The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looks Like someone has finally come up with a Cheap and Proper SS AMP Kit  (Read 18829 times)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2015, 04:03:50 AM »

Does it include the necessary QRO low pass filters? Adequately  rated capacitors for those aren't cheap.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2015, 11:32:34 AM »

Hi Rob,

You must have missed the first part of his eBay answer:

Question & Answer    Answered On
Q:     Does this include the four SD2933 transistors?    May-25-15
A:     without SD2933

Wow that is quite the total price.  Ouch!

It was interesting to read all his description though.  Seems he really had a fight with Soviet RF transistors :-p  

Mark.

Mark I must have missed that.

The guy has what seems to be a good product, what he needs to do is bulk ship 50 or so kits to the USA and that way save the buyers the huge shipping bill.  He needs to source the FETS and PS and other items and buy them in quantity.  Then he needs to give away one or two kits to respected guys in the Ham community who will do YouTube videos of the build plus the tests.  If he did that he might be able to sell the complete kit for $1400. plus $40 shipping.  What he needs is an investor and US distributor to make this happen.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2015, 03:23:11 PM »

Quote from: KD8MJR
The guy has what seems to be a good product, what he needs to do is bulk ship 50 or so kits to the USA and that way save the buyers the huge shipping bill.  
He needs to source the FETS and PS and other items and buy them in quantity.  
Then he needs to give away one or two kits to respected guys in the Ham community who will do YouTube videos of the build plus the tests.  If he did that he might be able to sell the complete kit for $1400. plus $40 shipping.  What he needs is an investor and US distributor to make this happen.
73s
Rob
You have written a proposed business plan, but obviously don't have the finances to execute.
I suggest you "walk the venture capital centers" in NYC or California, if you desire to execute the plan.

Over the past 24 months, Chinese HF amplifiers, that were their versions of OM Power or Acom amplifiers, were shown and discussed for potential import to USA.  Distribution costs, low profit margins, product support, and legal issues were roadblocks for further consideration.

IF you bring 50 kits into the USA for sale & distribution,
THEN you would be expected to have those meet 97.307 (d).  
Attempt to Skip that Step -- then you should expect current USA distributors/resellers
 to file legal action against you the US distributor.
=====
IF you have a "Magic Price" (my guess is that your number is $1,000 or $1 power watt),
this will shorten the constant whining that I hear on HF voice bands.
Many of the numbers I hear are pure fantasy --- trying to bring 1970s equipment prices to 21st century without inflation adjustments.
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2015, 04:12:50 PM »

I know this guy personally.
He does not speak English. And using Google Translate services to translate some text.
I will try to help you, will ask him questions posted here and will post here his answers.

Thank you very much
Fred
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2015, 04:14:50 PM »

Quote from: KD8MJR
The guy has what seems to be a good product, what he needs to do is bulk ship 50 or so kits to the USA and that way save the buyers the huge shipping bill.  
He needs to source the FETS and PS and other items and buy them in quantity.  
Then he needs to give away one or two kits to respected guys in the Ham community who will do YouTube videos of the build plus the tests.  If he did that he might be able to sell the complete kit for $1400. plus $40 shipping.  What he needs is an investor and US distributor to make this happen.
73s
Rob

You have written a proposed business plan, but obviously don't have the finances to execute.
I suggest you "walk the venture capital centers" in NYC or California, if you desire to execute the plan.
LOL How would you know what I can afford to finance or not finance?  If I wanted to I could certainly do it, but Ham Radio is not my field of business and I don't have any interest in it other than from a hobby stand point.

Over the past 24 months, Chinese HF amplifiers, that were their versions of OM Power or Acom amplifiers, were shown and discussed for potential import to USA.  Distribution costs, low profit margins, product support, and legal issues were roadblocks for further consideration.

Not to mention the heavy Bias that we all have that Chinese made equipment is Junk.

IF you bring 50 kits into the USA for sale & distribution,
THEN you would be expected to have those meet 97.307 (d).  
Attempt to Skip that Step -- then you should expect current USA distributors/resellers
 to file legal action against you the US distributor.

Depends on how the kits are sold.  If they are complete, then yes.  If it's just a case and boards and a proper BOM list with part numbers and companies to order them from then it  possibly might not violate any rules.
=====
IF you have a "Magic Price" (my guess is that your number is $1,000 or $1 power watt),
this will shorten the constant whining that I hear on HF voice bands.

I don't have an amplifier problem, far from it, but there are many hams who would like to own an amp and the thought of building it themselves and saving money is appealing.  I guess that why there are so many SB-200 and SB-220's on the desks of ham operators.

Many of the numbers I hear are pure fantasy --- trying to bring 1970s equipment prices to 21st century without inflation adjustments.

Where do you get this stuff from?  Most 1970's electronics have dropped in price ten fold.  If HF amplifiers had large volume sales like TV's or Computers, the price would be less than 50 cents a watt.  It's only because Ham radio is such a niche market why prices remain this high.

BTW we could have had this same argument 6 years ago about HT's and you would have said that a $39 HT is pure fantasy to entertain whiners, if you want a good HT you have to spend $300!  Then came Wouxun and we had to listen to those same skeptics trying their best to find a problem with it.  Mean while those people who wanted a Good HT and did not want to spend $300 just went out and just bought the thing.  Well 4 Years later my Wouxun is still working great and most of the skeptics have also purchased one Grin
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:55:47 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2015, 06:03:52 PM »

I have been a ham for more years then I wish to tell. As far as I know a parts kit to build a transceiver or linear amplifier does not need to meet any FCC requirements. They are selling parts resistors, capacitors, transistors, coils and so on. They are not selling a commercially manufactured item, just parts. The ham putting those parts together be it a parts kit or a home brew kit, is responsible for it being compliant with FCC specifications. As a ham you should be monitoring the output of your station. If you are not in compliance with FCC specifications, it is you who are held responsible not the manufacturer of the equipment. FCC type accepted equipment allows the manufacturer to sell a piece of equipment that meets is specifications set up by the FCC for commercial sale of ham equipment. The ham operator is still libel for proper operation of this equipment. The operator can not over modulate an FCC type accepted linear and then say well it is an approved amp. and it is the manufactures fault. Again buying or selling a component parts kit does not require FCC type acceptance or approval. The builder is responsible for legal operation.

73s

K2OWK

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2015, 06:15:29 PM »

Barry that's how I understood it to be, that you could sell a complete kit of just parts and not need to have FCC certification.  Many have posted that even a partial kit requires FCC certification so I am just going along with that premiss.  Can someone else who knows the facts chime in and settle this.

Even if it is illegal in a fully formed Kit, I know it's not illegal in a Case plus PCBs and BOM fashion.  That actually works fine for me as long as the BOM is done properly and the assembly manual is done properly.  I can just buy the parts when I feel like and work on it slowly.

73s
Rob

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2015, 10:30:41 AM »

Where do you get this stuff from?  Most 1970's electronics have dropped in price ten fold.  If HF amplifiers had large volume sales like TV's or Computers, the price would be less than 50 cents a watt.  It's only because Ham radio is such a niche market why prices remain this high.

50 cents a watt is a pretty decent starting point to offer on many working used amps.

I doubt I will be buying an Alpha 9500 at 50 cents a watt!
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2015, 12:24:49 PM »

50 cents a watt is a pretty decent starting point to offer on many working used amps.

Maybe if you used pre-1965 50 cent pieces.   Grin
4X6HP

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2015, 11:51:11 AM »

Might be good.  Youtube of amp was uploaded three years ago.  So wonder why no one has seen before now?

DN-600 Power Amp, have a demand for HAMs from exUSSR countries (RU, UT, UN, EW, ER...) In this case, he is not interested about a troubles "to conquer" an American market. I mean FCC and other rules for successful KITs sale. But, he can send this kit, to any country. It can not be held for a no violations.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2015, 12:40:37 PM »

Apples and Oranges comparison.  In car lingo we are looking to get a car that can do 150MPH.
It does not have to be a Ferrari or Lambo.   What makes HF amps really expensive are the finals.  If the FETS used in HF amps were used in a lot of other products their price would probably be $10 a piece instead of $125 a piece.  Fully assembled amps would still be a bit expensive because of all the inductors that need winding and the fact that pick and place machines cannot populate these kinds of boards, but Kits could be cheap because you do all the tedious labor.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2015, 01:07:20 PM »

Might be good.  Youtube of amp was uploaded three years ago.  So wonder why no one has seen before now?

DN-600 Power Amp, have a demand for HAMs from exUSSR countries (RU, UT, UN, EW, ER...) In this case, he is not interested about a troubles "to conquer" an American market. I mean FCC and other rules for successful KITs sale. But, he can send this kit, to any country. It can not be held for a no violations.

4X6HP I have no problem with that explanation, what I don't understand is why no one in the exUSSR countries has made a video or webpage of themselves building the amp or even just one's showing it working.  Even UT2FW own videos are so blurry it's impossible to see what the power output is!  He has no videos of the inside of the amp, no videos of the actual kit itself or anything that would make a potential buyer believe the product works properly.  You say he has no interest in the US market but he is selling it on US eBay Huh

I would love to see this amplifier work, I was thrilled when I saw it on eBay, I was tempted to buy the kit when I saw it. I would have enjoyed putting it together, but without even an English assembly manual how would that be possible?    A shame because he might have a very good product but without proper documentation and promotional videos or at least customer feedback it's a $500 gamble for anybody.   BTW on eBay he had 60 views and hour at one point and now it's down to 4.  That shows what potential he has for US sales if he fixes those problems.

73s
Rob

4X6HP

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2015, 02:34:06 AM »

Hi KD8MJR,

What is your doubts? You do not believe that the DN-600 gives the declared output power? UT2FW have a forum for DN-600 discussing here: http://www.forum.ut2fw.com/
Here, you can see min and maxDN-600 power with SD4933 MOSFET: http://www.forum.ut2fw.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=244&start=120
Min power on 10m band - 700W, max power on 40m band - 900W.
If you can not see those web pages, let me know and i will post the fotos here.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2015, 04:09:27 AM »

Rob has a point. It is not so much a question of the power out, as it is being able to put it together. I think it is a matter of translation of the work instructions, and a better BOM for what is in the kit. Some things are mentioned in the text, but it is not clear, at least in English, what exactly is in the kit. And a BOM for every item needed to complete the amplifier that is not in the kit. That way, other then labor, a true cost could be calculated, and a comparison with other products can be made.

I was interested at first as well. And I have a fairly nice shop that I could build one. And it would be fun to record the build and testing for others to see. But without knowing for sure what I get, and don't get in the kit leaves too many variables. Some of which could be quite expensive, and my or may not make it the deal it appears to be.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
AC0TX

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2015, 12:45:29 PM »

Take a good hard close look at the circuit card that one has to build...

It is all surface mounted components!

Good luck with that!!
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: