The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10 to be last windows.  (Read 47710 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2015, 08:29:31 AM »

MS annouced that there is no planned replacement for Win 10. They are taking a different angle with 10. As stated earlier it will be a modular OS with future major updated planned. It seems that they to continue to update features it will offer for several years.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 09:30:27 AM »

From what I gather, it will be continual rolling updates rather than loads of updates on fixed dates.
One thing that bothers me is the rumour that automatic updates will be compulsory with no chance to review what you are installing, given Microsoft's record on the reliability of some of their updates. Not to.mention the possibility of an update coming in when you are busy with something.

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 10:04:48 AM »

From what I gather, it will be continual rolling updates rather than loads of updates on fixed dates.
One thing that bothers me is the rumour that automatic updates will be compulsory with no chance to review what you are installing, given Microsoft's record on the reliability of some of their updates. Not to.mention the possibility of an update coming in when you are busy with something.

Well I suspect it will be like update on Win RT. While it will download them automatically it will not apply them and reboot without notification/permission.

KB2WVO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 07:40:44 PM »

gates said it long time ago. he didnt want a full desktop os. he wanted a cloud type system.
you rent or pay for the things you want.
this to me seems he is brings cell windows to desktops.

easter egg on 98 cd. anyone remember it. lol

VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 05:25:50 AM »

it's now on countdown:
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/01/hello-world-windows-10-available-on-july-29/
and
http://www.zdnet.com/article/get-your-pc-ready-for-windows-10/

- 8 weeks to go.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 05:38:47 AM by VK6IS » Logged
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 05:21:14 PM »

I received a notice from MS that my machine qualifies for WIN10. It is not an exceptional machine with many many cores and ram, etc etc. Will Win 10 be worth the upgrade? Or will it slow my computer down and make is a POS?? The upgrade is supposedly really free. There are certain parameters of who is really free and not.
I have a lot of Ham programs and SDR stuff "wired" in my WIN 7 computer. I would hate to have all that turn to SH**
Fred
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 05:30:41 PM by KC4MOP » Logged
K3GC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 06:46:53 PM »

I have been running win 10 for several months.  There have been and there still are bugs but they are being squashed rapidly.
I like 10 and all my ham software runs ok - a few glitches but I expect they will be resolved by the time the production Windows 10 is released.
10 is a big improvement over Windows 8 or 8.1.
For those who have and like Windows 7 I would see no pressing reason to upgrade real soon. 
I am a true geek and love to bleed on the cutting edge Smiley.
Gene K3GC
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 04:41:42 AM »

Several PC's here just got notification of a free Win10 up grade on July 29th. It says it will be a 3gb download and will download automatically but you choose if and when to install.

NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 04:56:01 AM »

One work... LINUX.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 05:08:16 AM »

Several PC's here just got notification of a free Win10 up grade on July 29th. It says it will be a 3gb download and will download automatically but you choose if and when to install.
One question...  Why the free upgrade, and why so far back as Win7?  Makes me nervous...  What am I not being told?  M$ doesn't do ANYTHING for free...  I am moving towards Linux anyway, and this just makes me move faster...

Thanks,
Dave
Amateur Radio: RFI help, Reviews, Setup information, and more...
https://www.nk7z.net
W2BLC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 05:45:27 AM »

I will probably have to keep one machine running Windows, due to the constraints of the software I run. I feel there will be another shoe fall on the Windows 10 for free thing and am endeavoring to switch to Linux Mint.

One major holdup is HRD - which will not function under Linux at all. I do not care to play the dual boot game nor the VM stuff. I will either run straight Linux across the board, or not bother at all.

Hence, I am on the prowl for radio control software - not logging and rotor turning - just simple rig control.

Bill W2BLC
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 06:08:54 AM »

Linux is not a bad OS (neither was OS2) but it app support pales next to windows. You move to linux, you will hamstring yourself big time.

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 06:10:48 AM »

Linux is not a bad OS (neither was OS2) but it app support pales next to windows. You move to linux, you will hamstring yourself big time.

... in your opinion.

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 06:27:42 AM »

... in your opinion.

No not just my "Opinion" it is a matter of fact as shown by market and app support but hey I know Trolls like you do not think about or understand things like this...  To you ignorance of this matter is bliss.

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 06:58:30 AM »

... in your opinion.

No not just my "Opinion" it is a matter of fact as shown by market and app support but hey I know Trolls like you do not think about or understand things like this...  To you ignorance of this matter is bliss.

"You move to linux, you will hamstring yourself big time."

... in your opinion.

As for ignorance... I've run  TI-994a, RS Color Computer, Apple IIs, Classic MacOS, OS X, Windows (3.1-XP). I moved from OS X to Linux based distros. I've dual booted Linux distros on Mac PPCs, Intel desktops laptops and netbooks .I know several people using Linux based distros. I don't feel hamstrung. They don't seem to feel hamstrung.

Also, you need to define "market and app support" ... as you are using it.

Rick KK4GGL
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: