The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10 to be last windows.  (Read 48314 times)
KJ4RWH

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2015, 02:42:41 PM »

Several PC's here just got notification of a free Win10 up grade on July 29th. It says it will be a 3gb download and will download automatically but you choose if and when to install.
One question...  Why the free upgrade, and why so far back as Win7?  Makes me nervous...  What am I not being told?  M$ doesn't do ANYTHING for free...  I am moving towards Linux anyway, and this just makes me move faster...

Roll Eyes Reminds me of the corner drug dealer. Gives the stuff away to build a client base.  Angry Angry
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2015, 11:21:24 PM »

with win_7 you added some random name as your user's name for each user profile,
now you can still do that with win-10 - but: you go around in circles - every-time you want to to something.
- it is forever asking you to log-into your "Microsoft Account" - using your Microsoft eMail address. ..
if you have a non-Microsoft eMail address - it won't let you do anything.
so - you can't log-into "your Microsoft Account"..

then again - this function came with win_8 - and Microsoft has kept it.

functionally - you still can use your PC like you did with win_7,
but - you will always be banging against that "Microsoft Account".
- if you don't have one. .. ..

it won't even take a Gmail address - it must be a Microsoft eMail address.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2015, 04:49:51 AM »

with win_7 you added some random name as your user's name for each user profile,
now you can still do that with win-10 - but: you go around in circles - every-time you want to to something.
- it is forever asking you to log-into your "Microsoft Account" - using your Microsoft eMail address. ..
if you have a non-Microsoft eMail address - it won't let you do anything.
so - you can't log-into "your Microsoft Account"..

then again - this function came with win_8 - and Microsoft has kept it.

functionally - you still can use your PC like you did with win_7,
but - you will always be banging against that "Microsoft Account".
- if you don't have one. .. ..

it won't even take a Gmail address - it must be a Microsoft eMail address.

Looks like Microsoft has to do some major damage control even before their new OS is officially released. First there were concerns that Windows 10 was going to be an subscription model.

Then it was the story that everyone had to get an Microsoft account in order to use their Windows 10 computer. Then there was the concern that you could not install another operating system on your own Windows 10 machine because of the bootloader.  And then comes word about "forced updates" on your own computer if it comes with Windows 10 Home Edition.

Forced updates is a particularly bad idea given that some updates can be buggy enough to cause applications to stop working or your computer to blue screen. The corporate world waits to add updates to their systems so that if there is any bugs or issues to an update, they can elect not to include it to their systems. Seems home users will no longer have that luxury.  Another issue, Media Center will not come with Windows 10.

And now comes yet another rumor, this one about some secret screen recording tool in Windows 10. Look I can understand that some people hate Microsoft, and they are the ones spreading the rumors. Maybe it's the Linux guys doing the rumor spreading...however if Linux is only on 1 % of the desktops as most claim. Then I doubt it is the Linux guys spreading the rumors, but maybe someone else? Maybe it is the users of Microsoft products who are spreading the rumors because they don't like what they see?   Perhaps they are pointing to some real issues that need to be looked at and addressed.  

And there are just too many rumors out there surrounding Windows 10, and some of them maybe true. People have been asking what  is the real reason Microsoft is giving away Windows 10 to Windows 7 and 8 users, while these rumors and issues constantly surface. The latest rumor (issue) just adds to the ever growing list of issues surrounding Windows 10.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/07/19/236252/windows-10-will-have-screen-recording-tool

My opinion is that it is ridiculous that anyone should have to obtain an Microsoft account or email address just to use their Windows 10 computer. But if that is Microsoft's end goal within a year or two to get eventually get every user to register with Microsoft (as a condition for continuing getting free updates for Windows 10) . Then there will be even more people leaving Windows for Android, Apple and ....even ....Linux.

While I could care less what operating system anyone uses. They all have good points and bad points. But if there is continually a lot of negative press surrounding Windows 10, that can't bode well for the company. People are not going to upgrade to 10 but rather stay with Windows 7 until it goes unsupported in 2020...and then continue to use it beyond the end of life...just like XP.

Microsoft needs to come clean on all of these rumors and assure the public that these are just rumors and not fact. Can they put the rumors to rest?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 06:00:44 AM by W4KYR » Logged

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2015, 07:03:58 AM »

I don't think MS has major damage control. If you do a little google'ing, you find that most of the rumors are just that.

Secret screen recorder? Seems it is no so "secret".  Of course people are going to jump to the conclusion of it being used without their permission etc. Like the folks in Texas thinking the US military is going to take over TX during Jade Helm. It's already part of the US, really?

Having a MS account is not such a novel idea. You need a google account if you use android. Apple did things a bit different, but they still require a Apple account though you can use a non-apple email address. Bottom line is the computing world is changing and everything isn't going to work like XP did.

I doubt MS is worried about a few grumpy old hams who would rather use XP.

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2015, 10:08:22 AM »

XP will not be a problem, 7 will be.
My own thoughts is that Windows 8.* will be mopped up by Windows 10.
XP users would have upgraded already so they're out of the question.
Linux is not relevant
Which leaves 7, I can see many not taking the upgrade

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2015, 10:15:51 AM »

XP will not be a problem, 7 will be.
My own thoughts is that Windows 8.* will be mopped up by Windows 10.
XP users would have upgraded already so they're out of the question.
Linux is not relevant
Which leaves 7, I can see many not taking the upgrade

Nothing wrong with 8x. Only those stuck in mud and not being able to adapt beyond 15 year old XP way of doing things have trouble with 8 because they try to use it like old OS and not adapt. I look for Win 7 to die is one of two years once people finally understand that it has zero support for new software that will only be supported by win 8x and beyond. Its just a question of how long they want to handicap themselves. Times change and staying with 7 metality would be a death sentence for MS long term. 

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2015, 11:49:09 AM »

Nothing wrong with 8x. Only those stuck in mud and not being able to adapt beyond 15 year old XP way of doing things have trouble with 8 because they try to use it like old OS and not adapt. I look for Win 7 to die is one of two years once people finally understand that it has zero support for new software that will only be supported by win 8x and beyond. Its just a question of how long they want to handicap themselves. Times change and staying with 7 metality would be a death sentence for MS long term. 

Not listening to your customers will be Microsoft's death sentence. As I have said before, new software will not become a standard if no one buys into it.
I can see Windows 7 lasting quite a few years because resistance to Win 8.* is still high. Lets face it if, after 3 years of not being able to walk into a shop and not being able to buy anything else but Win8, it has barely matched XP speaks volumes about Microsoft's direction.
Microsoft are in the process of laying off another 7,800 staff from the mobile phone division.
Anyway, what are you doing using such an antiquated O/S as Vista??

73 de Tony
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2015, 12:26:37 PM »

Not listening to your customers will be Microsoft's death sentence. As I have said before, new software will not become a standard if no one buys into it.
I can see Windows 7 lasting quite a few years because resistance to Win 8.* is still high. Lets face it if, after 3 years of not being able to walk into a shop and not being able to buy anything else but Win8, it has barely matched XP speaks volumes about Microsoft's direction.
Microsoft are in the process of laying off another 7,800 staff from the mobile phone division.

Most people that I talk to that are against Win 8.1 have never used it longer than a glance at the start screen in a store. I use it all day everyday. It works fine and I NEVER have to look at or use and of the new tiled application. The desktop looks like a Win 7 desktop. 

I guy came up to my desk the other day, said he got a new laptop and was loading Win 7. I asked why and he spouted all the same junk you read on forums like this about Win 8. He never tried it. Just following to nay sayers. 

SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2015, 01:20:22 PM »

Most people that I talk to that are against Win 8.1 have never used it longer than a glance at the start screen in a store. I use it all day everyday. It works fine and I NEVER have to look at or use and of the new tiled application. The desktop looks like a Win 7 desktop.  

I guy came up to my desk the other day, said he got a new laptop and was loading Win 7. I asked why and he spouted all the same junk you read on forums like this about Win 8. He never tried it. Just following to nay sayers.  

Same experience here.  The people using Windows 8.1 don't have a problem and just use it with no complaints.  The people who say they hate Windows 8.1 have never used it more than a few minutes if at all (usually the latter... they've never used it).  Funny how people will parrot others objections to Win 8 when they have not had any experience with it.

I use Classic Shell in Win8 so that I don't have to deal with Metro and it looks and works just like Win 7.  However, users should not have to use a third party program for this - MS could have just as easily given you a choice of interface - Metro for mobile devices and touchscreens, the desktop/start menu for desktop computers.  Had they done that, I don't think there would have been as much resistance to upgrading to Win 8.

I don't care for the Metro-like tiles in the Win 10 start menu myself.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 01:26:43 PM by SWL2002 » Logged
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2015, 01:38:48 PM »

Same experience here.  The people using Windows 8.1 don't have a problem and just use it with no complaints.  The people who say they hate Windows 8.1 have never used it more than a few minutes if at all (usually the latter... they've never used it).  Funny how people will parrot others objections to Win 8 when they have not had any experience with it.

I use Classic Shell in Win8 so that I don't have to deal with Metro and it looks and works just like Win 7.  However, users should not have to use a third party program for this - MS could have just as easily given you a choice of interface - Metro for mobile devices and touchscreens, the desktop/start menu for desktop computers.  Had they done that, I don't think there would have been as much resistance to upgrading to Win 8.

The thing is, you don't need a third party product. Take everything off the start screen except for the things you use every Day/Week.  Just leave those things on the start screen. If you use it once a month, don't put it on the start screen. Then you have a small single screen start screen to deal with. Hit the Windows key, click the program to start it, done. Less clicks than the old menu system in Win 7 and before. If you need a program thats not on the start screen, then type the first two-three characters of the name at it'll be there. I type "wor" for MS Word and it comes to the front of the list. I can start programs faster that Win 7 this way with less clicks and typing. It also saves me from having my hands leaving the keyboard all the time to move the mouse.

The big problem is people want install and play. They don't take a few minutes to learn about what they are using. Go to youtube, watch a couple Win 8.1 tips videos. Once you learn a few things it's actually not near as bad as people think, in fact, I prefer it to Win 7 now.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 01:42:25 PM by K5UNX » Logged

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2015, 02:49:10 PM »

Well, I know someone who has been using it for 15 months and still hates it.
Which is one reason I'm not putting it on my machine (Besides I've no use for it)

73 de Tony
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2015, 02:57:00 PM »

Not true Win 7 is a TOTAL dead end in smart phone tablet world. If 8 had come out a few years earlier people would of adapted by now and 8 would be matured and 7 dying. New apps are here today and growing but you would not know it if head is in sand. If MS had changed sooner, Apple would not of gotten a big head start in smart phone and tablet. It was the XP/7 mentality that prevented any past success in tablet/phone area. PC's will not be what keeps MS a major player in future because PC is dying. If they do not migrate to new platform they are history just like those clinging to 7.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2015, 03:21:50 PM »

Not true Win 7 is a TOTAL dead end in smart phone tablet world. If 8 had come out a few years earlier people would of adapted by now and 8 would be matured and 7 dying. New apps are here today and growing but you would not know it if head is in sand. If MS had changed sooner, Apple would not of gotten a big head start in smart phone and tablet. It was the XP/7 mentality that prevented any past success in tablet/phone area. PC's will not be what keeps MS a major player in future because PC is dying. If they do not migrate to new platform they are history just like those clinging to 7.

Windows already lost the phone and tablet market.  The surface is really now a full pc which I see as another class of machine.  I love the idea and might consider one someday.  But windows on mobile devices? It's toast.

SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2015, 04:23:35 AM »

The thing is, you don't need a third party product. Take everything off the start screen except for the things you use every Day/Week.  Just leave those things on the start screen. If you use it once a month, don't put it on the start screen. Then you have a small single screen start screen to deal with. Hit the Windows key, click the program to start it, done. Less clicks than the old menu system in Win 7 and before. If you need a program thats not on the start screen, then type the first two-three characters of the name at it'll be there. I type "wor" for MS Word and it comes to the front of the list. I can start programs faster that Win 7 this way with less clicks and typing. It also saves me from having my hands leaving the keyboard all the time to move the mouse.

The big problem is people want install and play. They don't take a few minutes to learn about what they are using. Go to youtube, watch a couple Win 8.1 tips videos. Once you learn a few things it's actually not near as bad as people think, in fact, I prefer it to Win 7 now.

I almost always use the Windows key + S and type in the name of the program I want to run.  I don't have any problem with taking everything off of the start screen except the stuff you use, but I prefer Windows 7 and earlier start menu for accessing less used stuff or just looking to see if I have something installed that I don't use often (and can't remember the name of).

I have a Surface Pro 3 and I don't use Classic Shell on it since I find it easier to use the Metro interface with the touchscreen.

When I was referring to Classic Shell, I was mainly talking about those who want their Win 8 to work/look like Win 7.  MS could have done that without users having to resort to something like Classic Shell or Start 8.

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2015, 05:32:54 AM »

When I was referring to Classic Shell, I was mainly talking about those who want their Win 8 to work/look like Win 7.  MS could have done that without users having to resort to something like Classic Shell or Start 8.

I agree 100%. Microsoft could have avoided the whole mess by just giving their customers a choice between Metro and Win 7/ Classic desktops by letting it's users switch between either one. Microsoft already had capabilities to switch back and forth for 15 years. For instance in XP one can easily switch between Category View and Classic View by just one click.

For instance Linux has a variety of desktops that lets the user choose from, Gnome, KDE, XFCE and others by simply cutting and pasting a simple script into the terminal.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: