The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10 to be last windows.  (Read 48162 times)
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2015, 12:56:24 PM »

One question...  Why the free upgrade, and why so far back as Win7?  Makes me nervous...  What am I not being told?  M$ doesn't do ANYTHING for free...  I am moving towards Linux anyway, and this just makes me move faster...

Simply put, Win 7 was the last decent windows OS on the market.  A lot of people who upgraded to Win 8 and 8.1 thought so, and are sorry they did.  Microsoft feels their pain--even if they (Microsoft) don't agree that Win 8 and its successor was a POS.  So, Microsoft is going to cut its losses (as in the Win 8 debacle) and offer a free upgrade--but just for a limited time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

That does seem to explain your position.

You are a prime example.

I am a prime example of someone that has looked at the different operating systems and applications and have selected those that work for me.

Rick KK4GGL
W2BLC

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2015, 04:32:09 PM »

After playing the Preview game since last October, I have reverted back to Win 7 on one computer and Linux Mint on the other. This answers the need for some software that will not function except on Windows and allows for routine daily Internet operations to run under Linux.

Until such time as "better" software becomes available that runs on Linux, this will have to do.

Although the Win 10 system has many short-comings and failures, the final straw was the very invasive Microsoft inspection of my system via an "update" to determine if I was eligible for a free upgrade to Windows (when it available) - then place an advertisement of same in my tool bar. A quick reminder of how Microsoft operates.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2015, 04:35:02 PM »

Anyone judging the RTM version of Win 10 now, based on the trial program going on now, might just be selling it short. It will be better when it's released compared to today. Perfect? Probably not.

This reserve icon that's showing up? Why bother? If you get it for free anyways, and it's a download, why does even filling out a form to RESERVE your copy even make sense? Ignore that icon and go on with your day Smiley

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2015, 05:51:47 AM »

I am a prime example of someone that has looked at the different operating systems and applications and have selected those that work for me.

Yes indeed you are a prime example of cleaning to old and not learning new. Using niche OSes that have very limited market and suport does not count as embracing new. Tell me how do these off brand OSes seamlessly work across PC, Tablet and Smart phone? They do not.  They are a dead end.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2015, 06:14:54 AM »

Yes indeed you are a prime example of cleaning to old and not learning new. Using niche OSes that have very limited market and suport does not count as embracing new. Tell me how do these off brand OSes seamlessly work across PC, Tablet and Smart phone? They do not.  They are a dead end.

The thing is, you don't need an OS to span all devices. You only need the necessary apps to span devices. I use a Mac, Android phone, Windows laptop and an iPad. Some of apps I depend on are: Dropbox, Evernote, MS Office, Google Docs, gmail, LastPass, Flipboard, Pocket and some others. They are ALL available on Android, IOS, OSX, Windows (7,8.1, probably 10).

My point is this: No one NEEDS a single OS on all their devices. One can work just fine across multiple OS's and devices just fine.

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2015, 06:22:56 AM »

ah ahaha hha haha ha haha haha hhah hahaha hah ahah a..

Oh, you were serious?

ah ahaha hha haha ha haha haha hhah hahaha hah ahah a..

Rick KK4GGL
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2015, 06:24:43 AM »

Once again, you do not get it John. If you want seamless across multiple platforms, go Android. After all, Windows Phone continues to fail miserably. Windows 8.* has been roundly dismissed by the market. Ubunt
 is not niche, there are Ubuntu phones coming onto the market, Ubuntu is available on tablets.
I know Unity came in for some stick but I find pretty good on the desktop
But there again, if your brain cannot handle more than one interface, carry on with what works for you AND QUIT NAGGING THE REST OF US.

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2015, 06:31:53 AM »

...No one NEEDS a single OS on all their devices. One can work just fine across multiple OS's and devices just fine.

Exactly.

However, since Win 10 is being given away, I think the RTM is worth a look at--with one proviso.  Will Microsoft allow the removal of the Win 10 'upgrade' if the end user doesn't like it?  They had better or they'll be making even more enemies. 

As for myself, I'll be making a copy of the entire hard drive of the computer system I'll be setting it up on.  They're not going to catch me napping.  I just feel sorry for the people who don't have the technical savvy to do the same--if they prohibit removal of the upgrade.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2015, 06:33:30 AM »

Once again, you do not get it John. If you want seamless across multiple platforms, go Android. After all, Windows Phone continues to fail miserably. Windows 8.* has been roundly dismissed by the market. Ubunt
 is not niche, there are Ubuntu phones coming onto the market, Ubuntu is available on tablets.
I know Unity came in for some stick but I find pretty good on the desktop
But there again, if your brain cannot handle more than one interface, carry on with what works for you AND QUIT NAGGING THE REST OF US.

He doesn't know how to.

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2015, 06:42:15 AM »

...No one NEEDS a single OS on all their devices. One can work just fine across multiple OS's and devices just fine.

Exactly.

However, since Win 10 is being given away, I think the RTM is worth a look at--with one proviso.  Will Microsoft allow the removal of the Win 10 'upgrade' if the end user doesn't like it?  They had better or they'll be making even more enemies. 

As for myself, I'll be making a copy of the entire hard drive of the computer system I'll be setting it up on.  They're not going to catch me napping.  I just feel sorry for the people who don't have the technical savvy to do the same--if they prohibit removal of the upgrade.

Not sure they would be able to keep anyone from reinstalling Win 7 or Linux if they didn't like Win 10 . .  Check out Clonezilla if you have not already seen it. It's a nice way to save off a "image" of your entire hard drive and put it back later.

I predict that we'll see about the same level of whining about Win 10 as we did for Win 8/8.1 on eham forums. It's different than Win XP and 7 . . . Smiley

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2015, 04:47:21 AM »

Exactly.

However, since Win 10 is being given away, I think the RTM is worth a look at--with one proviso.  Will Microsoft allow the removal of the Win 10 'upgrade' if the end user doesn't like it?  They had better or they'll be making even more enemies.  

As for myself, I'll be making a copy of the entire hard drive of the computer system I'll be setting it up on.  They're not going to catch me napping.  I just feel sorry for the people who don't have the technical savvy to do the same--if they prohibit removal of the upgrade.

Not sure they would be able to keep anyone from reinstalling Win 7 or Linux if they didn't like Win 10 . .  Check out Clonezilla if you have not already seen it. It's a nice way to save off a "image" of your entire hard drive and put it back later.

I predict that we'll see about the same level of whining about Win 10 as we did for Win 8/8.1 on eham forums. It's different than Win XP and 7 . . . Smiley

When I say 'prohibit' removal, I mean that the upgrade cannot be undone automatically.  Of course you can reload everything fresh--nothing to stop you from doing so.

About the whining, I don't know.  I just don't think there will be as much.  After all, a few outsiders have said that Win 10 is what Win 8 'should have been' so I think the best thing to do is wait till 10 does come out.  It seems that 10 is just as radical a step backwards as 8 was a step forwards.

In short, I don't think that 10 will cause as much of an uproar as 8 did, except from 'JX and his ilk who want change simply for the sake of change--and don't give a damn about consumer sentiments because of such radical changes.  They'll probably be screaming about taking that step backwards!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 04:52:54 AM by K1CJS » Logged
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2015, 07:13:13 AM »

http://electronicdesign.com/systems/keep-coroner-call-windows-10-might-be-dead-arrival?NL=ED-03&Issue=ED-03_20150624_ED-03_807&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_3&utm_rid=CPG05000002095698&utm_campaign=2539&utm_medium=email&elq2=d8e9aefe39ea4de6b21ac99c281e577b
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2015, 09:30:41 AM »

That relates mainly to Windows 10 on phones. I doubt Windows phone success will have any effect on the Computer/Tablet operating system.

DOMER2530

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2015, 12:08:12 AM »

I have no idea for this issue. but I love win7 more.

Ledstrip is the  best choice for decorate our house.
AF7JA

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2015, 08:51:48 PM »

I have trid Linux many times, I really want Linux to work for me. But, it never has.

First, Scheduling software, There Linux has it, there is no free alternative to FET, and it runs on linux. However, there are no powerful systems dynamics software packages on Linux. Here I run Vinsim, like I said, there is no Linux version of anything like it.

Then there is the powerhouse, Excel. In particular, the Goalseek function. Open office has nothing like it.

I have tried Linux several times, enough that I kept trying to make the programs I needed to run under Wine. The simple fact is that fir user apps, Linux doesn't have it. Further, due to its reliance on hobbyists doing what they like, instead of the dreary stuff that just needs to get done, it never will.

Again, I want it to work, lots of people are cheering for Linux; but when I just ned to get work done, it isn't what I reach for.

FET http://lalescu.ro/liviu/fet/ Runs on Linux
Vinsim http://vensim.com/
Linux is not a bad OS (neither was OS2) but it app support pales next to windows. You move to linux, you will hamstring yourself big time.

Other than AutoCAD and some other high-end or specialized software, how?

Browsers?  Firefox and Chrome are available for all 3 platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux).

Office Suite?  LibreOffice still has a few formatting issues with Word, notably with outline numbering, but otherwise it's completely compatible with MSOffice.

Email?   Thunderbird works with Exchange, but a license from ExQuilla is required ($10).  Not free, but it still works.  Thunderbird, BTW, is cross-platform.

Ham software?  Just about anything one can think of is either available for both or there is a Linux equivalent to Windows-only software.

Programming Languages?  Other than .NET (I'm not sure Mono is being worked on anymore) and Visual Basic, anything that can be done in Windows can be done in Linux, with the proper adaptions for the GUI in use.  All major languages are available for both.

Number of Apps?  All the major Linux distros have thousands of apps available.  Debian invented the "App Store," aka the software repository, over 20 years ago.  Windows?  IIRC, Microsoft will have an app store for the first time, in Win10.  They've been way behind that curve for years.

So you were saying?  Wink
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: