The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10 to be last windows.  (Read 48336 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 07:04:40 AM »

Linux is not a bad OS (neither was OS2) but it app support pales next to windows. You move to linux, you will hamstring yourself big time.

... in your opinion.

No not just my "Opinion" it is a matter of fact as shown by market and app support but hey I know Trolls like you do not think about or understand things like this...  To you ignorance of this matter is bliss.

"You move to linux, you will hamstring yourself big time."

... in your opinion.

As for ignorance... I've run  TI-994a, RS Color Computer, Apple IIs, Classic MacOS, OS X, Windows (3.1-XP). I moved from OS X to Linux based distros. I've dual booted Linux distros on Mac PPCs, Intel desktops laptops and netbooks .I know several people using Linux based distros. I don't feel hamstrung. They don't seem to feel hamstrung.

Also, you need to define "market and app support" ... as you are using it.

Like I said ignorance is bliss as you are stuck in old ways like most trolls are.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 07:47:07 AM »

Linux is not a bad OS (neither was OS2) but it app support pales next to windows. You move to linux, you will hamstring yourself big time.

... in your opinion.

No not just my "Opinion" it is a matter of fact as shown by market and app support but hey I know Trolls like you do not think about or understand things like this...  To you ignorance of this matter is bliss.

"You move to linux, you will hamstring yourself big time."

... in your opinion.

As for ignorance... I've run  TI-994a, RS Color Computer, Apple IIs, Classic MacOS, OS X, Windows (3.1-XP). I moved from OS X to Linux based distros. I've dual booted Linux distros on Mac PPCs, Intel desktops laptops and netbooks .I know several people using Linux based distros. I don't feel hamstrung. They don't seem to feel hamstrung.

Also, you need to define "market and app support" ... as you are using it.

Like I said ignorance is bliss as you are stuck in old ways like most trolls are.

You are free to make your incorrect inferences. And I notice you again show no support for your position.

Rick KK4GGL
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 08:29:30 AM »

Other than AutoCAD and some other high-end or specialized software, how?

Browsers?  Firefox and Chrome are available for all 3 platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux).

Office Suite?  LibreOffice still has a few formatting issues with Word, notably with outline numbering, but otherwise it's completely compatible with MSOffice.

Email?   Thunderbird works with Exchange, but a license from ExQuilla is required ($10).  Not free, but it still works.  Thunderbird, BTW, is cross-platform.

Ham software?  Just about anything one can think of is either available for both or there is a Linux equivalent to Windows-only software.

Programming Languages?  Other than .NET (I'm not sure Mono is being worked on anymore) and Visual Basic, anything that can be done in Windows can be done in Linux, with the proper adaptions for the GUI in use.  All major languages are available for both.

Number of Apps?  All the major Linux distros have thousands of apps available.  Debian invented the "App Store," aka the software repository, over 20 years ago.  Windows?  IIRC, Microsoft will have an app store for the first time, in Win10.  They've been way behind that curve for years.

So you were saying?  Wink

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 09:27:38 AM »

Browsers?  Firefox and Chrome are available for all 3 platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux).

Office Suite?  LibreOffice still has a few formatting issues with Word, notably with outline numbering, but otherwise it's completely compatible with MSOffice.

Email?   Thunderbird works with Exchange, but a license from ExQuilla is required ($10).  Not free, but it still works.  Thunderbird, BTW, is cross-platform.

Ham software?  Just about anything one can think of is either available for both or there is a Linux equivalent to Windows-only software.

Programming Languages?  Other than .NET (I'm not sure Mono is being worked on anymore) and Visual Basic, anything that can be done in Windows can be done in Linux, with the proper adaptions for the GUI in use.  All major languages are available for both.

Number of Apps?  All the major Linux distros have thousands of apps available.  Debian invented the "App Store," aka the software repository, over 20 years ago.  Windows?  IIRC, Microsoft will have an app store for the first time, in Win10.  They've been way behind that curve for years.

All you guys need to d0 a reality check, for every one program for linux or MAC OS there is 15 or 20 for Windows platform. Because of a very limited selection of a few ham programs and few cross platform browsers you pronounce these very small market share OS'es having main stream support. You really have head in the sand. I guess you believe is miracles too.

SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 12:43:22 PM »

All you guys need to d0 a reality check, for every one program for linux or MAC OS there is 15 or 20 for Windows platform. Because of a very limited selection of a few ham programs and few cross platform browsers you pronounce these very small market share OS'es having main stream support. You really have head in the sand. I guess you believe is miracles too.

Not to mention the low quality, undocumented, and half finished/abandoned buggy applications that masquerade as the Linux equivalent to a Windows application.
W2BLC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 02:14:15 PM »

There is Nothing comparable to HRD the runs under Linux. A simple logging program is not going to replace HRD - so don't even try.

No TurboTax for Linux.

No WYSIWYG HTML authoring software for Linux.

VOIP programs for hams are nearly nonexistent.

To much of the available software for hams under Linux is fiddly to install and not intuitive to use..

Connecting a simple Dell printer took over fours to get running, due to driver issues. It was plug and play on Windows.

No EzNEC for Linux.

Do not expect WINE (whine) to be of much help. Some simple programs for Windows will run using it (although not completely or well in every case).

Do not get me wrong- I like Linux (Mint) and support their efforts. I have been using Linux for several years, however, in my case - it will not do everything I can do under Windows.

If all you want is a browser, email, an Office type program, and play a few AARP games - then Linux will do you well.

A lot of scientific types use Linux and use it well - building their own programs for their specific needs. Not all of us can do that.

Do I relish the bloated Windows 10? Not at all! Then again, I do not like trying to use partially functioning software being passed off as a work-alike replacement for a popular Windows program. For example, those programs that "work just like" Quicken - filled with quirks and not complete nor safe to rely upon.

I wrote my own spreadsheets to do the job under Linux using Libre Office. Nice challenge, more work than should have been necessary.

My 2 cents worth on the topic of Linux vs. Windows xxxx.

Bill W2BLC
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 02:28:39 PM »

Bloated is kinda a relative term. If you try to run 10 on old hardware it will not shine but on modern fast hardware with 8 gig or more on ram it like 8.x should do nicely.

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2015, 07:31:03 PM »

There is Nothing comparable to HRD the runs under Linux. A simple logging program is not going to replace HRD - so don't even try.

No TurboTax for Linux.

To much of the available software for hams under Linux is fiddly to install and not intuitive to use..

Connecting a simple Dell printer took over fours to get running, due to driver issues. It was plug and play on Windows.

No EzNEC for Linux.

Do not expect WINE (whine) to be of much help. Some simple programs for Windows will run using it (although not completely or well in every case).

Do not get me wrong- I like Linux (Mint) and support their efforts. I have been using Linux for several years, however, in my case - it will not do everything I can do under Windows.

If all you want is a browser, email, an Office type program, and play a few AARP games - then Linux will do you well.

A lot of scientific types use Linux and use it well - building their own programs for their specific needs. Not all of us can do that.

Do I relish the bloated Windows 10? Not at all! Then again, I do not like trying to use partially functioning software being passed off as a work-alike replacement for a popular Windows program. For example, those programs that "work just like" Quicken - filled with quirks and not complete nor safe to rely upon.

I wrote my own spreadsheets to do the job under Linux using Libre Office. Nice challenge, more work than should have been necessary.

Bill W2BLC

Fine, fine... dont' run Linux distros :-)

Rick KK4GGL
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2015, 08:01:34 PM »

fldig does not have rotator control or satellite tracking. But them, one of the principles of open source software is not to have kitchen sink applications. But then emacs my have stretched that principle a little :-)

No TurboTax for Linux.

No stand alone, but I've used Turbo Tax from their web site for years.

Komposer, BlueGriffon, Amaya. And how much does Dreamweaver, with all of it's spaghetti code, cost?

Skype, Ekiga, Linphone, Yate, Jitsi

To much of the available software for hams under Linux is fiddly to install and not intuitive to use.

What ham software for Linux is "fiddly" to install? And what does "fiddly to install" mean?

Plug and play, huh? Where did the drivers come from?

No EzNEC for Linux.

4NEC2. Can't make a comparison myself because I've never used either package.

Some complex programs WILL run under it, and well.

I have no doubt that is true for you and others.

I do  use email and browse the web, but no games. I also edit pictures, audio and video. aS well as maintain my logs (QRZ, eQSL and LOTW, local log), use APRS, use digital modes, slow scan tv, track satellites and talk on EchoLink (Qtel)

And that is a big plus of Open Source software. It can be legally changed and then redistributed.

How much time did you spend learning Calc vs how much you spent learning Excel?

Bill W2BLC

I'll keep using OpenSuse as my main desktop system.

Rick KK4GGL
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2015, 08:05:25 AM »

For once, shockingly, I find I am somewhat agreement with W7JX, (Absolvat me Deus), at least on this one single issue-- his Linux assessment of ham software... 

I have been trying to move from a Windows to Linux only environment for two years now, and really am stuck finding a single program that will do everything MixW does...  Save that single program, I would be all Linux...  I have found replacements for every other needed program... 
Wine fails to run MixW, however I may be moving to Virtual Box to try that...  MixW is old, not maintained, and in general ignored, but it does exactly what I need, (fully integrated logging, spotting, and operations), so I keep a Windows 7 machine around just for that software, and a few of the programs like DX Atlas, and it's ilk.  I have to be honest, after two years of looking, I still have my Windows 7 box, and can't see a way to make it go away, without sacrificing some functionality for ham software...

Thanks,
Dave
Amateur Radio: RFI help, Reviews, Setup information, and more...
https://www.nk7z.net
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2015, 08:25:25 AM »

There is Nothing comparable to HRD the runs under Linux.

And there is no one else that provides customer service like HRD... thank goodness!
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2015, 08:31:04 AM »

And there is no one else that provides customer service like HRD... thank goodness!
That's funny!  Thanks for the chuckle! 

Thanks,
Dave
Amateur Radio: RFI help, Reviews, Setup information, and more...
https://www.nk7z.net
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2015, 08:42:44 AM »

Let's see how long my post survives. We'll see how much pull the principles of HRD have over here. If I had made that remark on the "other" forum, I would be banned for life!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 09:14:52 AM by N0IU » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2015, 10:28:25 AM »

And one cluster fart "Ham Radio Disaster" is enough. 

EA4TA

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2015, 03:58:09 PM »

I will probably have to keep one machine running Windows, due to the constraints of the software I run. I feel there will be another shoe fall on the Windows 10 for free thing and am endeavoring to switch to Linux Mint.

Do it, like most of us do.
I have an old falling to pieces Vista laptop. Need it once a year to pay taxes with mandatory Internet Explorer.

One major holdup is HRD - which will not function under Linux at all. I do not care to play the dual boot game nor the VM stuff. I will either run straight Linux across the board, or not bother at all.

Hence, I am on the prowl for radio control software - not logging and rotor turning - just simple rig control.

Bill W2BLC

Give CQRLOG a try. It makes everything you request, and then some. It works amazingly well and you may even prefer it to HRD. I know I do. (And I also preferred Logger32 to HRD by a big margin when on Windows).

By the way, and about the OS wars :

Linux is chosen by us, the computer geeks, nerds, h4x0rs, script kiddies, professionals and wannabes. We have the knowledge, so we can choose it. If any other option was any better, it would take us minutes to adopt it. It's that easy.

The disadvantage, everybody knows it. Its price of admission is high. You need to be good with computers, or have at least the desire to learn. A little bit like experiemental ham radio. If you like to fiddle with things, Linux is the tweakers choice.

And Windows is pretty fine too. It's main advantage is that it is the O.S. for the masses. For the end user. No need to see the code of Matrix if you don't want to. You can share setup or usage tips with your neighbours, and it even comes preinstalled at the supermarket.

Saludos,

Eduardo, EA4TA
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: