The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10 to be last windows.  (Read 47729 times)
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2015, 01:53:34 PM »

Also, one of my projects is to put together a portable packet station using a Tandy Model 100.

Can you do a separate post on the Tandy Model 100 portable packet station when you do the project? I think that would be an interesting topic. I have a mini TRS-80 and was wondering if that too could be used for packet.

Thanks

(To all, Sorry for the thread drift)

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2015, 02:25:08 PM »

Also, one of my projects is to put together a portable packet station using a Tandy Model 100.

Can you do a separate post on the Tandy Model 100 portable packet station when you do the project? I think that would be an interesting topic. I have a mini TRS-80 and was wondering if that too could be used for packet.

Thanks

(To all, Sorry for the thread drift)

Check your PMs

Rick KK4GGL
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2015, 02:34:36 PM »

My "darling" OS?  Really? While I did switch from OS X to Linux systems for my main system, I also have 2 XP systems, a Vista system and my tablet is Android. Also, one of my projects is to put together a portable packet station using a Tandy Model 100. I am considering upgrading one XP system to Win 7.

YAWN...
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2015, 08:23:42 PM »

Ham Radio is a hobby I want to enjoy. I run a windows machine for all the hobby stuff, otherwise I'd be in Linux hell trying to find stuff and then trying to find how to actually get it to work and asking questions about software that was abandoned but nobody quite announced it. Been down the Linux path already, it's for people that want a job working for a computer instead of a computer that works for them. LOL

I'd build a Linux machine for a single purpose if it was the way to go. I do some software work and my environment provider is working on a native Linux version and it seems to have enough priority so that it might actually appear in the not so far future. I'll dedicate a laptop to that and in fact, I'm looking forward to that day. General purpose Linux machine, that will never be the way to go. All the Microsoft Office knockoff stuff pretty much sucks. If Microsoft has ever done anything right it's in the Office product line and it runs fine under Windows, even XP.

Dedicated laptops are kind of cool. I have two different laptops that are identical and one docking station that connects a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.. To switch the laptops I just lift one out of the docking station and put the other one in and hit the startup button. This is way, way better than a KVM switch, what a mess of cables and operating difficulties those things are...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2015, 08:51:52 AM »

Ham Radio is a hobby I want to enjoy. I run a windows machine for all the hobby stuff, otherwise I'd be in Linux hell trying to find stuff and then trying to find how to actually get it to work and asking questions about software that was abandoned but nobody quite announced it. Been down the Linux path already, it's for people that want a job working for a computer instead of a computer that works for them. LOL

I have used GNU/Linux systems for my my system for quite a few years now. I sarted back when you really did have to edit text files  extensively. A couple of days ago I installed Debian on one of my desktops. It was generally just hitting enter a bunch of time during the install.

What do you  mean "trying to find stuff". If you mean finding installed programs, the various DEs seem to have fairly well organized menu systems. If you mean finding programs to install, look in the repositories. It's similar to installing apps on phones/tablets.

As for asking questions on how to use it... of course you'd have to ask questions. You're switching operating systems. contrary to common belief, there is no such thing as a truly intuitive computer interface... today.

I'd build a Linux machine for a single purpose if it was the way to go. I do some software work and my environment provider is working on a native Linux version and it seems to have enough priority so that it might actually appear in the not so far future. I'll dedicate a laptop to that and in fact, I'm looking forward to that day. General purpose Linux machine, that will never be the way to go. All the Microsoft Office knockoff stuff pretty much sucks. If Microsoft has ever done anything right it's in the Office product line and it runs fine under Windows, even XP.

Please explain "native lLinux version". Many levels of municipal, state and nation governments, as well a private companies seem to disagree with you that "All the Microsoft Office knockoff stuff pretty much sucks'. There are a great many people, companies and governments using LibreOffice/OpenOffice.

Dedicated laptops are kind of cool. I have two different laptops that are identical and one docking station that connects a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.. To switch the laptops I just lift one out of the docking station and put the other one in and hit the startup button. This is way, way better than a KVM switch, what a mess of cables and operating difficulties those things are...

It may work better for you, so that's good for you. However, there are others that think multiple systems sharing a monitor mouse and keyboard are more efficient.

I also enjoy Ham radio. I do not find using GNU/Linux based systems a hindrance at all. I have logging , satellite tracking, digital mode, slowscan TV, packet, APRS,  and LOTW software. All from the OpenSuse Ham/Amateur repository. Debian is even easier. The Amateur Radio stuff, for the most part, seems to be in the regular repositories.

So... to each his own? what works for one may not work for another :-)

Rick KK4GGL
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: