The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weekly Net Participation  (Read 30828 times)
K7RWB

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2015, 09:56:17 AM »

We always seem to have difficulty getting people to check into weekly nets.  I am involved in two nets per week.  One with our local club and the other with a volunteer organization I do work with.  We encourage people to participate but every week the numbers seem to get lower.

Any good ideas anyone might have to get participants back involved would be very much appreciated. We have thought about contests or some type, we do drill on QRP and battery power but that only holds attention a few times a year.  There has to be something that will encourage more participation.  We have just not found the formula yet.

Thanks!
Rowland
K7RWB

Thank you,

Rowland
K7RWB
N9BH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 12:04:31 PM »

Have you asked the people why they are not checking in?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 01:43:54 PM »

The reason they'll probably give you is lack of time. What they really mean is that the net is very low on their list of priorities. That puts you back to trying to find something each week to interest them and move the net to the top of the list over all the other things calling for their time.

Perhaps something outside of the net like a monthly breakfast get together (no formal meetings) so that participants get to know each other personally would help with net participation. Still, the net has to have some known purpose other than just checking in.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 02:51:48 PM »

The reason they'll probably give you is lack of time. What they really mean is that the net is very low on their list of priorities. That puts you back to trying to find something each week to interest them and move the net to the top of the list over all the other things calling for their time.

Perhaps something outside of the net like a monthly breakfast get together (no formal meetings) so that participants get to know each other personally would help with net participation. Still, the net has to have some known purpose other than just checking in.

So true!

Be it a cw or SSB net, it's a waste of time to check in for "no traffic" or no conversation.
I used to check into a local club net , only for them to say "nothing new here-back to net". I even tried to wake them up by talking about something that they might comment on, but it hardly ever worked.
Needless to say, it's rare that I ever turn the big dial to that frequency at the appointed time anymore...

W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 09:38:01 AM »

The only good nets are for catching Fish the rest are pretty much useless.Boring no traffic or weather reports that nobody needs because we all have the world wide web & a TV Set.Time is better spent chasing DX or Rag Chewing.No further traffic at this time.  Wink

Clayton
W4KVW
KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 09:05:35 PM »

Not to ruffle any feathers but the bottom line is in my opinion, nets are just plain boring and serve little valuable purpose plus there are way too many of them to go around. Why not have a good old fashioned rag chew gathering or if you really want to have a net maybe some sort of informal rag chew net? Nothing exciting about checking in to a net saying "this is %%% good evening to the net, no traffic". That's about all that anyone ever says so where is the fun or excitement in that? Nets are like a broken record. Also in my opinion, the more often a net is held the more burned out people become with it.

I'm just speaking my own opinion as to why I have not checked in to a net in 15 + years. I'm sure many people have other reasons but I'm also certain many share the same. Also it would be something very very low on my list of priorities. I don't think holding nets, especially a net in the traditional sense is a very viable solution to bringing increased activity to any band. It seems like activity as a whole on vhf/uhf (this may or may not be the bands where your nets are held) is just not what it used to be and I'm not sure anything will bring much increased activity for any length of time or on a permanent basis. Once the new wears off of any activity its pretty much back to the status quo.

Not trying to sound harsh but just being realistic. I have heard many others express very similar opinions.

AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 10:16:28 AM »

For me, there are several nets (rag-chew and traffic) that I'd like to participate in.  However, they are all scheduled to start around 7 - 7:30 pm and I almost always miss them.  A typical evening for me is get home from work, cart the kids off to swimming or piano lessons, eat dinner with the family, take the dogs for a walk, help the kids with homework, etc.  If I'm luck I can sit down in the shack by 8pm and pretty much all the nets are over.  I'm sure others in the 30-50 years old bracket are in similar situations.

I'm not sure why nets have to always start and finish before 8pm.  Perhaps it was a hold over of trying to get it all done before prime time television started.  But in this day of DVR's and on-demand streaming internet TV I don't think such a reason is valid anymore.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 05:00:01 PM »

I'm the San Diego Section Public Information Coordinator and the President of one of the local clubs.  I'll check into other club nets to make announcements regarding public information pertinent to the entire section.  I use my club's weekly nets to make announcements pertinent to the club, such as changes in the monthly meeting date and the status of the repeater.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 06:11:41 PM »

I used to check into a weekly 8 pm simplex net, until my schedule changed. .... The net just seemed more personal, not processed by a repeater, no news recordings. .... There probably is a way to make a net interesting, I just never gave it much thought.
W0JRT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 10:45:20 AM »

There's a weekly net in the Kansas City area that is often quite busy, even to the point of having to shut down the net after an hour or so to give net control a break.  Even if people check in with "no traffic", all of the callsigns are logged, and then net control will go down the list station by station, call the station, and ask them to share what's new, etc.  (Priority is given to mobile or "short time" stations.)  Many of the people checking in are members of the club that owns the repeater and are well known by the group, but new folks or visitors are always warmly welcomed and are also asked to share their thoughts.  Occasionally there will be a specific topic, though usually it's just an open forum, but even if there is a specific topic or specific question being asked to all check-ins, all comments are still welcomed.  Once net control has made it through the list, he'll put the call out for any further check-ins or rechecks, and there usually are some, and the process repeats.  Activity tends to draw more activity, especially as people re-check to comment on things said earlier in the net.  As previously mentioned, often the net will go on so long that instead of asking for further check-ins, net control will just close the net.  That's typically after at least an hour.

It's can be highly dependent on whoever is operating as net control, too.  To really make it successful requires some dedication, plus it helps if the net control operating has the kind of personality that people are drawn to.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 06:54:42 PM »

I'd ask WHY do they check in? 99.9% of nets are a waste of time & good airwaves.Like so many they are meeting places for some who day after day & week after week give reports on their pets,the weather,& other unimportant events.If I ever get so bored that I need a net to make me feel like I did something important IN A DAY I'll sell all of my Ham Radio Gear & find a new hobby.Not bad enough that 40 meters is over run with nets in the day time now that many broadcast stations have ceased their broadcasting now there are some more useless night time 40 meter nets.Just what we don't need is another net or another contest.I almost forgot that the Net Owns their net frequency & will on some nets tie up the frequency hours ahead of time or just ignore the person or persons using their special net frequency when it's net time & just start talking as if nobody was there.Ask many of them & they will tell you that frequency is theirs because they have their useless net there 6 days a week so everybody knows it's theirs.I know none of those net users will ever admit it but the Truth will set them free but they are not interested in the truth just their useless net.   Shocked Shocked  Sad

Clayton
W4KVW
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 06:59:25 PM by W4KVW » Logged
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 09:34:53 PM »

I'd ask WHY do they check in? 99.9% of nets are a waste of time & good airwaves.Like so many they are meeting places for some who day after day & week after week give reports on their pets,the weather,& other unimportant events.If I ever get so bored that I need a net to make me feel like I did something important IN A DAY I'll sell all of my Ham Radio Gear & find a new hobby.Not bad enough that 40 meters is over run with nets in the day time now that many broadcast stations have ceased their broadcasting now there are some more useless night time 40 meter nets.Just what we don't need is another net or another contest.I almost forgot that the Net Owns their net frequency & will on some nets tie up the frequency hours ahead of time or just ignore the person or persons using their special net frequency when it's net time & just start talking as if nobody was there.Ask many of them & they will tell you that frequency is theirs because they have their useless net there 6 days a week so everybody knows it's theirs.I know none of those net users will ever admit it but the Truth will set them free but they are not interested in the truth just their useless net.   Shocked Shocked  Sad

Clayton
W4KVW

EPIC RANTCheesy
W2UIS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 03:07:09 AM »

I run two nets every month on DStar (QCWA and TALARC). I normally have 0 to 10 check-in mostly from non-members.
The reason I do these nets is to put the organizations on the air.
I don't loose any sleep over how many hams check-in
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: