The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Bucket list" HF amplifier?  (Read 17608 times)
K5WLR

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2015, 05:42:14 AM »

6.3 volts at 160 amps, just to run the filaments!  That's more power than most amps put out!  Cheesy

Nothing a small nuclear power plant couldn't handle!  Grin
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2015, 09:36:10 PM »

I like the Emtron DX3-sp for linearity.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2015, 03:37:49 PM »

ICOM PW-1 & YES I already own it.My wife purchased it for me in 2013 as a Retirement gift.I love it & hope I never need another amplifier because the PW-1 is about as automatic as you can get & a Kilowatt on HF & 6 meters is plenty to bust any pileup I've ever been in or heard.You can't hear or see the difference in a Kilowatt & a Kilowatt & a half other than on the light bill. QRO Baby QRO.  Wink

Clayton
W4KVW
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 03:44:13 PM by W4KVW » Logged
W7VO

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2015, 10:51:24 AM »

Henry 8K. They don't get much stouter in a commercial ham amp.
KU7I

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2015, 02:03:18 PM »

Quad 3-500Zs would work just fine with today's rigs that do 200 watts out of the box.

Lane
Ku7i
Newport RI
ZL4IV

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2015, 12:15:17 AM »

From when I first got my license I was in awe of those amps that had 2 x 3-500 in them. One day I said to myself that I will have this power. Over the years I started repairing amps for others and all my lower power amps were traded to higher power amps until the point that now I have two amps for two radios. One can 4Kw and the other can exceed 5Kw. You know what, quite useless. The 5Kw on consumes 300W in idle mode and I have discovered that 1kw is the sweet spot for working DX, anything more is a waste of power, even the extra 500w you guys are allowed.

If I could turn the clock back I would have kept my 1-2Kw amps but no luck for me now, anybody even interested in one of my amps quickly realizes that the cost of even owning high power is to upgrade everything from the amp output socket to the ether, including the mains, for what? they can hear you and you can't hear them and the only guys to play with are the same power hungry ones.

Both my amps are of exceptional quality but think again about your bucket list, it turned out that I am a disappointment dreamer.
To pay out of my pocket it would be the Emtron DX-2sp for sure.

ZL4IV
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2015, 12:38:53 PM »

I think this amp qualifies for the 'bucket list' amp.  100w in 14.6kw out Grin

http://www.dc9dz.de/en/tsunami.html

Jonathan W6GX

The more I see this Amp the more interested I become in hearing from an actual owner.
Any one own one?

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2015, 03:51:49 AM »

I am not a power monger. I needed an amp because some in my regular group lived in a high noise environment and often couldn't hear me. Or sometimes I wanted to use some of my light weight homebrew gear for heavier service so eventually I built from scratch a twin 811A GG amp. Untuned front end and a PI output shunt fed switchable between 80M and 40M. Using ideas from several smaller (6l6 and such) amps I had built and ideas from the ARRL SSB handbook I concocted this design and worked through the snags. I now have a Amp that brings my rigs up to functional level in even poor conditions. It is quiet.  It idles (or as I say "parks")nicely so no need for switching (and yes I use a separate rx antenna as my rigs I use it on are stand alone transmitters.  It cannot be heard on the rx antenna even though it is on and at the ready. I am very happy with it and hope to use it for many years to come. It drives easily but can handle excess drive too without getting stupid.
I have owned when younger a Viewstar Linear but was never comfy with it so after about a year I sold it.  This is more my style. Does everything I want. I designed and built it and cost was maybe a couple of hundred bucks. Signal reports are good. Whats not to like?
don
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 03:55:10 AM by VE3LYX » Logged
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2015, 10:56:52 AM »

I am a bit partial to big glass tubes my low band rag chewing amp would need a pair of 4-1000 with 4500 or maybe a little more on the plates. My general purpose all band amp would have to be something solid state with 200% (four times) overhead and it would have to be water cooled.

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ

Don't Kalifornicate My Life
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2015, 07:39:00 AM »

Water cooled.... I always thought those vapor-cooled tubes were sexy, but I guess they never caught on and had a short production cycle.  An enterprising ham could design an amp that would also humidify the air during the very dry seasons. LOL!

Pete
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2015, 08:24:18 AM »

Pete,

the useful (for amateurs) 4CV1500 didn't catch on, but once you got to 30 and more kW, it was a different matter.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2015, 03:06:35 PM »

Neither did the 3CV1500 which had a short production life in the Alpha 70V as did the fine 3CX1000A7 in the 70/70A...one of my favorite tubes.

I worked on the amp section of a 4CV1500 that was part of a Jeep mounted KW transceiver for the USAF built by National Radio. That was my first introduction to serious parasitics.

Carl
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2015, 04:43:24 PM »

A pair of Kenwood TL-120s to match my '130V and 660.

I have solid state amps, tube amps, rare tube amps, big tube amps...but a couple of those little guys in combination with good antennas would suffice for 99% of the operating I do these days.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: