The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many OT's still use hand keys?  (Read 28122 times)
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2015, 12:29:03 PM »

I use a keyboard for typing responses to internet forums.

I use the mouse to send CW to the computer to respond to these forums...   Grin

Seriously, I suppose a mouse would make a lousy Morse code key...
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2015, 01:09:39 PM »

I use a keyboard for typing responses to internet forums.

I use the mouse to send CW to the computer to respond to these forums...   Grin

Seriously, I suppose a mouse would make a lousy Morse code key...

You can try it here: http://lcwo.net/transmit  or here:  http://morsecode.me/

Works, but not a lot of fun!

Fabian

DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2015, 01:13:15 PM »

Old Timer? Well, I suppose so since I got my ticket nearly forty years ago but I don't think of myself as old.

Anyway........

I have a set of Italian made paddles on the desk (the manufacturers name escapes me) and for straight key operation I have a Kent and a NATO key. The NATO key is the better of the two.

Peter DL8OV
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2015, 07:58:30 PM »

Old Timer? Well, I suppose so since I got my ticket nearly forty years ago but I don't think of myself as old.

Peter DL8OV

I've been licensed for 54 years. You, sir, are still a young puppy!!   Grin Grin

Pete
N6XJP

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2015, 07:02:14 PM »

Who are you guys calling an old timer?  I'm only 71.  I have tried them all, and still have most of them in boxes here and there.  I put my vibroplex on the desk 'cause it looks cool.  But I am still using the same old straight key I learned on many years ago...got me from Novice to Extra in less than two years...and lots of great QSOs. 

Dave
N6XJP
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2015, 06:28:13 AM »

I suppose a mouse would make a lousy Morse code key...

Witness the code rodent:

PiCK iambic keyer IC inside a 3 button mouse.   On the plus side it's a self contained keyer/paddle with memory.  Works, but it's mostly a novelty. 

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

K7NSW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2015, 10:32:44 AM »

Newbie here - only 54 years pounding brass. Oh how I love my straight key. A straight key is like a woman. All of them are beautiful - some are more so than others. Right now my key is the Bencher SK. When I want to speed up I get out my paddle set. Most of the time I am on my SK at slower speeds. I operate ssb one weekend a year: Field Day. As to the original question that started this posting, I am still waiting for the "suffering" to start.  Perhaps it will - ask me in another 54 years.
N1NQC

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2015, 11:29:32 PM »

Hey All,

I have : J-38 (I LIKE that key ,MYSELF), another oldie "telegraph" style on walnut. My personal favorite : I needed to key my spark tx ( oil burner transformer), so I made an mahogany "extension" and  enclosed 120 VAC on a key inside  a wooden box. The extension exits the box in a narrow slit and it  what is tapped to send Morse.So bottom line :  key safely enclosed in box.But I STILL WOULDN'T TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS. Smiley

N1NQC
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2015, 04:36:21 AM »

I use an electric corp key upstairs studio A but I make my own keys now from Wood including the spring and far prefer them to any other. A wood spring stays in your fist no matter what.
don
AB2CF

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2015, 09:55:36 PM »

As a ham of only 20 odd years I don't consider myself an old timer. I did start out with a straight key and went to paddles when I hit 18wpm.  Paddles were too easy and no challenge so I picked up a bug.  Loved the challenge and the feel.  I now have about 65 bugs made between 1906 and 1945. I use them all and generally have 4 or 5 inline and switch them out every so often.  The bugs look natural in front of the all tube HF rigs.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: