last a lifetime, unlike electrolytic HV caps that need to be replaced periodically. It does not use micro-processors and / or stepper motors etc, which may become extinct in a few years, which will render the amp useless.

In 30+ years of use it has never failed and it still runs all the original components (except meter lamps) including the 1980's vintage EIMAC 8877 tubes. It will EASILY run 1500 watts continuous carrier with 35 watts drive (even in the "low power" setting) on any frequency within its range for weeks without a break. I will leave it to your imagination what it will run in the high power position with 120 watts drive. What more could anyone ask of an amp?

Dick AD4U
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 11:31:00 AM by AD4U » Logged
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 10:17:18 AM »

Now, I'll tell about mine. It's called "Thor" and I'm building it. Using a Harris RF-102A chassis. It has a single 8877. Motor driven vacuum capacitors for plate and load.
Motor driven 12 position band switch RF switch Co model 90. 160-10, with 12, & 17m. I don't put 30m on any of my amps.
Digital read out for all parameters, such as; plate voltage, plate current, grind current, plate cap position, load cap position, led fault and status indicators, auto tuned input matching network.
The power supply is a huge 58# Peter Dahl hypersil plate transformer, 64uF 4500 volt oil filled filter caps. Plate voltage is 3850 no load, 3800 full load.
 105CFM squirrel cage/muffin fan cooling system (super quiet).
Sorry no QSK. I don't put that in any of the amps I build. I use coaxial RF transfer relay. They quiet and do not effect the SWR on 10 meters.
When it's finished, it will be my last amp I will design and build. I never sell any of my home brews. They are all here with me, and will not leave till I'm dead, which they should still be pumping out the RF power long after I'm gone.
Thor, is my masterpiece, my crowning project. My bucket list amp.
Doesn't matter how much longer it takes me to complete it. It will be as perfect as I can make it when it is done.
Meanwhile, I have "Thor's hammer", and one other project that is an unpublished one (not on my web site). Which I'm in the process of completing and will put it on the air soon.
My site? www.qsl.net/kk5dr

Matt,
Wow, super amp.  Looks like it is absolutely bulletproof !

Bob
K6UJ
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 11:01:14 AM »

Now, I'll tell about mine. It's called "Thor" and I'm building it. Using a Harris RF-102A chassis. It has a single 8877. Motor driven vacuum capacitors for plate and load.
Motor driven 12 position band switch RF switch Co model 90. 160-10, with 12, & 17m. I don't put 30m on any of my amps.
Digital read out for all parameters, such as; plate voltage, plate current, grind current, plate cap position, load cap position, led fault and status indicators, auto tuned input matching network.
The power supply is a huge 58# Peter Dahl hypersil plate transformer, 64uF 4500 volt oil filled filter caps. Plate voltage is 3850 no load, 3800 full load.
 105CFM squirrel cage/muffin fan cooling system (super quiet).
Sorry no QSK. I don't put that in any of the amps I build. I use coaxial RF transfer relay. They quiet and do not effect the SWR on 10 meters.
When it's finished, it will be my last amp I will design and build. I never sell any of my home brews. They are all here with me, and will not leave till I'm dead, which they should still be pumping out the RF power long after I'm gone.
Thor, is my masterpiece, my crowning project. My bucket list amp.
Doesn't matter how much longer it takes me to complete it. It will be as perfect as I can make it when it is done.
Meanwhile, I have "Thor's hammer", and one other project that is an unpublished one (not on my web site). Which I'm in the process of completing and will put it on the air soon.
My site? www.qsl.net/kk5dr

Wow, that thing is a beast!!! Very nice work!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 11:11:14 AM »

I still would kinda like to have a AL-82. I like the nostalgia of the big tubes that light up room with filaments and anodes glow red under load. 

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KK5DR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 04:30:34 PM »

My "unpublished" project is: A Kenwood TL-922 converted to a single 8877, with Peter Dahl 3400vdc outboard power supply.
It should prove to be a nice looking legal limit amp.
I've basically gutted the 922, sold the pieces I won't be using. I have more money in the power supply than the amp.
Switching DC power supply for control circuits and the filament heating.  Coaxial RF transfer relay, ATU input, etc, etc.
A few upgrade components in the tank circuit will beef it up abit. Except for the outboard PSU, the amp will look pretty stock 922, with one small differance, a small name tag on the front panel, "Beowulf".
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 05:27:35 PM »

I think this amp qualifies for the 'bucket list' amp.  100w in 14.6kw out Grin

http://www.dc9dz.de/en/tsunami.html

Jonathan W6GX

« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 06:47:12 AM by W6GX » Logged
NM6V

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 06:06:36 PM »

Jonathan,

In the mid 80's while living in SoCal. I was invited to visit this gentleman's RF Amplifier factory which produced amplifiers for the JA market.  10Kw types,
He offered to build one for me.  I declined.

Cheers

Henry  NM6V
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 02:04:53 PM »

I think this amp qualifies for the 'bucket list' amp.  100w in 14.6kw out Grin

Jonathan W6GX

Jonathan when is your Birthday?

73s
Rob

PS.  I will let your wife know what you want  Grin

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 04:56:47 PM »

Jonathan W6GX

73s
Rob

She already knows I have fetish for high powered amplifiers.  The problem is what I have to spend on her in exchange for my gifts Shocked

Jonathan W6GX
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 06:51:41 PM »

Jonathan W6GX

73s
Rob

She already knows I have fetish for high powered amplifiers.  The problem is what I have to spend on her in exchange for my gifts Shocked

Jonathan W6GX

Well you have an excellent amp right now, so save the maneuvering with the YL on a nice new rig when you feel the urge to get the latest hottest model.

Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 08:33:45 PM »

It would be something I built myself, using tubes that are available. I am quite happy with power outputs between 600 and 1000  watts... so far my heavily modified SB-220 is my "perfect" amplifier.  QSK, 160 meter and WARC coverage, etc..

My next project will be an amp using a pair of 813 tubes.  I have several matched pairs on hand, and I have accumulated all of the parts to do a first class job... including full QSK, etc.  At my age the 813 tubes I have on hand will last for my lifetime. And the amp will be a backup for my SB-220.  To be honest, I enjoy the challenge more than the operating.

If I was back in my youth, I'd be looking at a solid state solution... but.

Pete
N7WR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 08:49:51 PM »

Any of the SPE Expert amps with built in tuner and power supply in a compact package would suit me just fine.  I'll take the 1.2 KW one and be perfectly happy.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2015, 05:31:11 AM »

Any amp where the tube has handles :-)

AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2015, 05:35:59 AM »

Any amp where the tube has handles :-)

3CX20,000A7 in grounded grid. Simple to build. Drive it with an Alpha.  Grin

Dick AD4U
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2015, 05:40:19 AM »

6.3 volts at 160 amps, just to run the filaments!  That's more power than most amps put out!  Cheesy
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: