The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looks Like someone has finally come up with a Cheap and Proper SS AMP Kit  (Read 18836 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2015, 02:07:28 PM »

So far this is looking like a real good 800W amp.  The price is amazing, I am still wondering how he can sell these at such a good price.  Looks like a lot of work to put together, it's no K3 type kit but it seems to include everything and represents that old heathkit type challenge.  I would buy one today just to check it out, but I have spent a lot of money this month and the YL would kill me.  If your going to purchase one please note the shipping amount.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KIT-HF-power-amplifier-Solid-State-DN-600-800W-PEP-4x-SD2933-VRF2933-SD2943-/131520050929?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9f34b6f1

I don't think you can beat that price per watt unless I am missing something in his description, I only spent about 15 min looking at it, I have to take the XYL shopping now.

Look at all the photo's, it seems to be complete. Let me know what you think or if I missed something.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W5SRT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 02:27:15 PM »

Hmm, now that is tempting.

But, is it too good to be true?Huh
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 02:45:34 PM »

If you have tons of time , why not?
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 02:52:50 PM »

Been waiting for some good feedback. But does look interesting. I wonder if some or all the hardware is metric?

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 03:32:43 PM »

Might be good.  Youtube of amp was uploaded three years ago.  So wonder why no one has seen before now?
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 03:33:30 PM »

Rob -

These designs have been discussed on several radio amateur forums.
This amplifier design is by R7ND (Russian callsign) -- who is Alex, UT2FW.

Tarasov Alexander Yu.
Reni, PO Box 65
Ukraine

His QRZ web page shows many of his designs, like the DN-2005 transceiver.
He has updated his original 1988 HF transceiver design over the past 25 years.
http://www.qrz.com/lookup/ut2fw

You can translate this web page via Google translate (GTranslate, upper right of web page)
http://www.ut2fw.com
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 03:41:15 PM by W9GB » Logged
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 04:25:50 PM »

I don't see any indication that it includes the transistors.  I could have missed that, but study carefully.  Also,  it appears that the front panel ans some other knobs an switches are options at additional cost.  So it may not be as complete a kit as you think.

Don,  K2DC
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 05:04:40 PM »

Reading the description about the middle of his page reads that transistors are included.
It does look like you have to buy front and rear panel parts.
Power supply is included? He mentions about buying a transformer.
Shipping the basic amp is $122.00. So the extras will add to the cost.
Probably approaching over $500 total.
There seems to be a slight language barrier to over come and an attitude "you buy it; it's yours....good luck"
If it really does what the claims; I would sell my just purchased ALS600!! I bought used for $1100.00 from HRO

Ques. Why would Ameritron make the ALS600 in two separate cabinets? This guy got it all in one cabinet!

Fred
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 05:24:47 PM by KC4MOP » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 07:27:25 PM »

Guys I just got back home and started to do some reading.  If any of you can read Russian it sure would help because googles translation is less than optimal for something like this.

I am still very enthusiastic about the amp but the one thing that comes to mind about this kit is the word "VAGUE".  The Youtube videos are Vague, the fact that no one else seems to have a build page or youtube video on one is strange and his wording of the eBay auction is Vague.

As far as I can tell he is saying that all you need is the pack of switches and buttons for $35 and a Heatsink and I guess the Switching Power Supply.  Please help and see what else we can dig up collectively.

Here is the forum link translated.  Look under the amplifier section and a long thread is there.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://www.forum.ut2fw.com/&usg=ALkJrhhkq5p2TS8CjKQj4FLDjrJ5BhSv2Q

73s
Rob
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 07:38:36 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 07:29:38 PM »

I am also wondering about the ALC control but I see it on the newer version by the Fan.
I assume this is the version that he has on eBay because it's different inside and matches the eBay Pics. And it now has a switching power supply built in.

This could be the real deal if we can find out more about the protection circuitry.

73s
Rob
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 07:36:57 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 07:55:01 PM »

Rob -

The MRF150 transistor design for an HF amplifier is not new, in fact it is over 2 decades old.
---
Have you examined the latest NXP and Freescale LDMOS, 1 kW devices?

Jim Klitzing, W6PQL (retired HP engineer) worked on his design for over a year,
based on his earlier work with VHF/UHF designs developed (and sells as kits or assembled).

1 KW SSPA for 1.8 to 54 MHz
http://www.w6pql.com/1_kw_sspa_for_1_8-54_mhz.htm

The cabinet consists of the front and rear panels and a floor plate Jim made by Front Panel Express (www.frontpanelexpress.com); they have design software you can download for free, which allows you to design custom panels and order them through their system. Their CNC machining process does all the hole cutting and engraving of those parts, and the panels can be ordered in a powder-coat or anodized finish.

The wrap-around cover and internal support brackets and tie-ins he made here; the standard color he used is light gray with a medium gray cover, but if you want to match existing equipment, many other color schemes are available (black anodized finish with white lettering for example). You can expect to pay about $275 for the panels if ordered directly from Front Panel Express, and the rest of the parts to make the cabinet will cost around $150. If you have your own sheet metal tools (shear and bending brake), you can save some $ there.

If you do want to go the Front Panel Express way, a block diagram of the amplifier, and my design files for the panels metioned above can be found in this folder.
http://www.w6pql.com/misc/hfsspa/
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 08:04:28 PM by W9GB » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 08:06:59 PM »

Gregory that's a much nicer amp and he seems to have a great design but he is not offering it as a complete kit.  What I like about this new version of the DN-600 is that he is offering a complete kit, unlike the older mrf-150 version DN-600 from last year.

The Switching Power supply is most likely an off the shelf drop in model so that's really not an issue.  What is of concern is the protection circuitry and the question of does the amp really work and if so how well does it work.

73s
Rob

« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 08:11:30 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 08:10:14 PM »

If you have tons of time , why not?

Bill your not kidding, it would take a great deal of time, but it could be a fun build if it works well and is not just a smoke maker Grin.

73s
Rob

W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 08:19:55 PM »

Alex, UT2FW isn't offering an Elecraft / Heathkit either, I view it as a kit of parts.

Jim does offer a Basic Kit, but he did not post that price.
I can tell you Jim's design is scheduled for future publication --
which will increase the interest, etc.

I highly suggest you check other amateur radio forums about UT2FW.
I have watched the eBay auction evolve over the last 6 months, as you noted.
I have read his answers to queries about his design versus other commercial offerings (Acom, Ameritron, Icom PW-1, Chinese, etc.).

Your "WildCard" is the Russian/Ukraine/Crimea situation.  
Are you confident enough in your bench / amplifier build skills to "self-support" ??
IF not, are you going to lean on N4ATS for resolutions?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 08:25:09 PM by W9GB » Logged
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 09:14:28 PM »

This looks like a cartoon looking for a buyer.  I would not buy anything until I see the assembly manual. Even if it is a real kit it would require certification buy the FCC. The KPA-500 kit has the RF deck prebuild to pass FCC regulations. Your transistors will run $300 for MRF-150's. A 600 watt amplifier will run you $800 in parts including the power supply.

There are no cheep amplifiers in the universe.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: