The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10 to be last windows.  (Read 47740 times)
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2015, 04:48:58 PM »

By the way, and about the OS wars :

Linux is chosen by us, the computer geeks, nerds, h4x0rs, script kiddies, professionals and wannabes. We have the knowledge, so we can choose it. If any other option was any better, it would take us minutes to adopt it. It's that easy.

The disadvantage, everybody knows it. Its price of admission is high. You need to be good with computers, or have at least the desire to learn. A little bit like experiemental ham radio. If you like to fiddle with things, Linux is the tweakers choice.

All OSes have a learning curve.  When I first started using Windows 95, it was completely different than the 3.1 I was used to using.  I'm trying to learn the Mac now, and it's completely different than Windows, Android, or the common Linux GUIs (KDE/Gnome/Unity, etc.).  In fact, Finder reminds me more of Windows 3.1 Program Manager than anything that's been released in the last 20 years, only prettier.  I don't care very much for it, but it is what it is. 

Linux isn't anywhere near as hard to learn, as an average "operator" as it used to be.  The GUI is pretty close to Win7 and earlier, although it can be made to be whatever you want (most won't bother).  The Linux shell is different (and better, once you get used to it) than MS-DOS's command.com or the current Windows shell.  OSX, by the way, also uses the Bash shell, like Linux.

But the OS doesn't matter all that much as an end-user.  The programs are what matters, and few people would have any trouble getting used to Linux.  But they won't bother because they have Windows boxes that work perfectly well for them.  They don't work perfectly well enough for me.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2015, 05:55:16 PM »

This laptop I'm on just asked me (in the windows update area) if I wanted to reserve Windows 10 for this PC. So I did.

Help out the Club Log QSL Card Tagging Project - Tag DX QSL Cards
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2015, 06:50:52 AM »

A lot of hoopla for WIN 10....Many unhappy users with WIN8.
But if we accept this FREE upgrade; where is the hard copy or disk for WIN10. You know when the HDD crashes and you have re-install your system. Or a virus infection is deep in your OS?? And you gotta wipe the drive and start over???
Fred
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2015, 07:42:27 AM »

One question...  Why the free upgrade, and why so far back as Win7?  Makes me nervous...  What am I not being told?  M$ doesn't do ANYTHING for free...  I am moving towards Linux anyway, and this just makes me move faster...

Simply put, Win 7 was the last decent windows OS on the market.  A lot of people who upgraded to Win 8 and 8.1 thought so, and are sorry they did.  Microsoft feels their pain--even if they (Microsoft) don't agree that Win 8 and its successor was a POS.  So, Microsoft is going to cut its losses (as in the Win 8 debacle) and offer a free upgrade--but just for a limited time.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2015, 07:44:12 AM »

But if we accept this FREE upgrade; where is the hard copy or disk for WIN10. You know when the HDD crashes and you have re-install your system. Or a virus infection is deep in your OS?? And you gotta wipe the drive and start over???
Fred

Instead of accepting the upgrade alone, download the image for a Win 10 installation DVD now or before it disappears.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2015, 07:52:45 AM »

Fred

Like ANY MS OS install from a image it gives you the option to make a backup install DVD dah.... I guess you missed that memo long ago.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W5NM

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2015, 01:51:02 PM »

When Bill Gates gets his way with Cloud computing and all pc's are continually connected to the Cloud,
The Cloud will be and and will have Your computer and all of Your personal and private information to go with it. (Kinda like China and Russia already have all your information)
I have been a Certified professional computer builder, repair person , programmer , troubleshooter and diagnostician for the last 30 years and I wouldn't trust Bill Gates, the Government or its so called
intelligence agencies as far as I could throw them.
In fact there are things coming down the pike that will shake personal computing to the core.
Hang on Children!  Its gonna be a rough ride.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2015, 03:04:31 PM »

I too don't like this "cloud computing" and all that goes along with it.  AAMOF, I refuse to purchase any software where the software manufacturer can remove access to that software by one means or another even if the software is used according to the licensing agreements.  That's one reason that I'm going to review Win 10 before I put one penny toward it or the ridiculous "everything in the cloud" concept that may or may not go with it.  I also refuse to buy any software that requires my computer to be connected to the WWW for its use.  All that is is a racket to benefit the software manufacturers and the telecom companies--and the hackers!

If I can't get an unlimited license (within reason, of course) to use what I buy, I won't buy it.  I'm not in any way going to 'rent' software with perpetual rental payments that are only going to fatten some company's bottom line while they make trivial upgrades--and work on a 'new release' that they'll charge even more for.  And the old software?  Even if it works OK for the user, they'll have no choice but to pay the rent fees on the new one--that may not even do what they need it to do anymore!  You say baloney?  Just look at Adobe and their flash player and the 'no new upgrades' to it for the people who are still using Win XP--and I don't care if it was 'free' software, it still cost users one way or another. 

I waited on Windows 7 until I could get a deal on it, and it paid off.  My copy of the Windows 7 Ultimate software with its original packaging and its license key and label only cost me $89, and that was from someone who bought a new machine when their old one with that copy of 7 let go.

Go ahead and call me stingy--I prefer the term 'frugal' myself, but in my way of thinking, people who just have to jump on that new wagon as soon as it turns the corner aren't doing anyone including themselves any favors.  ANYONE.
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2015, 03:24:07 AM »

One question...  Why the free upgrade, and why so far back as Win7?  Makes me nervous...  What am I not being told?  M$ doesn't do ANYTHING for free...  I am moving towards Linux anyway, and this just makes me move faster...

Simply put, Win 7 was the last decent windows OS on the market.  A lot of people who upgraded to Win 8 and 8.1 thought so, and are sorry they did.  Microsoft feels their pain--even if they (Microsoft) don't agree that Win 8 and its successor was a POS.  So, Microsoft is going to cut its losses (as in the Win 8 debacle) and offer a free upgrade--but just for a limited time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2015, 04:40:58 AM »

That does seem to explain your position.

Rick KK4GGL
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2015, 05:56:11 AM »

Here's latest on Win 10 topic from Ask Woody via his June 8th InfoWorld article...

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2932295/microsoft-windows/windows-10-reality-check-separating-fact-from-fiction.html

Windows 10 reality check: Separating fact from fiction

Licensing, upgrade paths, ‘Windows as a Service’ -- here’s the lowdown on common Win10 misconceptions

Woody Leonhard — Senior Contributing Editor

Woody Leonhard writes computer books, primarily about Windows and Office; he's currently working on the Win 10 follow-up to the thousand-page "Windows 8.1 All-in-One for Dummies." A self-described "Windows victim," Woody specializes in telling the truth about Windows in a way that won't put you to sleep.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 06:01:05 AM by WA2ONH » Logged

73 de WA2ONH  <dit dit> ... Charlie
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Never be satisfied with what you know, only with what more you can find out"
Dr David Fairchild 1869-1954 US Scientist
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2015, 06:22:20 AM »

Decent maybe as a PC only OS of yesterday but today we are cross platform with smartphones and tablets and Win 7 is a total dead end here. Those with limited vision of current and future trends think the past is the solution for today but those that see future know Win 7 is DOA. If MS clung to Win 7 mentality and old WIN32 they would soon fade away. Also many here do not realize than MS longer longer uses WIN32 libraries in 8x or 10. They use a new library called WIN RT (not to be confused with RT tablet and supports 64 bit too) The new library supports old WIN32 calls so old apps run but it also supports a new generation of apps as well that are unsupported by Win 7. Clinging to Win 7 is kinda like clinging to Win9x 15 years ago as new full 32 bit apps replaced old 16 bit apps. New apps will replace old WIN32 apps one day (not for a few years) because it supports a lot more features and those clinging to Win 7 will be stuck clinging to old software.

In a nut shell it is funny to watch those saying 7 is way to go for next 5 years while it is on life support only (security updates/fixes only) and no future software support vs Win8x which today supports OLD WIN32 apps and future WIN RT apps and is far more future proof. Many do not like change though and have to learn hard way.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2015, 06:53:20 AM »

'JX, you've put out so much bunk and blather that it's a wonder that anyone still listens to you.

You said Win 10 is the last windows.  Microsoft never said that.

You said that Win 10 is going to be entirely cloud based.  Microsoft says otherwise.

Those who 'cling' to Win 7....  When are you going to stop?  It's been said time and again that some people are happy with the version of Windows they're using.  Some people still don't have a cell phone, while others still have their old 'dumb' phones.  When are you going to stop with your pure bullshit about those who don't upgrade will be left behind?  The people who have things that work for them don't need your bull.  

If you want to keep spending to make Microsoft happy and solvent, go right ahead.  Leave the rest of us in peace.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 04:03:00 PM by K1CJS » Logged
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2015, 12:21:46 PM »

'JX, you've put out so much bunk and blather that it's a wonder that anyone still listens to you.

You said Win 10 is the last windows.  Microsoft never said that.

You said that Win 10 is going to be entirely cloud based.  Microsoft says otherwise.

Those who 'cling' to Win 7....  When are you going to stop?  It's be version of Windows een said time and again that some people are happy with the version of Windows they're using.  Some people still don't have a cell phone, while others still have their old 'dumb' phones.  When are you going to stop with your pure bullshit about those who don't upgrade will be left behind?  The people who have things that work for them don't need your bull. 

If you want to keep spending to make Microsoft happy and solvent, go right ahead.  Leave the rest of us in peace.

If you don't like what he says then put him on ignore.  Let the rest of us in peace instead of whining like a spoiled little girl every time he says something you don't like.
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2015, 12:22:18 PM »

You are a prime example.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: