The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10 to be last windows.  (Read 47931 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2015, 06:26:29 AM »

When I was referring to Classic Shell, I was mainly talking about those who want their Win 8 to work/look like Win 7.  MS could have done that without users having to resort to something like Classic Shell or Start 8.

I agree 100%. Microsoft could have avoided the whole mess by just giving their customers a choice between Metro and Win 7/ Classic desktops by letting it's users switch between either one. Microsoft already had capabilities to switch back and forth for 15 years. For instance in XP one can easily switch between Category View and Classic View by just one click.

For instance Linux has a variety of desktops that lets the user choose from, Gnome, KDE, XFCE and others by simply cutting and pasting a simple script into the terminal.

MS's only big/major mistake they made was making Metro the default shell on boot up with WIN 8. This was fixed by 8.1 but by then many were convinced (and still are) that Metro was the OS and not merely a shell. Had they do this it would of launched better. Win XP/7 way of doing thing needs to die it is a dinosaur with no place in future.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2015, 06:32:56 AM »

Same experience here.  The people using Windows 8.1 don't have a problem and just use it with no complaints.  The people who say they hate Windows 8.1 have never used it more than a few minutes if at all (usually the latter... they've never used it).  Funny how people will parrot others objections to Win 8 when they have not had any experience with it.

I use Classic Shell in Win8 so that I don't have to deal with Metro and it looks and works just like Win 7.  However, users should not have to use a third party program for this - MS could have just as easily given you a choice of interface - Metro for mobile devices and touchscreens, the desktop/start menu for desktop computers.  Had they done that, I don't think there would have been as much resistance to upgrading to Win 8.

I don't care for the Metro-like tiles in the Win 10 start menu myself.

The thing is, you don't need a third party product. Take everything off the start screen except for the things you use every Day/Week.  Just leave those things on the start screen. If you use it once a month, don't put it on the start screen. Then you have a small single screen start screen to deal with. Hit the Windows key, click the program to start it, done. Less clicks than the old menu system in Win 7 and before. If you need a program thats not on the start screen, then type the first two-three characters of the name at it'll be there. I type "wor" for MS Word and it comes to the front of the list. I can start programs faster that Win 7 this way with less clicks and typing. It also saves me from having my hands leaving the keyboard all the time to move the mouse.

The big problem is people want install and play. They don't take a few minutes to learn about what they are using. Go to youtube, watch a couple Win 8.1 tips videos. Once you learn a few things it's actually not near as bad as people think, in fact, I prefer it to Win 7 now.

I almost always use the Windows key + S and type in the name of the program I want to run.  I don't have any problem with taking everything off of the start screen except the stuff you use, but I prefer Windows 7 and earlier start menu for accessing less used stuff or just looking to see if I have something installed that I don't use often (and can't remember the name of).

I have a Surface Pro 3 and I don't use Classic Shell on it since I find it easier to use the Metro interface with the touchscreen.

When I was referring to Classic Shell, I was mainly talking about those who want their Win 8 to work/look like Win 7.  MS could have done that without users having to resort to something like Classic Shell or Start 8.

Just FYI . . . You don't need the "S" with the Win key to search. Try just the Win key, the start screen will pop up like normal, now type your search . . .

SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2015, 08:16:08 AM »

Same experience here.  The people using Windows 8.1 don't have a problem and just use it with no complaints.  The people who say they hate Windows 8.1 have never used it more than a few minutes if at all (usually the latter... they've never used it).  Funny how people will parrot others objections to Win 8 when they have not had any experience with it.

I use Classic Shell in Win8 so that I don't have to deal with Metro and it looks and works just like Win 7.  However, users should not have to use a third party program for this - MS could have just as easily given you a choice of interface - Metro for mobile devices and touchscreens, the desktop/start menu for desktop computers.  Had they done that, I don't think there would have been as much resistance to upgrading to Win 8.

I don't care for the Metro-like tiles in the Win 10 start menu myself.

The thing is, you don't need a third party product. Take everything off the start screen except for the things you use every Day/Week.  Just leave those things on the start screen. If you use it once a month, don't put it on the start screen. Then you have a small single screen start screen to deal with. Hit the Windows key, click the program to start it, done. Less clicks than the old menu system in Win 7 and before. If you need a program thats not on the start screen, then type the first two-three characters of the name at it'll be there. I type "wor" for MS Word and it comes to the front of the list. I can start programs faster that Win 7 this way with less clicks and typing. It also saves me from having my hands leaving the keyboard all the time to move the mouse.

The big problem is people want install and play. They don't take a few minutes to learn about what they are using. Go to youtube, watch a couple Win 8.1 tips videos. Once you learn a few things it's actually not near as bad as people think, in fact, I prefer it to Win 7 now.

I almost always use the Windows key + S and type in the name of the program I want to run.  I don't have any problem with taking everything off of the start screen except the stuff you use, but I prefer Windows 7 and earlier start menu for accessing less used stuff or just looking to see if I have something installed that I don't use often (and can't remember the name of).

I have a Surface Pro 3 and I don't use Classic Shell on it since I find it easier to use the Metro interface with the touchscreen.

When I was referring to Classic Shell, I was mainly talking about those who want their Win 8 to work/look like Win 7.  MS could have done that without users having to resort to something like Classic Shell or Start 8.

Just FYI . . . You don't need the "S" with the Win key to search. Try just the Win key, the start screen will pop up like normal, now type your search . . .

Thanks, I know, but I am running Classic Shell. When you hit the Win key, it opens the Classic Shell search in the start menu.  Win key + S gets you to the search you are talking about when running Classic Shell.  I have not used Start 8 much, so I don't know how it behaves.
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2015, 08:23:33 AM »

Win XP/7 way of doing thing needs to die it is a dinosaur with no place in future.

marketshare.hitslink.com
Desktop
XP 11.98%
7  60.98%
8.x 16%

Well .. 8.x finally passed XP.

Tablet:
Android: 50.98%
iOS: 40.83%
Windows Phone: 2.29%

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2015, 08:38:50 AM »

Win XP/7 way of doing thing needs to die it is a dinosaur with no place in future.

marketshare.hitslink.com
Desktop
XP 11.98%
7  60.98%
8.x 16%

Tablet:

And no WIn8x thread is complete without a pointless comment from the main troll here GGL who is stuck in past too and cannot see path future must take. MS's mistake was not launching 8 sooner and with Metro not default shell. If they had all this would be moot.   

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2015, 08:48:28 AM »

Speaking of stuck in the past... Are you the one with a 20 year old antenna system?
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2015, 08:50:35 AM »

MS's only big/major mistake they made was making Metro the default shell on boot up with WIN 8. This was fixed by 8.1 but by then many were convinced (and still are) that Metro was the OS and not merely a shell. Had they do this it would of launched better. Win XP/7 way of doing thing needs to die it is a dinosaur with no place in future.

I think instituting the registry was their big mistake.
There is no speed advantage to using the registry, and over the years there has not been a security advantage.
The NIX or OS/2 operating systems have never needed such a file..
Oh well....

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ

Don't Kalifornicate My Life
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2015, 09:23:14 AM »

marketshare.hitslink.com
Desktop
XP 11.98%
7  60.98%
8.x 16%

Tablet:

And no WIn8x thread is complete without a pointless comment from the main troll here GGL who is stuck in past too and cannot see path future must take. MS's mistake was not launching 8 sooner and with Metro not default shell. If they had all this would be moot.   

Translation: you can't come up with anything valid.

Rick KK4GGL
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2015, 09:29:35 AM »

marketshare.hitslink.com
Desktop
XP 11.98%
7  60.98%
8.x 16%

Tablet:

You forgot to post the Linux stats?  1.61% from your own link above.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 09:34:11 AM by SWL2002 » Logged
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2015, 09:32:56 AM »

I think instituting the registry was their big mistake.
There is no speed advantage to using the registry, and over the years there has not been a security advantage.
The NIX or OS/2 operating systems have never needed such a file..
Oh well....

Yep, the registry was probably a mistake.  I understand why the implemented the registry though.  They should have taken a clue from *NIX on that.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 09:39:11 AM by SWL2002 » Logged
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2015, 10:03:17 AM »

Linux 1.61% almost beat Vista 1.62% (There were some saying back in 2007 and 2008 that Linux could beat Vista someday...it almost came true.)

Also

Windows NT 0.08%
Windows 2000 0.01%
Windows 3.1 0.1%

No Windows 95, 98 or ME ?

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2015, 10:25:40 AM »

also2

Windows 10 - 0.16%
need to check that again - Two Weeks. ..
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2015, 11:27:45 AM »

marketshare.hitslink.com
Desktop
XP 11.98%
7  60.98%
8.x 16%

Tablet:

Are you trying to make some sort of point? No? Didn't think so.

Rick KK4GGL
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2015, 11:36:38 AM »

marketshare.hitslink.com
Desktop
XP 11.98%
7  60.98%
8.x 16%

Tablet:

Are you trying to make some sort of point? No? Didn't think so.

Says the KING (or is it QUEEN) of useless and pointless posts...   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Obviously you were embarrassed to post the stats of your darling OS.  You posted stats for Android, iOS, etc..  why not Linux?
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2015, 01:31:13 PM »

Says the KING (or is it QUEEN) of useless and pointless posts...   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

It seems you feel the need to try to make baseless personal insults when you don't have any valid points to make.

Obviously you were embarrassed to post the stats of your darling OS.

My "darling" OS?  Really? While I did switch from OS X to Linux systems for my main system, I also have 2 XP systems, a Vista system and my tablet is Android. Also, one of my projects is to put together a portable packet station using a Tandy Model 100. I am considering upgrading one XP system to Win 7.

You posted stats for Android, iOS, etc..  why not Linux?

First, I addressed lack of Windows 8.x version penetration in the desktop userbase. I mentioned only Windows in respect to the desktop userbase.  I also did not mention OS X (7.4%) or Vista (1.62%).

I also addressed the OS penetration of different OS's in the tablet/phone market, showing Windows penetration to be small. BTW, in the tablet/phone I did address Linux based systems. Android uses the Linux kernel. I suppose Linux systems will have to be broken out if Ubuntu phones ever start to move.

Rick KK4GGL
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: