The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Station computer  (Read 35423 times)
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2015, 10:27:18 PM »

I think that part of the confusion of ideas in this discussion is that the IBM PC "standard" had serial ports configured and "virtualized" for the OS in the BIOS firmware.  This dropped the requirement that such ports (at least COM1 through COM4) be completely translated through an OS device driver.  Much of that work was done at early stages of the boot process on that architecture.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2015, 10:35:00 PM »

AA6YQ there is no point arguing with you, your another one of those guys that likes to post people into submission.  Since you say it requires a driver, how am I talking to a COM port via DOS 6.2 without a driver?  No need to answer, I am pretty much done here.  You Win!  Serial ports require a driver or they won't work.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:43:04 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2015, 10:39:12 PM »

I think that part of the confusion of ideas in this discussion is that the IBM PC "standard" had serial ports configured and "virtualized" for the OS in the BIOS firmware.  This dropped the requirement that such ports (at least COM1 through COM4) be completely translated through an OS device driver.  Much of that work was done at early stages of the boot process on that architecture.

Exactly!  Thats what I was explaining to him when I said "getting access past COM4".
Every BIOS I have seen, even in 2015 motherboards still have the legacy option for the COM ports enabled.

73s
Rob

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:42:27 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2015, 08:32:12 AM »

"Serial ports are low level communication ports that talk directly to the hardware on the PC.  They do not depend on drivers like USB ports do." is false.

Yes, COM1 through COM4 can be directly accessed by applications. This does not make the second sentence above true.

Furthermore, placing device management functionality in a device driver does not make that functionality less reliable.

#1 DXCC Honor Roll, DXCC Challenge 3000
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2015, 08:49:14 AM »

AA6YQ there is no point arguing with you, your another one of those guys that likes to post people into submission.  Since you say it requires a driver, how am I talking to a COM port via DOS 6.2 without a driver?  No need to answer, I am pretty much done here.  You Win!  Serial ports require a driver or they won't work.

You posted that serial ports "do not depend on drivers like USB ports do". In the context of Windows (not DOS), this is not correct. While COM1 through COM4 can be directly accessed by applications, most applications that employ COM ports do so via serial port device drivers to avoid being limited to COM1-4, to gain device independence (e.g. to work with USB-to-serial-port adapters), and to avoid writing code for functionality that is already available.

#1 DXCC Honor Roll, DXCC Challenge 3000
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2015, 07:56:08 PM »

If there is a docking station for the Asus it might make a difference. I have a Lenovo laptop and they force you to get the docking station. It has just 2 USB ports and they are on the side, would be better if they were on the back, it has a port for an external monitor and it's on the side and doesn't have screw holes for tightening the monitor cable in so it will stay... total bummer until I saw a docking station for $20, now I can screw the monitor cable in place and it's in the back and I have about a dozen USB ports....

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: